Hello from Mallorca. I may need some help?

Hello fellow fluff-lovers! My name is Rosa, I am 42 and I live in Mallorca, Spain. I just wanted to say hi and express how lucky I feel to be part of this community where I can combine my love for animals with my love for travelling.

I joined the website in October and I have already secured 4 sits in London but, to be honest, I applied to at least 40… I wonder if you could help me by telling me which things you find annoying and what things you welcome in an introductory message that lead you to want an interview with a potential sitter?

I usually tell the pet parents that I have four cats that I spoil and cuddle all and more. That I have always had dogs and volunteer with an animal rescue in Mallorca. I also mention that I have a job at the university in Mallorca and sometimes attach links to my work profile and facebook.
I am not sure if my pictures are off-putting, maybe I am too impersonal, maybe I sound too eager? Hope you can let me know so that I can improve my communication skills with English speakers :wink:

Thank you and nice to meet you all!

You can embed your sitter profile in your forum profile, so people can make suggestions.

As regards your application message - there are various threads on this. Here is one: What do Owners want to know in Sitter applications? - #4 by gchampagne

1 Like

Hi @Rosa. Love Mallorca particularly Palma and Port D’Andraxt.
I think what you are describing is normal for relatively new sitters. I joined in mid May and it took me 23 applications to get my first sit. I’ve done 6 sits so far this year (2 more to come before the year end). I like everyone who still get declined but I feel the more positive feedback I get the more chances I have with any application. Good luck.

2 Likes

Thank you! The thread you suggested was very helpful

1 Like

@Rosa
4 London sits within your first 2 months - I think you are doing something right! Once you get a few reviews, I expect you will be even more successful.
One thing that I’ve done that some HOs seem to like is create a google photo album with pictures of the critters I’ve sat (depending on the size of the dog or cat, some are selfies with me in them too).
Take care.
tom

5 Likes

Four out of forty sounds great to me. I still think I’m only getting about 5% of the sits that I apply.

2 Likes

Thank you! I will create a google photo album too, I think it is a great idea :wink:

Thanks so much! Yes, I feel more positive now that I’ve spoken to all of you. I know it is nothing personal when pet parents do not choose you, but it hurts a little when they do it without sending a message, I guess you get used to it!

1 Like

Hi @Rosa something with your profile link isn’t working, as it takes me to my own profile - so it must be a general link, and not yours specifically. I just wanted to say, we are seasoned sitters currently on our 30th sit (not all through this platform), but we still get many, many rejections. Don’t feel bad. There can only be 1 sitter for every listed sit.

1 Like

Hi @botvot thank you for flagging and @Rosa your link is now fixed … The problem happens when profile link is uploaded in “preview” mode.

1 Like

I like your profile, Rosa!
You may wish to update your “Why I Want to Housesit” section. 1. It seems to refer to this past summer. 2. It starts with b/c you love to travel but are on a limited budget, which sounds to some HOs that your primary motivation is to save money.
You mention being vegan (and your potential fellow sitters being vegan) a few times. I think it’s fine to mention that, but you may want to add “but I/we are fine being in homes where the hosts are not.” IF that is the case.

Thanks, Katie, you are completely right, I should change some things and I should add that I have no issues at all with non-vegan households.

1 Like