About money

On some other forums, sitters seem to complain about money, want to be paid by owners, some think they “work” when owners “are on vacation”…

I do prefer there is never money implied. What do you think ?

For sure sometimes you’re surprised to see owners that ask a lot (mowing the property, which is big, watering many plants, welcoming plumbers and artisans, even the guests if they run a b&b) : they own donkeys, alpagas, dogs, cats, and many other pets sometimes.

Is money a criteria ? Personnally I was chocked last year when I read an ad where the owner explained he would pay (giving the amount) I thought it was against THS ethic… Am I naïve ?

3 Likes

I guess if you want to be financially compensated for house sitting one should use a different site.
Whilst it is lovely if a sitter could mow the grass I don’t believe this should be expected. My priority is someone to care for my animals.

5 Likes

Hello Corinne. Welcome. Where are you from with such a first name?
I agree with you that’s why i’m surprised when some sitters take for granted a free car and say they would appreciate a share of expenses to reach the sit.

2 Likes

Hello Corinne and welcome to our community forum, thank you for joining. Our forum community is relatively new and growing daily, we have both new and experienced TrustedHousesitters and it’s wonderful to have another owner member join the conversation, we’d love to have you share a photo or two of your animals and hear about some of your sitter experiences.

Thank you again, enjoy the conversations and making new and interesting connections with other TrustedHousesitters.

Angela & The Team

2 Likes

Think if it came to the part of money exchange.
I personally would give up sitting.
We our thankfull for basic fridge items.
We usually have our car.
If offered the use of Ho car to transport them to vets
Certain walks that requires transport .
Thats a bonus.

1 Like

I once considered offering money as I was in desperate need of a sitter at very short notice. I knew I may have to pay for a traditional “professional” sitter (I do not use that term to imply that sitters on THS are not professional. Merely to differentiate between that service and a sitter through THS). I saw the offer of money as an incentive to get someone to come sit for me at short notice. I contacted THS support staff to ask if this was allowed through THS. They persuaded me not to offer money, as that would take away form the mutual exchange ethos. In the end, I did find a sitter through THS, with a few days to spare and I did not offer money. I’ve hosted several sits since that time and I would never consider the offer of money again. I believe that it is a mutual exchange and when money comes into it, it changes the nature of it considerably. I always give as much information as possible in my listing, to give a real idea of what I hope from the exchange. Normally, in addition to the pet care, it is a small level of gardening work (mostly watering plants) and I list the time that it takes me to do this work. However, I always stress that this is more of a hope than a requirement.

5 Likes

Totally agree money changes everything.
Full times sitters may need to .
Travel etc to different areas am all for them receiving a gesture
From Ho.

1 Like

Hi Provence,
I’m from England and not sure how my parents chose my name as my siblings have quite common names for their age groups!
Is your name French?

1 Like

Well Corinne sounds french, is on the calendar (december 12th) ! Provence is the region where I live, my first name is french, yes

2 Likes

We were approached a couple of years ago by a homeowner in the same city as we live to housesit for her and she did offer us money. We politely declined and said it wouldn’t be ethical to accept money on this site as no money is exchanged.

3 Likes

We completely agree!

We’re full time house sitters and we’ve been asked many times as to why, with our experience and references, we don’t charge for our ‘services’. Ultimately, we love what we do and we choose house sitting as a lifestyle, not for income but for enjoyment. We both have professions that allow us to work remotely so thankfully money isn’t the concern. We’ve met so many wonderful people and pets along the way and the experiences have (at the risk of sounding like a Mastercard slogan) been priceless.

We feel that if we involved the exchange of money that they dynamics would change completely. We would risk loosing the sense of gratitude on both sides and the love and care that we put into every house sit we do would simply be expected because it was paid for. And, not understood as our contribution to the community and to our new friends.

With that said, this also means that we’re selective in the house sit and homeowners we select. We look for reciprocity, appreciation, transparency, warmness and hopefully friendship. :blush:

4 Likes

Hi. This is Frida from Los Angeles. The money question is a great one! I love that no money is exchanged. It means that trust, respect and kindness are encouraged. As a sitter, I treasure the friendships that are formed during housesitting. The funny thing is that my friends think it is strange to housesit for free. They definitely think I should be paid. I always spend tons of time cleaning the home / apartment when I leave. I probably overdo it but I want the owners to be delighted, comfortable and relieved when they return. I would love to hear how other sitters handle cleaning. Perhaps I’ll post a topic on the community board about cleaning :grinning:

7 Likes

I agree with the views here that this is not an organisation where money should change hands, unless in very exceptional circumstances.
As a sitter I would not expect it. Sometimes I have paid for things to be repaired on a sit as they were broken “on my watch”, other times, I have arranged the repair and the HO has paid as it was a fundamental utility problem (once a broken water pipe, once a gas supply issue).
As a HO I have never offered it, though I have had some people replying to my ads and telling me their daily rate. I live in Edinburgh and have always had a large number of applications, so I felt their approach was a bit cheeky.

4 Likes

Definitely not mandatory. I will say some of these sits I see posted look like full time jobs though and honestly maybe they should be paid. There’s a difference between a cat and dog and running An entire farm with strict rules etc. but I guess people choose to take these sits.

1 Like

People always are so confused when I say i do this for free lol. I can’t tell you how many people have told me how stupid I am for agreeing to it. Their loss

3 Likes

Sorry to sound rude but i think people telling you you are stupid to accept not to be paid are the stupid ones

There is reciprocity : a free home (+ garden, pool sometimes) on one side, light " work" on the other side. If walking a dog or feeding a cat is " work" and not pleasure

3 Likes

We have twice had accommodation paid for by the HO for the night before the sit commenced as they had no space with the family in residence and were happy to meet us before. One of these occasions turned into two days as they had to go to a funeral the day before the holiday, so we met the day before that. The B&B they put us in was beautiful and we felt completely spoiled, so not actual payment, just not being out of pocket.

4 Likes

Oh, agreed! I’ve had amazing experiences because I started housesitting and I wouldn’t trade it for the world

1 Like

I don’t personally think that, if a sit has an unusual amount of work, it’s unethical to accept payment if offered. As a sitter I’d never bring it up, just wouldn’t apply for that sit. As a homeowner, if I had some unusual requirements – like maybe I had a cat that needed to be taken to the vet every day for some treatment – I think I’d probably put in the listing that the sitter needed to be available to meet the person I’d hire to ferry the cat around. Then when I got an application I’d tell the sitter I was planning to hire someone, but that I’d also be happy to just pay them for that service instead.

1 Like

I agree. I saw a sit that was basically running a B&B while the owners were on vacation. It was basically a full-time job for a couple and required someone to be onsite 24/7.

2 Likes