Conclusion Of Pausing Application Test - Updated Post

Cool. So the new rule probably isn’t impacting you at all. For those of us that do sit internationally, and would like to be in popular destinations its a PITA. We are confident that homeowners would see us as very desireable aitters. We care a lot about the pets, are very respectful of homes and put in 1110% effort to make sure pet parents requiremwnts are met. As evidenced by more than 45 5-star rwviews. But this new rule means we dont get the chance to even apply.

8 Likes

@Timshazz yes it’s impacted me. I’ve been unable to apply to a least 10 sits I was interested in.

4 Likes

Apologies. I thought you were saying you were applying to less desirable sits so the rule change wouldn’t affect you. Obviously it is, as it is for many of the rest of the members.

1 Like

Agreed. There are SO many suggested changes that would improve the user experience that would take minimal effort (compared to the resources needed to combat the bad feelings around this latest ‘improvement’. )

2 Likes

If “most sits don’t reach the 5-application limit”, then what is the harm in raising the application limit to 10? or 15? or 20?
At the 5 limit, Sitters still have to rush to submit an application, or stalk the THS website multiple times a day to see if a paused sit comes back into open applications.
Homeowners who have popular postings, are being forced to decline sitters they may not look 100% perfect on paper, just for the possibility of the perfect sitter seeing their ad in the next 24 hours. Who knows if that not so perfect sitter would of been the best if they had 10 other applications to review.
This 5 application limit is very bad for sitters and homeowners.

11 Likes

I agree this has affected me many many times. I just look at my “saved favorites” that are “looking for a sitter” and 55% of them have paused “reviewing application” notices. YES I counted!
I don’t see how limiting connections on a website that is supposed to facilitate connections is an improvement. Not all “improvements” are good.

16 Likes

HI Timshazz,
I so agree with you!

3 Likes

Sorry, buth this has nothing to do with the 5 application rules. It makes the failure clear whitin your system as to the alerts.

I have just received, a few minutes ago, your daily alerts, and there are 4 out of 7 alerts I didn’t even receive today that are no longer available. So not all reactions can be put under the same subject, just too diverts the attention.
@Angela-HeadOfCommunity

4 Likes

BRAVO for limiting applications to 5 house sitters. As a house sitter it drove me crazy to apply first and then the house owner waited 4 weeks until even opening my message and there were then 40+ applicants which then meant my application was at the bottom of a pile of applications. This is a far better system. I am also a house owner and today I discovered this when I posted my home and 5 applications rolled in under an hour and it automatically paused applicants. Very nice! Thanks for the upgrade.

6 Likes

Well, we doubt we will be renewing our membership since the ‘pause’ was introduced which has no benefit ( in fact is a disbenefit) to both sitters and owners. Perhaps if we all did the same it might bring THS to their senses, reverse the pause, and we could all revert to the pre-pause situation ?

5 Likes

Hi there,
There is something really upsetting about the new way of who gets in to the first 5 applications for homeowners to review. From the newsletter it seems to suggest that newbies get to go first if there are more than 5 applications? Is this true? So experienced sitters are being prejudiced against? And how could you say that that is maintaining a top quality of pet care? Newbies need to do what we all did. We started off with small sits close to home, got experience and got our reviews up.
This is an extremely disappointing decision and you need to reverse it immediately. It is up to the home owner to decide who they want. It should be first in first read as far as I am concerned.
AH

7 Likes

Good morning Ben.

Just a little message from me, it’s just a ‘wanted to let you know’ type message, not a rant or Mrs Angry note.
Following the introduction of the 5 applications then pause feature, I’m so tired as I am not getting quality sleep anymore. I’m looking for sits in Australia (I am in England) and so far there has been three I’ve not been quick enough to apply for as I needed to do a bit of research first, before they were paused. I should be sleeping not on my phone. I am sure there are others that I simply don’t see whilst
in the land of nod.
I understand that this feature isn’t going to change and that your research delivered the results that it did, but I do think it important that the company hear feedback on the impact their decisions have made from the users of the site; good or bad.
Apart from that, as a member of THS, I’m very happy. :grin:

12 Likes

@Daisy999 woke up to 5 Europe sits I couldn’t apply to because they are currently reviewing. One I had as favorite and got a notification , but too late. I’m in the US and I was sleeping. So bummed

9 Likes

I understand how you feel, it’s not nice to feel this way day after day.

3 Likes

So from what I have read in the newsletter it seems that experienced sitters are being put last in the queue of applications? Is this true?
DH

@Del not sure about that but it’s definitely turned into a game of chance. Only If you are lucky enough to see a certain listing come up do you get to apply.

3 Likes

No, whilst I am no fan of the 5 applications process I don’t think there is any suggestion it puts experienced sitters at the back of the queue. Whoever is in the first 5 is in the first 5 new or experienced.

7 Likes

I am also not a fan of the 5 application deal! It’s just another way to get us to have to constantly be checking the site for potential sits!

6 Likes

From talking to HO’s it seems clear they have no idea they will only get 5 to pick from at this point. That has been communicated very poorly and also makes no sense. The ones I’ve spoken to don’t like it at all and sitters clearly don’t like it. Please make it stop!!!

4 Likes

I have been listed for someone to watch my kitty for a few days and just discovered that it was paused - not by me! I saw that I had an applicant and after searching around the site, found where I could “unpause” my listing. However, now I can’t see the applicant at all. This is extremely frustrating. Why is it automatically paused? Isn’t it better if the HO decides how many applicants are sufficient and the HO controls the pause?

How do I see the applicant. I see many posts complaining that they haven’t received responses - probably because of this issue - the HO was unilaterally paused and we can’t see your application. Any assistance with this matter and ideas are most appreciated. Thank you.

2 Likes