Conclusion Of Pausing Application Test - Updated Post

Well said!
Basically, it’s a Catch-22. If you’re not familiar:
A no-win dilemma or paradox, similar to damned if I do, damned if I don’t. For example, You can’t get a job without experience, but you can’t get experience unless you have a job —it’s Catch-22.

3 Likes

Most of my concerns have been addressed by more frequent commenters, but boy, what a MESS.

I have been using THS less since this summer, in part because I now have to monitor it manually which is tremendously time consuming. Trying to find a weekend stay in New York or DC has become a veritable race to search and submit, which is extremely unpleasant.

In writing to ask a clarifying question of a HO I’m now forced to tell them to immediately decline my application so they can get maximum applicants. None have been aware of this new policy! As the platform has grown, HOs familiarity with post etiquette has declined accordingly. I’m having to ask these small questions more and more often – “How much do you want for heating?” - What are your arrival and departure times?" “Would an extra day of accommodation be possible?”

I am now taking up valuable slots by initiating a conversation with HOs, which is ridiculous. There are always going to be particulars that aren’t answered in the listing, especially since you’re talking about multiple people coordinating different schedules and plans, across international borders, with travel involved…

I am certain the member concerns are not going to be addressed in any meaningful way, but I’d say this was a huge usability fail. Why am I now responsible for communicating the platform’s limitations to HOs? Shouldn’t THS take ownership of this change?

Extremely unsatisfied, and definitely won’t be proselytizing about the platform any longer to friends, family, or acquaintances.

15 Likes

Corporate double-speak at work. Not that I am surprised that the pause is staying. There was an uproar about ID checks a few months ago, but they kept that also. If it makes more money for the company, they will proceed with the change and call it an “improvement” or “enhancement” (though it mainly improves the investors’ return).

5 Likes

I disagree that it was the previous system making it extremely difficult for new sitters. As new sitters less than 6 months ago we had immediate success with applications and were getting ‘unsolicited’ invites.

Clearly it isn’t working from the replies here, we are in our preferred house sit time zone now and still can’t get applications in before sits close, once we return to the opposite time zone there will be absolutely no chance. I can’t see how this benefits anyone - it would definitely be interesting to see the data.

Very disappointed that a 24hour minimum hasn’t been introduced, we won’t be renewing membership.

11 Likes

No surprise here, corporate talking points at their finest! @Ben-ProductManager, would love to see the supporting data from your “test”, but I’m sure that will never happen. May I suggest better communication regarding this permanent change, rather than the newsletter or blog, which few members read? How about an email blast to all members (your paying customers)?

11 Likes

Sadly I see this to be detrimental for both Home Owners and Sitters. Very stressful. I’m open to change, but this seems radical. A company’s that is set up to be kind to animals, but will now cause upset to us humans.
I don’t see this working.

6 Likes

Wow, this is really, really bad news.

As a sitter, this makes THS a lot less useful to me. And infinitely more stressful!

I guess I won’t be recruiting any more sitters for the site!
I used to describe trying to get the sit you want as “competitive.” Now it’s going to be full-on “cutthroat.”

What a shame that THS is now officially valuing speed over experience and/or quality.

15 Likes

I couldn’t agree more! ALL members must be notified IMMEDIATELY about this new policy - and should have been notified when the test began!

7 Likes

I agree an email to everyone is how this must be communicated.
Most people do not read the blog or the newsletter so relatively few people are aware of this change being implemented which is not accidental.
What does the line mean we will also update some of our key owner and sitter emails with the new process. Who or what are they?
This is a very important change in the terms and conditions as all sits are not available to apply to.

4 Likes

As a homeowner and sitter, I am incredibly disappointed in this decision.
We’re you even listening to the feedback during the trial period?

11 Likes

Funny, since @Ben-ProductManager claims that new sitters have a higher success rate since THS capped applications at 5 per sit. Hmm…

5 Likes

Pretty sure this thread will be closed soon.

My words exactly…

1 Like

Admin Notice:

We will keep this thread open for a week or so, as we want to make sure everyone gets a chance to share their views.

There are posts about censorship and removal of certain comments. May we remind all members that we retain the right to remove any comments that contravene the Forum T&C’s which as members you have all agreed to.

We would appreciate your cooperation in abiding by these rules, thank you.

Terms & Conditions
Forum Community Rules

We’ll also direct others to this thread, or even merge posts if we see members asking about the Pausing Applications somewhere else, or we discover members creating secondary threads about the same topic. It’s imperative we ensure capturing all of the questions you have about this in one place. If you see someone mentioning the changes elsewhere, please point them here, we’d really appreciate that.

We’ve put together a FAQs document which will answer any lingering questions you may have.

Thank you again for helping TrustedHousesitters to continue evolving to meet the changing needs of pet sitters and home owners around the world.

Angela and the Admin Team

As a THS member for 12 years with over 150 five-star reviews, this news makes me feel deflated. Having worked hard to build a strong reputation now it just feels like survival of the quickest.
We give great consideration to a sit before we make contact. There are many variables which need to be thought through. Now we don’t have that luxury, we will be forced to apply before we’re really ready to commit. That doesn’t sit well with me and I think it will lead to many mismatched sits. You seem to be judging ‘success’ as homeowners finding sitters - but true success is finding the right match, which doesn’t necessarily come about through jumping in because you’re afraid you’ll miss it… Now its a case of ‘you snooze you lose’. We have repeat sits that go back many years, but I don’t think this new system will encourage those kinds of meaningful relationships so much.
Not everyone is hovering on their devices all day long waiting for sits to show up. Some of us just take a look once a day in a leisurely way because that’s all we have the bandwidth for… Now we are being forced to become constantly in the game.
I may be wrong, but this seems like a big mistake. Your data may tell you one thing, but people will vote with their feet, you can be sure of that.
Also… how come, as longstanding members who have helped THS become what it is, we were never asked directly about any of this? Feels like its being taken for granted that we will all stick around for these changes. The jury is out on that…

23 Likes

Hi @anon1411559 and all members.

The only mechanism for closing this thread will be member’s comments and responses. If, as we trust, they are kept respectful, on topic, are not inflammatory in anyway ie. inciting members to contravene the Forum’s T&C’s and Terms of Use and stay within our community guidelines then it will remain open.

The choice really is up to you, our community.

Thank you.

2 Likes

For sure this will backfire I feel. Sitters will make very very hasty applications without even having the time to read through the reviews left by other sitters…then homeowners will probably have to deal with cancellations…
I see it like a quiz show with fingers on the buzzers even when the participant doesn’t know the answer as hasn’t had time to hear the question if you get my drift. I’m v disappointed

9 Likes

Very, very disappointing.

11 Likes

I will likely keep using THS myself, because the sits I look for tend not to be what would be considered popular.
But I’ve brought in a lot of new members — those recommendations stop now.
I’m a sitter — if I were an HO, I’d be really mad.

9 Likes

@Ben-ProductManager @Angela_L, any idea when we can expect the rollout of the “improvements” as listed above in Ben’s announcement? I imagine that this could be a big factor in your customer’s decisions to stick around, going forward.

3 Likes