A Moderator in Mexico 🇲🇽

Hola from Baja California, Mexico! My name is Karen Schuppert and I am one of your new moderators here on the Forum. I thought I’d share a few tidbits about what brought me to this special community…

As a devoted animal lover I have always been driven more by lifestyle than money. Prior to Baja I lived in Napa, California for 20 years with my husband, Jay. If you assume we’re into :wine_glass:, you’d be correct - not only as enthusiasts but also having worked in the industry which is where we met. This enabled us to travel the world, experiencing many cultures in many countries. The only thing missing were pets! We were concerned about having animals of our own due to our travels UNTIL we discovered TrustedHousesitters :dog2: :cat: :rabbit: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Fast forward to 2016 when Jay was looking to retire. My job as a nutritionist and holistic chef was flexible, as I could continue my writing, and teaching cooking classes in various locations. Once we joined Trusted Housesitters we were thrilled to find mutual animal devotees who could care for our furry ones in the comfort of their own home, while indulging fellow travelers in California’s premier wine country.

Four years ago through dear friends we found a beautiful home about one hour south of San Diego, where I now have the ‘ardent task’ of working in paradise with my sidekick, Ellie, who will be 15 in August :gift_heart:.

We’ve now completed over 45 sits (some were pre-TH) with each one being unique and special. We’ve cuddled some crazy cats in Carmel, doted on dogs in the Dordogne and even pandered to some pigs near Piedmont.

I am so grateful to be part of this supportive network and hope I can assist you with any questions you may have along the way. I look forward to seeing where your travels take you and the bonds you form with other people and their pets, too :earth_americas:

11 Likes

Welcome Karen and thank you for taking the time to share a little of who is behind Mod-cam :slight_smile:
Many of us have also been around a long time so feel free to chat us up as well, though I am certain you have most excellent support, it’s just nice to share adventures.
Hasta pronto
Amparo

4 Likes

Thank you, @Amparo. I have much more to learn than I know…so I appreciate the extra support out there!

2 Likes

@KarenS, it has been great getting to know you since all of us joined TrustedHousesitters and I look forward to more opportunities to meet up in the near future. Your office is a dream come true, and Ellie seems to approve as well.

4 Likes

I agree, your actual backdrop looks like my screen saver :rofl:

Wow! What a spectacular ocean view from your office, Karen, and congratulations on being a THS moderator. You are perfect for your new role!
We enjoyed meeting you in Little Italy Dog Park in San Diego last year and we appreciate you volunteering and helping us host TrustedHousesitters events.
Best wishes to your sweet Ellie for her Quinceañera!
Until our paths cross again, we wish you all the best.

4 Likes

Aw, merci beaucoup @Maryse! It’s been such a delight connecting with you and other pet sitters through TH in Little Italy, and beyond! I look forward to hearing about more of your animal trips this fall, especially in Portugal😻

2 Likes