Have you ever faced weird demands from the owner(s)?

i just read on another forum (housesitters and digital nomads) that some owners asked pictures everyday of their vegetables (in order to check they had been watered) and to count fish in the fish tank …
What other demands did you face. Could you cope with or not ?

4 Likes

Once the pet owner left us three bottles of wine to try. It was very difficult but we managed…hic.

Elsie

22 Likes

The HO for whom I’m on a sit atm insisted I ’ …use the Aga daahhhling’. OMG: what a lightbulb experience: I WANT an Aga!

4 Likes

We love using Agas too… have you tried frying eggs yet? Some owners have the waxy sheets you put on the hob plate, you just break the eggs, close the lid and within a couple of minutes you have perfect eggs with no flipping required!

4 Likes

Wow. I had an aga a very long time. She was called Angus and we all loved her. Great things but treat her nicely when they are mistreated they can be very mean.
Elsie

3 Likes

love that reply! big smiles here ! :joy:

1 Like

LOVE, love, love an Aga … not just to cook on great for drying laundry also I’m one of the coldest mortal on the planet, nothing better than a permanently warm kitchen … when I suggested getting one the other person in the conversation replied, “They are only an expensive storage heater” I must add that person is NOT a cook :wink:

1 Like

We have an Aga at home. When we moved in , we thought “well, that will have to go” Within a week we were hooked.
We are delighted that so many HOs have an Aga

3 Likes

The sit I am on right now, the HO have a lawn mower which replaces a ‘ride on’ mower. It’s a small, box - shaped auto-mower which is programmed to activate at certain times and simply glides along the lawn, almost noiselessly. It even has headlights! But the HO can operate it from his phone and apparently can see it on his phone!

Lawnmowers …

@LTD you have just reminded me a 6 week summer sit in the UK, the lawn mower was the most environmentally friendly and economical to run, push power but the blades were blunt and everything was rusted “It’s so easy to use and works well” well it worked better after some “oil based engineering” although I never was able to get it sharpened, fortunately there wasn’t an acre of lawn, although after each mowing it felt like it.

(picture is not the actual piece of machinery:))

2 Likes

My own doggy, Brecon, in the background, keeping a respectful distance. It even has lights, and wifi! !

2 Likes

Oh wow @LTD … Talk about Then and Now … although mine was idiot proof :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

@LTD a few weeks ago we were out for a walk along the River Avon in Worcestershire. There were 2 houses with enormous gardens sloping down to the river and each had 2 of these automatic mowers. We watched fascinated for some time, as did some walkers coming in the opposite direction. We were especially interested to see what wold happen when they got close to the river. There must have been some sort of boundary programmed as they turned when they reached a certain point.

4 Likes

That’s my kind of sit :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I base my sits in the winter on homes that have Agas - I look for them in the photos or the written info! - LOL

4 Likes

I’ve just done the same, I’ve just grabbed a July sit in a country house with an Aga. I’m a convert!

1 Like

Oviously members prefer to remember Agas in kitchens than weird demands (which was my question…)

I must be stupid but I was totally unable to cope with Agas the owners were so very proud of !
Much too complicate to me and kitchens much too hot in summer !!

1 Like

What is an AGA?

2 Likes

An Aga is a piece of kitchen/household magic @huttpl … well some of us think so anyway.

It is the perfect range to cook on (once you get used to it) it’s the warm heart of the kitchen, cats and dogs LOVE them, laundry dries in a heartbeat.

On the down side, they are an expensive purchase and costly to run … but once you’ve had one, you’ll rarely divorce yourself from their overall charm.

cookers_explained_3
cookers_explained_1

2 Likes

Thank you! Learn something every day!

3 Likes