Do you prefer sits in the country, in town?

If you have a car (the owners’ one or yours) do you prefer to be isolated, alone, or in a village/ town ? Do you check the situation on the map ? Is it an important criteria ?

1 Like
  1. It’s all about the pets.

2. I don’t fancy cats in apartments

Other than that, the world is my lobster!

2 Likes

I would be anxious in a flat too if i had to look after cats, afraid they go out if they are not allowed to. You can forget windows, because you’re used to let your own cats out when you have a garden…

1 Like

Our ideal sit would be in a village or small town within walking distance of shops. Everything walkable.

5 Likes

I prefer to be in the countryside in the summer and in a city in the winter. :smile:

3 Likes

I love to be in the countryside, where I can go on long walks with dogs. I would certainly sit for cats too, but happen to have found families with dogs on the dates/places I have been. Perhaps it is because I live in a big city and enjoy getting away, although if I found a sit in a city I wanted to visit, that would be great. Sometimes the city sits in places like London are just impossible to get due to overwhelming numbers of applications. All my sits so far have been 10/10!!!

2 Likes

I prefer sits in the city. We’ve done some rural sits and as much as I loved the pets I became bored and restless. I’ve often seen sits that look so appealing but now I know that I need to be in a city or I won’t enjoy it.

1 Like

We prefer small villages, preferably walking distance to shop, pub, and/or restaurant even though we almost always have a rental car. We really enjoy walking in the countryside, particularly if we are sitting dogs. And yes, we always check things out on the map and google street view.

We generally avoid cities but wouldn’t discount it entirely if it was a location we’d never visited before and we were interested in spending some time there.

1 Like

We’d consider both, but in general we prefer countryside or a small village for easy access to walks. We often look at the location of a sit on maps and streetview before deciding to apply, so it’s great when an owners listing or sitter feedback help narrow down the area!

1 Like

How can you use street view when the owner has not given his adress ?

You only know it once you’re selected, so does that mean you decline after you have been chosen ? Which reasons do you give to decline ? You don’t like the area ? You’re afraid if it seems more remote than you thought ?

@Provence I really like maps, so I’ frequently look at the general area of the sit on a map before applying. If the sit is in a small village named in the listing I might also use street view to take a “virtual walk” around the village - again, before applying.

Obviously if the listing doesn’t give many clues to the general area, and it is on a large town or city, there is little point using street view. However I have seen one sit advertised where the HO names the road they are located on. Their listing doesn’t show the outside of the house, but If I was going to apply I’d probably have a look at the road on street view.

I’ve never declined a sit after being selected.

3 Likes

Hi @Debbie I have a dear friend who is mad about maps too … just one observation if you or any member sees a listing with an owner’s specific location, name or any other identifying information please inform Membership Services or send a direct message to the forum team, as we will remove from the listing.

Thank you Debbie, happy mapping

1 Like

When owners say they bought an old house, resored it and run now a gite, when THS gives the first names of owners, sometimes it’s quite easy to find the gite owner in that locality. With that first name… and looking on white pages…

1 Like

It depends on the location and pets. Typically I prefer the countryside with access to nice views and walks - and a lovely country pub close by doesn’t hurt :slight_smile:

That said, there are so many fabulous cities I haven’t been to yet so I definitely don’t discount city sits. My travel bucket list is long and my mind is wide open!

2 Likes

Most of the time, the home owner is willing to share where they live before we get the sit. Not that it’s a requirement of course. Also, plenty of times, because we usually choose homes in small villages etc, it’s relatively easy to find a house on google maps if you have a photo of the outside of the house and/or yard.

That being said, I would never decline a sit after we had been chosen, and we have also accepted sits whenI had a fairly good idea of the house location but didn’t know the exact address. In this case, we’ve been able to rely on the information from the posting and the interview.

However, we have declined sits during the interview process if we’ve found out they are too remote, and have always told the home owners the reason.

3 Likes