Could you add sitter arrival and departure dates?

Would it be possible to add ‘sitter arrival’ and ‘sitter departure’ date and times to the owners listings?

One of the biggest issues with all sits is confirming exactly when home owners require the sitters. Extra dates would be a massive help.

This is a great idea. As homeowners, we never know whether to post the dates we will be gone, or the dates we’d like the sitters to stay. For example, if we have early morning flights, we would like the sitter to come the night before. Having a way to clarify that when we post would make things much easier.

6 Likes

That’s exactly the issues we’ve always had with dates. Late nights, early mornings and which dates to use.

4 Likes

Good idea but I always check with the owners anyway.

4 Likes

This is always an area we must discuss carefully, and have had dates get messed up more than once. This would be a Huge improvement. It is critical information, and should be detailed in the official paperwork, and not just worked out verbally.

3 Likes

I also think it would be great to add a TimeZone indicator with perhaps a hyperlink to a page that includes all of those codes and a time zone converter. I haven’t done any international sits yet, but I know this to be a big part of the planning.

4 Likes

@Jon-JWalking this is great feedback. Earlier on in the year, we tried to tackle this problem and make the dates screen clearer, will review this again!

3 Likes

That would be helpful. We always try to book into somewhere close to the start date for the night before in case HO want us to arrive early. When they next say can you come the day before, we’ve already paid for that night😆 but hey ho we get to have dinner with the owners and a longer meet up so we certainly don’t mind that.
We always have a chat with owners say a week before on timings. Oh talking all about this, what we do, how some of our house sitting works is making me miss it even more. It was only a couple of weeks we had little Mabel in Dundee for 25 days, but it seems ages ago, oh here comes a puppy to pet, must go :joy:

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forum Community … @Abeona it’s so great to have you in our team of testers. Enjoy and again welcome!

1 Like

I think it either needs to be clearer to the home owners that the dates are when they require sitters to arrive and depart rather than when they actually go on holiday. Perhaps times would help as it could focus their minds as to what exactly is required.

2 Likes

You’re so right. It’s absolutely critical information that should be on the listing and the sit details rather than just word of mouth.

2 Likes

@Julie The number of times we book the previous night somewhere thinking we’ve got it all sorted out and the owners suddenly let us know that they need us that evening!

3 Likes

When you want the sitters the night before your departure, do you host them or do you mean they have to find a hôtel nearby ?

3 Likes

@Provence If owners want us the night before then we stay with them but I was referring to when we have booked hotels and they change their minds on arrival dates.

3 Likes

YES!!! :wink:
This is a huge issue.

The status quo is no clear definition of when the sit will begin and end…for example, if the sit begins on the 1st and ends on the 7th, I expect to arrive, like a hotel, at a normal, 3-4 pm check-in time, and depart before noon on the 7th.

I’ve had homeowners expect me to arrive at 8 AM and stay until 7 PM!! I’ve had owners expecting me to arrive on the 6th! I’ve had owners expecting me to depart on the 8th! Neither of these are huge problems, as I’ve typically been flexible, but on occasion, the S___ hits the fan.

3 Likes

I’ve had both scenarios: Owners I stay with the night before and owners who arrange lodging and pay. I’ve also arranged lodging for myself. The real issue is when I must drive 8 hours to arrive at a housesit and they want me there at 8 AM!

This only happened once, with a repeat owner. Initially I asked if they’d pay for half the lodging (about USD 50) for the night so I could drive only 30 minutes to arrive at 0800. They declined, so we agreed that since I had sat for them before, I knew the dogs care routine, and house, so I could arrive at noon. Still had to depart at 0400 to arrive!!!

Why @Samson owners did want you to arrive early and not the day before ?
They could not lodge you the night before ? Their home was too small with no guest room ? You would have been obliged to share the bathroom ?
You knew the place, why did you go back if driving 8 hours was so much tiring ? Can’t you afford a near by B&B ? I’m curious. Pet sitting is not slavery !

I never dared ask any owner to share my expenses when I decided to book a hotel the night before an early plane, instead of driving at dawn.

1 Like

What is your point?

Well @Samson i was surprised owners did not welcome you more nicely and that you were obliged to leave your home at 4 a.m. because they declined to share the price of a hôtel.
I would have prefered to pay a hôtel. Than arriving tired and anxious to reach the place late in case of problem (tyre etc.)
Being more often an owner than a sitter i think pretty rude they have not welcomed you the night before (unless it was a small flat), but i’ve been surprised you asked them to share your expenses
Once they refused, i guess the relationship has become a little tough…

2 Likes

I still received 5 * review for the sit.

3 Likes