Bringing own pet along on sit allowed?

Hello all,

My fiancé and I have been HO members on THS for the past year and are considering upgrading to a combined membership as we’re now embarking on van life along with are lovely female feline Mystique, and are exploring options for alternative accommodations on our adventures. Since we’re both animal lovers, we thought this might be a win win situation for owners who require flexible sitters and ourselves who’d enjoy the amenities of a home once in a while.

So my question is - are there other sitters out there who have been allowed to bring their own animals along on sits?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Sincerely,

Dawn, Brad and Mystique

1 Like

Hi @DawnH welcome to our community forum, thank you for joining and how wonderful that you are going to enjoy both sides of our wonderful lifestyle, experiencing THS as an owner and a sitter does give one the unique perspective of being in both shoes, I have engaged sitters for my home and been a full time sitter since THS began.

There is a conversation thread around sitters traveling with their own dogs but not one focussed on feline family members.

It will be interesting to hear what our members say … There are sitters who successfully travel with their pets and enjoy a full pet and housesitting lifestyle but it will reduce your opportunities as It can be challenging introducing another animal into a pet’s own environment and problems may not surface until after the owner has left, a situation to be avoided at all cost.

Including Mystique in your profile is important so that owners know you travel as a family and if you’ve had sitters care for her including a few words from them about her behavoir and character would be helpful for prospectives owners, someone else endorsing her and not her family.

Enjoy the forum and connecting with other members and we look forward to sharing in your next THS adventure.

Angela and the Team

1 Like

Hi @DawnH , great to hear about your new traveling plans. I think that traveling with your cat may well limit the number of sits that you are selected for, but hopefully there will be some HOs who will be happy to welcome you all. The problem that we’d have as HOs is that one of our dogs is a lurcher…… a confirmed cat hater!
Good luck, Linda

1 Like

Hi Angela,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I very much appreciate your tips, I had of course planned on making sure HO’s knew about us coming as a family, but didn’t think of getting other sitters to vouch for her that’s a great idea!

Thanks again,

Dawn

1 Like

Hi Foldor13,

Yeah, it’s not something we’re totally counting on. Just thought it was an interesting possibility and wanted to see if it was acceptable practice. We were thinking more along the lines of applying for sits with other kitties mainly anyway lol

Thanks for the well wishes,

Dawn