Conclusion Of Pausing Application Test - Updated Post

Once we figured out this was happening (which wasn’t clear because we were never forewarned by THS, thus it had been stuck on five applications for a couple of days), I checked with the THS help files to see what the heck was going on. I signed up for the forum here, and saw Ben’s message about this being a test.

So, I wrote up a letter and copied it to each of the first five applicants. Basically, it stated that THS was running this test, and that we were going to have to push the Decline button just to allow others to apply.

I said, in the letter, that they were not REALLY declined at that point, but that I would be closing the application window the following week. At that time, they would receive a message that said that they were either chosen for a Zoom interview, or that I would formally decline them.

Then, I had to decline them AND go back and reopen the listing for others to be able to see it and apply.

I had to do that between every 4 and 24 hours for the next seven days or so until the end of the arbitrary window I had created had closed.

I then went back and once again copied and pasted over 40 times- “Thanks for applying, but…” or “Hey are you available for an interview”…

2 Likes

Well, that certainly makes things SO MUCH SIMPLER!

When doing your replies did you have to also face north while standing on one leg?

2 Likes

As clear as mud.
On a connected note, surely the extended period for the test must be now imminent? Any day now?

Ben,
When do you expect to let us know whether the automatic pause will become a permanent part of the THS software?

I’m not so much for the time window as much as they should up the applicants to at least 20. I live in a desirable area and get at least 5-10 send a fake applicantion but not interested in my summer dates, but I should consider them for winter dates and check out their profiles. Yes, I delete them immediately but i use to wait a few days to read all at once. Time is being wasted. If I were just on THS as a homeowner, I’d leave immediately, but I’m on as a sitter with over 25 5 star reviews, I’d have to start over but I do hope THS gets some decent competitiion and this is the time someone should jump on that, knowing so many of us are unhappy and they just don’t seem to care one bit.

1 Like

We have been told that it will be early this week.

3 Likes

@Ben-ProductManager so it’s now been 9 weeks. When can members expect an update?

1 Like

I opened my Saved Search as soon as it arrived but already a sit I would have applied for was Reviewing Applications. Saved searches now useless?

2 Likes

Hi Everyone, thank you all for your patience.

We understand waiting can be frustrating and it is not our intention to make you wait any longer than is absolutely necessary. The Team are in the process of completing the Test updated comms on this topic and will be publishing very soon.

Thank you all again.

Angela and the Team

1 Like

@Angela_L Thanks Angela. Where will this update be posted? By email to members? On the site? On the forum?

1 Like

Hi everyone,

As some of you already know, we have been testing pausing applications over the past 6-8 weeks, and I’d like to give you an update on our findings and next steps.

Firstly, thanks to everyone for your valuable insights, thoughts and feedback as we’ve tested this functionality. The needs of pet sitters and home owners have changed dramatically over the past several years, and we need to continuously evaluate how those needs are changing and adapt to ensure our member’s continued success. This test was part of that continuing evolution.

We have seen some very positive results following this test, and as such, have made the decision to implement the five application limit across the platform - with some key improvements to be made.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your ideas with us and we gave all suggestions careful consideration. For those of you in our forum who have expressed some concerns about this new process, we trust that you will find it helpful if we share some of the insights from our test with you.

What did the results show? We are always looking for ways to improve overall success on the platform. Previously, there were a couple of challenges: a small number of sitters taking a large majority of sits, and a small number of sits taking a large number of applications. This makes it extremely difficult for new sitters to find success on the platform, and means owners may fail to get applications.

As our community grows, it’s important that the platform works for all of our members - existing and new. This new process ensures a greater and more even distribution of sits and applications across the platform, which is a fair and positive change for our members. Ensuring sitter and owner success is also key in acquiring new owner and sitter members, which in turn creates more sit opportunities and sitters, benefitting all of our members.

Following our test, member success is now the best it has ever been. We are seeing:

• Overall, there are more sits happening than ever before
  • New member success is higher than before the test, and the highest this year
  • A higher percentage of owners are getting more applications
  • Owners are now more responsive and confirming their sitters faster than ever before
  • Sitters are also receiving quicker responses to their applications

We are also pleased to say that the quality of care given to pets and homes by our sitters has remained consistently high throughout this test.

Next steps: improvements are coming

The test also revealed some valid concerns with elements of the experience. Thanks to those of you who shared feedback and suggestions, these have led us to the following list of improvements that we will be making.

1. Sitters who have started an application will be allowed to submit it. Some members shared their frustration in having to write short or rushed applications to ensure their applications were one of the first five to be submitted. An enhancement we will implement is to allow any sitter who has started to write their application to submit it, regardless of whether the five application limit is reached prior to submission of their application. This will enable sitters to once again craft and submit well-thought-out applications.

2. Exact number of applications to be shown on listings. Currently, we show a range of the number of applications submitted for each sit (e.g. 1-3 applications, 4-7 applications, etc). Moving forward we will show the exact number of applications.

