Do you pet sit sometimes with your pets?

Do some of you have pets and do you manage to bring them ?
If it sounds easier when there is only a home to look after, have owners ever accepted when there are other animals ?
Is it easier when there is only poultry, horses, donkeys, than dogs and cats ?

do you travel with them ? By car ? van ? plane ? (public transportation I doubt… although I’ve seen dogs in the metro in Oslo, in buses too in England, which is unconceivable in France.)

Were the owners scared ? The animals scared ? Yours ?
Lately I saw an ad to look after a puppy, I applied explaining I had adopted a puppy too and it could be fine if the 2 socialize but I never got any answer

1 Like

I don’t have any pets at the moment and it’s rare that a housesitter with a pet (usually a dog) is taken on for obvious reasons although it can happen. You’re more likely to get a sit without taking a pet along I believe.

1 Like

When we chatted last february with one owner for a sit to be done the following august she saw on my profile we had a dog. As she planned to take her 2 dogs with her during her stay abroad, she invited us to bring our own dog.
I refused as if my border collie was for sure used to our cat but I was afraid he could chase other cats…
When he fell ill in may (lung cancer)I did not want to leave him in hands of the sitters who were coming home while we were sitting in England, I did not want to cancel both sits either so I finally accepted her generous proposal. By the time it was time to go to England, Nuage had unfortunately passed away.
But it gave me the idea to bring my new dog in the future. May be it’s much better to wait for the owner’s proposal than asking…

2 Likes

Hello! My boyfriend and I have been sitting full-time for three years, and we bring our Australian Shepherd with us every time. We’ve done over 40 sits, several repeats, and we don’t get rejected as many times as you’d think due to bringing our dog. Colorado, New Mexico and California owners seem most open to this vs. Florida, for example. In our profile we highlight why an owner WOULD want to have another dog in the house (e.g., he protects smaller dogs and the property, he’s a good companion and playmate, especially for energetic dogs who need more than a couple walks per day, they’re thinking about getting another dog). The three of us drive everywhere in our Toyota Camry. We’re planning on flying to Mexico some time this winter, and that’ll be the first time flying our dog (in a crate in cargo). We’re also looking at taking the Queen Mary II from NYC to England next summer since they have kennels aboard (and who doesn’t want to experience that trip at least once?!?). Most things are possible if you’re flexible, patient, resourceful and creative.

2 Likes

I’d love to do so. When i suggested that topic, i was afraid to sound weird. I’m pleased not to be alone to want to come with my pet, very pleased you manage, that owners accepted.
I’m not sûre your dog will like to fly cargo. My dog, 40years ago was left on the tarmac. And hated to be put in a box. It’s noizy in the plane and i’m sûre animals feel anguish.,.

1 Like