Confused about protocols for applying for sits

Thank you.

1 Like

I think most HOs are too relaxed in their response times and then they struggle to find a sitter. The vast majority of my sits that I book are finalized within 24 hours of me applying. I always apply for multiple sits at one time and it’s really common for a HO to come back a week later and offer me a sit so I have to tell them I’m already booked. I imagine that after a week of no response, most sitters have moved on so the HO needs to start from scratch. It might be interesting to show stats to HOs about how quickly most sits are confirmed after the listing goes live and emphasize that moving quickly with their responses can help ensure that their first choice sitter is available.

3 Likes

Great idea!

1 Like

I’m finding one of the many good things about this forum is hearing the pet owners point of view. I really didn’t know how they coped with applications. Now I have a better idea.

3 Likes

Hi

I am new to TH. You are definitely my sort of HO. Warm regards. Caroline

1 Like

We (HOs) aren’t all like that! I always immediately respond so the sitter knows my timeframe and that I read their application. Keep trying!

4 Likes

Julia, agreed. I’ve received several invitations for sits that I have not applied for and I always respond immediately. It’s just the courteous thing to do. I try to treat people the way that I would like to be treated.

3 Likes

I do wish HO’s were clearly told how to send a group message in the messages such as “I have received all your applications and will be looking them over this weekend and making a decision soon” and then “Thank you all for applying. etc etc but we have now chosen a sitter. etc etc.” It would be far better than just a “your application has been declined”.

2 Likes

I have this question too but maybe it is only for that group of HO who do not check messages. When I first joined, I applied to one and month later, as the first date approached she had NOT read the message yet. I moved on but didn’t know about unapplying.

I found that almost half of the HOs either do not open the applications or they open them after a delay, then another delay while they respond.

2 Likes

As soon as I submit an application, I archive that message. Out of sight, out of mind. If they respond, it’ll pop back up in my inbox. If they don’t or don’t even read the message, I’ll never know and I’ll have already moved on. It’s a mental game as it’s easy to see archived messages, but I’ve found it helps me a lot to not obsess about if my message has been read.

6 Likes

Thank you! Excellent advice!

I have two questions about applying for a sit.

1. Is it appropriate to “apply” (inquire seems better suited) to a sit asking if their dates are flexible? There is a sit that overlaps by 3 days with another sit that I may be interested in.

2. If in the listing the HO is requesting a single female and would like you to stay for 7 to 10 days before they leave which we are not interested in doing and we are a couple instead of a single female. Would it be worth applying for the sit? Instead of coming 7 to 10 days, we can offer to meet in person beforehand and arrive a few days beforehand.

I’m interested in hearing any thoughts the forum members have.

1. Sure. I have asked that, and in many cases, HOs have said, “yes we have a neighbor come by for a few days.”

2. Why do they want sitters there for 7-10 days before they leave?
    My guess would be that they want to “observe” the sitter/sitters. A big no from me, regardless of the reason.

1 Like

I would not apply for any sit requiring me to be there for 7-10 days prior to them leaving. I’ve sat for mini farms and needed less time for training. To me that’s a HUGE red flag that the HO is likely to be overly demanding and high maintenance.

I once applied for a 4 day sit (not on THS) and it turned out the HO was only going to be gone the last 12 hours. She wanted me there 3.5 days early to train me how to care for her dog for 12 hours. I kindly passed.

2 Likes

Thank you @Katie, that is helpful. I did think that asking to be there 7 to 10 days prior was a bit unusual.

1 Like

I appreciate your insight @CreatureCuddler! Thank you.

3 Likes

Yes, i totally agree.
I have applied for 4 recently and all have been read. Just a short note to say thanks but no thanks or thanks for the application, I am in the process of considering etc. would be appreciated.
I know having a stranger look after your home and wanting the right person/people is something to take careful consideration with; but it is difficult when you want to plan your month.
The HO taking months to pick but communicating is something I wish others would do.

I have had a similar experience, in general. Typically when I am accepted for a sit, I heard from the HO right away, immediately after I submitted my application (within 24 hours). If a few days go by, and I see that my application has not even been read, I definitely begin to feel that it is unlikely that I will get the sit. Sometimes I think owners cancel their trips and forget to remove their listing! I will see the listing still on THS right up until the day that a sitter should arrive at their house! Strange but it happens. Not sure why.

2 Likes

Those are good points. :grinning:

Yeah, I applied for one this afternoon and heard straight back from the homeowner within the hour and was accepted. The homeowner sounds lovely, has a spacious backyard, great facilities for my two children (yes, I am a married house sitter with two kids!)
and wants to make sure that she accommodates us while I look after her two doggies.

The other 4 have my application just sitting there having been read but I did notice that those ones usually have fabulous bonuses like swimming pools, use of car, new devices to use (like coffee machines) or the establishment is brand new, new or in a very attractive desirable location, with over 4-7 applicants.

I do agree that circumstances may have changed and we need to factor that in. I don’t think much of the applications that just sit there anymore. The sits I have been successful with got back to me quickly and I endeavour to do the same.

2 Likes

You made a fabulous suggestion. I am about to do that!

1 Like