Guests at Sits?

But three people are allowed to bounce on the beds?

1 Like

In our case, with a younger sitter on her own in our remote house, I actually asked her if she wanted a friend to come stay for company for a while, she gladly accepted the offer.

Edited to remove link …

3 Likes

In my past life I took a course regarding leases, which the instructor advised are essentially a document addressing everything that has gone wrong in the past.

The dancing on the kitchen island and coffee tables sounds like that might be the case! Mind you, unless they had really nice high ceilings, the dancers on the kitchen island must have been short!!! :rofl:

Our second sit was to visit our daughter. The HO graciously said she, and her friend who was coming to town, could stay. (Just our daughter stayed.) I almost always ask about guests in the interview–whether I intend to have one or not, just so we’re on the same page. Some HOs are fine with it, others are not. We totally respect that choice. I do think it’s misleading when a HO advertises a large house with a lot of bedrooms if they don’t intend those bedrooms to be available. Many will say they have x number of bedrooms but only one available to sitters–and I appreciate that clarity. We recently arranged a sit to visit friends in an area and asked if they could come to lunch, which was agreed. Then my inlaws asked to stay with us after we started the sit, which I thought would be fine. (It was a 5 bd, 4 ba house). The HO originally said yes, but then said they felt put on the spot. I felt terrible they felt that way and apologized and put our folks up in a hotel. It reminded us of the importance of communication and the importance of clarifying things up front. In the end, we gave and received 5 stars because it was a wonderful sit and we left the place much cleaner than when we arrived, which we always try to do.

5 Likes

We do not allow guests without prior consent/permission.

If someone is looking to have a partner stay or something of that nature, preference is that we can see evidence of that person reflected in their profile and/or willingness for them to provide more details and meet them ahead of time. We would also want their contact information/details.

From a safety, security, and liability perspective, we want to know who all is in our home and are also particular about who interacts with our dog.

3 Likes

I guess for us it’s in the wording, Trusted House Sitters, I assume they are trustworthy and so we assume their friends or family are as well. Personally I always say that we are happy if they want to have a friend or family to stay. Why wouldn’t we be, they are generally responsible adults living responsible lives and willing to stay at our house looking after our animals. I know we are also offering accommodation but the peace of mind knowing that our pets are cared for in their own home outweighs this and anything we can do to make their stay as enjoyable as possible is worth it. Mia case e sua casa!

8 Likes

What a disrespectful statement.
It’s not just about money in life, it’s about values and memories.

I think piet was probably referring to why someone would steal silver plate. It does seem strange. I didn’t read it as them referring to why someone would be upset their silver plate had been stolen.

7 Likes

Yes, it would be weird to be in a home and steal their cutlery.

So we are half a year later now, and I wonder if @doddy335a 's forks and some of the other eleven items might have appeared again.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s Verbo even in a big house. Petparents are expecting a single person or two people if that’s what they agreed to. I don’t think sitters should ever think it’s fine to have guests coming in for lunch or staying over without checking in with the homeowners no matter how big the place is. And regarding overnight guests and asking after the sit has started, I can easily see why a homeowner would feel pressured and uncomfortable.

I’ve stayed at sits where there were several bedrooms for the kids. The kid’s bedrooms were clean and open so the pets could hang out there, but I don’t know whether or not the owners changed the linens or whether the kids agreed that someone else could sleep in their bed. Some cats are door darters and a careless guest leaving who doesn’t know the drill could let the cat out leading to tragedy. If someone who is not invited gets bitten by the dog, is the homeowner responsible? What if someone falls down the stairs? If a HO okays a guest, they are basically saying: I trust you to watch this person and to share the warnings and advisories I’ve given to you. You will still be responsible if your guest messes up.

Guests are ALWAYS at the discretion of the homeowner and that includes the right to say nope. This isn’t just courtesy. It’s liability too.

4 Likes

I totally agree…“if that’s what they agreed to.” That’s why I bring it up in the interview to be clear how the HO feels. Some are okay with guests, some are not, and I totally respect that and would never break that trust. Ours was an unusual circumstance that my in-laws were in the same town for one night after the sit started, and we thought we had rapport enough to ask if they were welcome. As soon as I sensed we over-stepped our bounds, I apologized and arranged for a hotel. I still don’t see the harm in asking–communication with HOs is key. I’m glad they communicated their discomfort, and a lesson was learned.

I’m grateful to those HOs who trust us enough to allow guests, though I understand and totally respect if that’s a no-go for them. I would never abuse that privilege by bringing anyone other than a close friend or relative, and I would limit the stay. We have all five star reviews because we put the pets’ needs first, we always leave the home exceptionally clean, and we work hard to communicate and understand the HO’s needs.

1 Like