3 Likes

Shag Point-halfway beteween Oamaru & Dunedin

Mount Misery…

2 Likes

I’ve been there!!

2 Likes

Shag point’s cool :+1:

2 Likes

My list is getting longer and longer. We are heading to Newfoundland this summer and Hubby has found a town called Dildo! Of course we have to visit……

1 Like

There is a Piddle Brook in Worcestershire (UK) and a village called Wyre Piddle. There is also a Brewery that produces a range of Ales called Piddle in the … Their Christmas Ale is Piddle in the Snow.

2 Likes

This place in Perthshire, Scotland - and its US twin!

3 Likes

There is also a nice looking last minute sit in a village called Melbury Bubb, Dorset, UK. Sadly our school holidays don’t match theirs!

I used to live in S. Yorks near Penistone which my bro in law insisted on pronouncing as Penis-town🙈

1 Like

I just drove two hours to a repeat house sit. I left my home in Niagara Falls, Canada, passed through Scotland :smirk: (population maybe less than 1,000) and arrived in Norwich - population 11,000 in Canada, but 376,000 in England.

When I first did this sit, when people asked where I was going I pronounced it as it would be in England, with a silent ‘w’. I was laughed at by some. When I arrived last year, I asked some locals how they pronounced the name, only to hear a variety of versions from the local people themselves. Confusing. :roll_eyes:

There are so many British place names in Canada. This weekend is also a bank holiday - Victoria Day - named in honour of Queen Victoria. Many people call it the 2-4 weekend as it’s set as close to May 24 as possible. Coincidentally, beer is most commonly sold in cases of 24 bottles or cans, also called a 2-4. It’s usually also a busy selling weekend for 2-4s this weekend, as it’s our unofficial start of summer. :beers:

4 Likes

A friend has 2 brothers who live in small villages of the same name.
Ones in new zealand the other the UK.

2 Likes

@Gina I met a lady when I was on a Mexican house sit who lived in San Francisco, California in the summer and San Francisco, Mexico (commonly known as San Pancho) in the winter. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Speaking of coincidences, I have the same house number as my sister and we live in different states.

1 Like

I decided to resurrect this topic as I just looked up the correct pronunciation of Frome, the town in Somerset.

Here are some more UK places that are not pronounced the way you might think:

How to pronounce the place names in the top 10

1. Frome - “Froom”
  2. Ballachulish - “Ball - a - hoolish”
  3. Godmanchester - ‘Gumster’
  4. Omagh - “Oh-ma”
  5. Woolfardisworthy - “Woolzery”
  6. Beaulieu - “Bew-lee”
  7. Bicester - “Bister”
  8. Ynysybwl - “An-is-abull”
  9. Rampisham - “Ran-som”
  10. Quernmore - “Kwor-mer”
3 Likes

Our first ever sit was in Towcester ( pronounced ‘Toaster’ ).

4 Likes

@mars we have actually visited Godmanchester as friends used to live there and we stayed overnight with them. However I have only just learnt from your post how to pronounce it!

@Debbie @mars I’ve visited “Gumster” many times, no wonder I was never understood when asking for directions, yes I still do it the old fashioned way :rofl: bit like Leominster … Lemster

@Angela_L Now Leominster I do know how to pronounce!
It’s no wonder people get confused though!

We were once in Amsterdam and had arranged to meet friends at a club called ‘Fuxx’ - We had already asked more than a handful of people for directions before it was explained to us that the correct pronunciation of the club was ‘Fuse’!!

Have a little fun with unique and amusing place names around the world! Here are some:

1. Dull, Scotland: Despite its name, Dull is a charming village in Scotland. In fact, in 2012, Dull formed a “sister community” partnership with Boring, a town in Oregon, USA, creating the “Dull and Boring” partnership.
  2. Satan’s Kingdom, United States: Located in Vermont, USA, Satan’s Kingdom is known for its scenic beauty, including the West River and surrounding hills. Don’t worry, it’s not as devilish as the name suggests!
  3. Batman, Turkey: Yes, there is a Batman city in Turkey! Although it may conjure images of the superhero, the name derives from the nearby Batman River.
  4. Norway: Nestled in the picturesque landscape of Nord-Trøndelag in Norway, Is a small village with a name that often prompts laughter Tourists often flock to norway railway station to capture a memorable photo.
  5. Wales: This village in Wales is famous for having one of the longest place names in the world. Locals often refer to it as “Llanfairpwll” for short. The name translates to “St Mary’s Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel near a Rapid Whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the Red Cave.”
  6. Intercourse, United States: Located in Pennsylvania, USA, Intercourse is a small town known for its Amish community and traditional way of life. The town’s name, however, has nothing to do with its meaning in modern slang.
  7. Humpty Doo, Australia: Situated in the Northern Territory of Australia, Humpty Doo is a rural area with a delightfully whimsical name. It’s a popular spot for fishing and exploring Kakadu National Park.
  8. Middelfart, Denmark: Middelfart is a town in Denmark that often elicits chuckles due to its name. It is located on Funen Island and offers picturesque views of the Little Belt Strait.

These places often have historical, linguistic, or cultural significance. Their amusing nature adds uniqueness and light-heartedness to geography. Exploring these places can be a fun way to discover interesting destinations while appreciating our planet’s diversity and humor.

2 Likes