Do you leave guns in homes?

We, europeans, are not allowed to carry and own guns, not allowed either to film our staff (a topic on cameras has been open)

Due to last events in Boulder (Colorado) I wonder whether American owners (not Canadian, from Usa only) leave their weapons when they go on holiday and choose a pet sitter. Do they lock them up in a special closet ? Hiding the key?

Do they warn sitters they are weapons in their home?

Are sitters (American again) aallowed to bring their own guns? Is it allowed when you sit in a remote place in USA to carry guns ?

3 Likes

Provence: This is a great topic to discuss. I am in the US and have never thought to ask home owners about guns. I have never seen any guns in the houses that I have sat, but they may have been in areas that I did not access. I need to add this to my list of questions. I don’t carry one or know anything about shooting, but it would be good to know that any guns are securely locked up in a home when I am there.

5 Likes

The thought of them frightens me.
Would rather not know about them.
My hubby on the other hand would be more interested.

1 Like

We did a sit in Nicaragua for US expats who told us there were guns in their bedroom, which they would keep locked. We hadn’t really thought about it until then, but of course remembered also that many people in the UK and Europe own shotguns for hunting purposes which by law have to be kept in locked cabinets, so we do always ask that question now.

I think when we get back to international sits we’d continue to ask about guns, especially in the US. It did make me nervous in Nicaragua knowing that guns were in the home. No-one has ever volunteered this info before a sit only at handover or when we’ve asked.

Another perspective on the conversation, the “Chasse” in France (and Spain and other countries) is extremely popular in the rural areas and we’ve actually been advised on a French sit this winter to wear a flourescent jacket (and the dogs had them too), if walking on hunt days. I’m glad that season is over. Although they do mark the hunt areas and have wardens, accidents still happen. Best to avoid countryside walks on those days.

Interesting topic.

2 Likes

Hi @vanessaanderson, unfortunately hunters are still a hard “force” in France (although their political influence is decreasing) : nobody can understand if you don’t know french history

Before french Revolution, only aristocrats were allowed to hunt, if peasants hunted, they could face death penalty ! So since then, hunters do claim their right to hunt (as american claim their right to use guns following their Constitution)

So now that more and more french citizens complain about hunting because they live in towns ( "chasse "is still allowed on wednesdays, children day off, and week ends in rural areas) we face accidents : hunters shooting walkers, dogs. Coming inside private properties. Not paying attention to limits.

Thanks for the history, I knew a little but not about facing death penalty! I feel it’s safer in France generally than when I lived in Spain, where there was no organization, and it was easy to simply walk into an area of hunting, usually apparent by the number of cartridges on the ground! We used to simply stay off the land on weekends!

I think most Europeans like us are used to hunting traditions (whether we agree or not, they are part of our cultures) and I agree, it doesn’t result in same level of violence against people as in other areas of the world. I’ve talked to sitters however who have been surprised to discover shotguns in a property in Europe, so this is a real good topic you’ve raised.

1 Like

We hesitate to even respond, as this is a very politically charged topic. Laws across the world, from country to country and state to state vary. So, opinions and beliefs aside, it seems that it comes down to ones own comfort and safety.

Transparency and honesty is always best when house sitting, no matter the subject, from what a financial cap would be for treating an injured pet, to if there are guns in the home. It’s not our place to make judgements on the homeowners stance, however it’s best for us to be informed.

When it comes to weapons, we don’t have children house sitting with us, so we have less concern of our safety if there’s a weapon in the home. We of course want an owner to have it in safe keeping (safety on, unloaded, and locked), but it is not a question we ask, nor have we ever been told there was one in the home (that we recall). On the other hand, if we had a child who could find something that would put them in danger, we would add questions to our list of child safety precautions, not limited to but likely including weapons in the home.

2 Likes

Thank you @Provence We think this is a great topic for both people who are unfamiliar with guns, as well as those (including Americans) that are. It’s important to keep in mind that what might be unusual or scary to someone, might be common place and even expected to someone else. So, whatever the topic is, being understanding of a different culture and the history of it is important.

Lastly, if something truly scares you, even if you believe it’s bad, it’s not necessarily a terrible idea to familiarize yourself with it. A car, a weapon, a belief, an appliance, etc. all become less likely to harm you if you know how to operate them. And knowing that, doesn’t mean you empower the object, instead it empowers you.

Again, we mean this in the most objective manner possible and that this could apply to nearly any politically charged object or belief. :grinning:

1 Like

I must apologize, I made a mistake : if only nobles could hunt (since 1396 until 1789 where all privileges were abolished) if peasants could be killed when they hunted for themselves, death penalty was not applied always after the end of the 17th century. Louis XIV took an ordonnance for “clemency”
For french speaking members :

2 Likes

Interesting question! Never crossed my mind to ask, to be honest. But we tend to house sit in mostly urban environments where there is less gun culture and not nearly as many ppl have guns (anecdotal evidence/my experience, idk the stats!).

2 Likes

I’ve had one sit with a giant safe I assumed had lots of guns in it. As long as it’s away I don’t care

1 Like

We did a sit in Colorado. When my husband asked for keys to the house, the HO looked a little nonplussed, and couldn’t find any. “If you are worried, there’s a loaded revolver in the drawers by the bed, have you shot a gun?”
It was my husbands turn to look horrified.
There was also a gun cabinet for rifles with ammunition in the back hall, unlocked.
It was a little unnerving, particularly as one evening we got back to realise that plants that had been outside were now inside. They had rung a friend and asked her to bring them in as snow was expected…

1 Like

Hi @JackieX I know the feeling as a Brit who became a Canadian guns were used by many for recreational purposes so I became used to them being “around” but one sit in LA which the owners said was the safest area, I don’t scare easily having lived all over the world, when he showed us the bedroom it was a metal lined door and there was a gun cabinet (secured) in the corner “Only as a precaution” it was a great sit, amazing area and I couldn’t see the need for either “precaution” … each to their own.

The most important aspect is that any firearms are securely stored, not loaded and laying around as you experienced, safety is paramount.

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Welcome JackieX, I would be horrified too. Next time I want to sit in USA, I’lll ask first if the owner has guns inside. But I may never sit over there…

1 Like