Do you give your téléphone when you apply?

Do you suggest to be called on your first message ? Do you think you’ll get more answers doing so ? Do you wait for the owner’s answer before giving your personal informations such as family name, telephone, mail adress ?

1 Like

I don’t give contact information in a first message, but I do finish by saying that I would be happy to supply more information or to discuss the sit by phone or Skype if the owner wishes. That leaves it open for them to request a call if they are interested.

4 Likes

Hi @MinervasGran how are you? Welcome to our wonderful Forum community!

We have a great group, some are seasoned Forum users, having been in our team of testers, others like you are new here but everyone has a common goal, to connect and have great conversations, we hope you will enjoy being part of our Forum story.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’ve often given my Phone which did not mean i was called back. I’ve been afraid to sound “pushy” but some owners called me instantly. So i keep the option. Question of feeling…

1 Like

Personally, I would never give out my phone number but that’s largely because I wouldn’t answer! I get so many spam calls that I rarely answer when it’s a number I don’t know. I also do not keep my phone on during the day when I’m working, so I might not pick up for that reason. I don’t really think it’s necessary to include a phone number. We end every application with the offer to do a video chat at their earliest convenience, and that has worked swimmingly so far =)

2 Likes

How do you make a vidéo chat ? Via Skype ? So you give your nickname on Skype ?

1 Like

We do exactly the same. Always offer a video chat or call if they would like one. Many owners ask for one too.

2 Likes

Skype, Whatsapp, Duo, Facebook messenger, whatever people already have and is easiest. We just mention that we’d love to connect further via video, mention a few options, and let them lead the conversation. I don’t give out my usernames in the first message for the same reasons I don’t give out my phone number. I don’t have notifications on to protect my work flow during the day, so I’d rather arrange a time and talk then.

4 Likes

I give my phone number saying I’d be happy to WhatsApp or Skype, although I don’t give out my Skype details. I don’t see it as pushy, just showing a willingness to communicate which is a key part of any sit. At the same time, I don’t think it’s made the slightest bit of difference to any application.

2 Likes

You’re so right Gillian, giving your number is helpful but never affects the application. We do the same thing.

2 Likes

@Jon-JWalking @Gillian, I think it may help : being a foreigner, I think english speaking people might doubt I understand english (my profile can have been written by somebody else or mistakes corrected) They may want to check I’m fluent as I pretend to be.
As an owner I ask in my listing sitters who do speak french, and I say that I will check, talking with them. So suggesting owners to call me is a way to proove what I pretend, speaking their language easily, is true
2 times I’ve been called back in less than an hour, once by an owner who selected me immediately (officially on THS site) , the second time as I had written in spanish to the owner (who was south american) she called me for a future sit (with Covid I could not go to England)
When you suggest to have a chat via Skype, or Whatsapp, you do it only once an owner has already replied positively ?

2 Likes

Thus far I haven’t provided a number, except once where we happened to be in the same city as an owner & could have called in to see them had they wished (they didn’t!). But: from now on I will, having read the thread. Seems like a win-win idea to me. We are retired & have no concerns about being interrupted so thanks for the tip/suggestion @Provence.

3 Likes

@Provence I always offer a chat on WhatsApp or Skype at the end of my application message. No-one, so far, has ever called without first messaging and we agree a date and time. By doing this in the first mail, I feel that I am one step further forward towards meeting the owners. If I didn’t do that then there would be an extra exchange of emails with the owner asking if you are available for a chat, then saying yes, then arranging the chat etc… It shortens the process, I think.

In my application I always, also, mention my level of language of the country that the sit would be in. I agree, it’s important, and a benefit to our application if we are able to show an ability to communicate in the relevant language.

I also really like to see a person on Skype or WhatsApp video to get a feeling of how they are. Once, I had a Skype call with a couple and they didn’t put the video on saying they were in their pyjamas and not presentable. I felt a bit weird about not being able to see them and was a bit unsure about the sit until I got there. The sit went very well and the couple were lovely. So all good!

4 Likes

I would either give them my nickname on Skype for a Skype video call or we have a video chat on WhatsApp.

3 Likes

Exactly what we do Gillian.

2 Likes