3. Sitters will be notified of unpaused sits via saved search alerts. If a sit matching the sitter’s saved search criteria is unpaused because the owner has declined some of the submitted applications and unpaused the listing, the sitter will receive an email and/or app push notification depending on their preference settings.

4. Paused sits will be visible within search results. Sitters will be able to find these sits in the ‘Owner not currently looking for a sitter’ section. They will also be able to favourite them and will receive a notification via the app if and when the sit is unpaused.

5. We will investigate the issue of paused sits being shown in saved search notifications. We’re currently looking into this to ensure that, at the time of being sent, only available sits (i.e. not paused sits) will be shown in saved search emails and push notifications.

6. Automatic listing boost for unpaused sits. When an owner unpauses their sit, we will automatically boost their listing. This will increase visibility in search results and saved search alerts, and will give owners a better chance of securing a sitter.

Some members were concerned about this new process affecting their chances of applying to international sits in different timezones, and suggested imposing a 24hr limit. We considered this suggestion, however, we found it reduced the positive impact on success that we saw from the test.

We understand that some locations have limited inventory, and those sits are extremely popular. Previously, these owners would receive up to 100 applications - this isn’t efficient and is difficult for owners to manage. We believe adding a 24hr limit would not improve this and instead we will be focusing on getting more great sits in popular locations on the platform, so that sitters have more choice.

Some other members also questioned how we settled upon the 5 application limit. We found that 5 applications are the right amount to help maximise member success. Our surveys also showed that most owners find 5 applications are just enough (or more than enough), and they can always unpause their listing to receive more.

(It’s also worth keeping in mind that this process will only affect a small number of listings, as only a small percentage of sits receive 5 applications within 24 hours).

We will further share this new process in our owner member newsletter later this month. We will also update some of our key owner and sitter emails with the new process. Owners will continue to receive an email when they have reached 5 applications, letting them know their listing has been paused, and a message will appear on their dashboards and in the member’s inbox, too.

Again, thank you all for your patience as we tested this new functionality, we will always value your perspectives and appreciate you taking the time to share them with us.

Many thanks,

Ben and the TrustedHousesitters team

3 Likes

Me too. I’ve lost two plumb opportunities in Florida … crying.

2 Likes

So, 99% of the comments here are negative from both homeowners and sitters with large numbers of five star reviews and you consider it a “success”?

Members will be leaving and your competitors will pick them up and they won’t be back.

I think we would very much like to see the actual numbers you say show this 5 application pause insanity produced such great statistics rather than the biggest pile of corporate BS since Jurassic Park, please.

download

11 Likes

I’ll admit that I’m disappointed that they won’t be considering a 24 hr limit, even 24 hrs AND 10 applicants etc.

4 Likes

Thank you for the update. It would be interesting to see the data you’ve based these outcomes on. Will this be made available?
I wonder particularly about the data supporting the idea that more sits are getting applications. As a sitter applying, for example, for sits in London if these are all taken it is not going to encourage me to apply for a sit in say Slough or Basingstoke. It will simply mean I don’t apply for anything and/or look on other platforms for a sit which is in an area where I want to be.
Also as a new sitter who joined just before the 5 application test I have not experienced any problem getting started having been offered two sits within days of joining. I don’t imagine my experience is unique. I realise I can’t generalise from my experience but would be interested to know the data supporting the assertion that more new sitters are now being accepted for sits.
Overall it is very disappointing that this is going ahead, even with the key improvements you refer to, given the strength of feeling against the move on this Forum which I can only assume is fairly representative of the membership as a whole.

11 Likes

I don’t think any of us were optimistic that our concerns were being taken seriously so this latest update has come as no surprise.
However, there’s quite a bit of reading in Ben’s post so I’m reserving comment until I have a chance to read it through slowly and give it careful consideration.

1 Like

I don’t understand what will be shown in Saved Searches. I have one and check it daily but it has become useless, and I even live in the same time-zone as the location. I don’t apply solely for snazziest sits, either. @Ben-ProductManager

1 Like

You said, “We understand that some locations have limited inventory, and those sits are extremely popular. Previously, these owners would receive up to 100 applications…”

First: some sit locations are extremely popular so they get more application - duh.

Second: in 3 years with THS I’ve never seen anyone get 100 applications. How many examples of that are there?

Third: Consider the 100 alleged applications problem. What could possibly be done? Gee, maybe the owner could have stopped accepting applications?! Or maybe at 25 THS might send an email asking if the owner wanted to keep receiving applications. This isn’t rocket science!

This is like learning that a few people are driving their car at 100 miles per hour and deciding the only solution is to restrict everyone to driving a maximum of 5 miles per hour!

14 Likes

We have just cancelled our automatic renewal due to this new policy.
Screenshot 2022-09-21 095252

(Yes, I know how to spell “excellent” but I’m very good at typos!)

8 Likes

The obvious answer to the above is that new sitters apply for all those sits that nobody wants!
I am very surprised and disappointed that you are persisting with this 5 application pause which is clearly very unpopular. Big shame.

8 Likes