Any visa problem while stuck in a foreign country (cf.Covid)

Noticing many of you are american, british, australian have you ever faced problems since march 2020 with a visa validity if you were stuck in a foreign country more than 3 months after the rise of the Covid ? How did you solve the problem ?
I guess it was not very easy to go to the foreign services during lockdowns…

If you stayed in your country, do you fear to go abroad in the future and to be stuck ?

Being french I sat only in my country or in England (at that time, before Brexit, still in european community)

2 Likes

Brillant question :thinking:

1 Like

We have been stuck here in Laos due to Covid for over a year now (American). Each month we have to go to the immigration office and renew our visa’s which are only valid for 1 month at a time. Many countries automatically extended your visa due to Covid. The government here has been very understanding of the situation and as of right now is letting anyone stay as long as there is Covid still active in other countries. Friends of ours in Thailand were only allowed automatic renewals of their visas until October 31st last year. Then they either had to leave the country or apply for a residency visa. Once we decide to leave Laos, we know we will not be able to return but are ready to travel again soon no matter what happens.

3 Likes

In Canada, since about a month, it is mandatory when you fly back from another country, to stay 3 days at your own expenses at a hôtel, near the airport. Theses hotels are part of a list given by the government. So, while waiting for your test result, you live there. If negative, you then go home and do your 14 days quarantine. If positive, not sure exactly what happens. We may never see you back again :slight_smile:
So with this measure, who wants to leave the country even vaccinated ? I will wait until everything cools down.

1 Like

I was in Singapore from March until June on a 3-month tourist visa. I arrived there the day before the border closed, could have been stuck in Malaysia. Once my 3 months were up I had to get a flight home to the UK, with no option to extend my visa. Flights were very few and far between, I booked 3 times with Turkish Airlines via Istanbul, and all 3 got cancelled. Eventually got the first BA flight from Singapore in June, which was only 3 days before my visa expired… not sure what would have happened if that flight had been cancelled.

3 Likes

Terrible for everyone caught up in this situation .
My pal got stuck at Christmas
The HO came home her early.
She had no choice but to leave .
We got her sorted out by calling anyone we knew who might have been in the area.
There was limited travel by train bus etc.
Its a lesson for all of us.
To have plan B at the ready.
Glad you got back safely Petermac.

1 Like

Normally, they will fine you for each day you over stay your visit. Some places it’s a heavy fine like $25 a day and possibly being banned from the country. Many countries made special visa provisions for stranded travelers so they could stay at least till last Summer.

1 Like