Hello from the Isle of Wight U.K

@Verityandjulian we don’t have any pets either, hence why we received so many applications for our sit. Enjoy all your trip planning & research.

2 Likes

Hi, Verena. Yes, welcome! Your area looks lovely and is actually on my list of places to visit in the future. Since you are now keen to travel maybe at some point we can “swap”. I did that a few years ago with a couple from Brighton and had a wonderful experience. I live in Ventura, CA, USA, a Southern California coastal town with this little girl.

7 Likes

Hello Crookie. I too no longer have pets for the very first time.in my life and am looking forward to a few years of house and pet sitting. I currently live in Adelaide and care for the pets of several people in my home, for free, as a favour. This helps me as well as i really miss the company of animals.
I will be following your adventures with great interest. I and my partner still have a year or so of working until we can take off. I wish you fabulous times ahead.
Deborah

3 Likes

Love Pip’s picture, he looks like the dog we Housesat in France this past March/April.
Welcome to a whole new world of adventures. We live in Canada and are off to Housesit in Scotland in December. I love that we can travel again.
Please feel free to reach out if you have some questions or to just connect.
We haven’t been to the Isle of Wight yet☺️

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

Thank you for such a warm welcome. All your support and advice is tremendously helpful and appreciated.

Thank you, Verena :blush::+1:t2:

5 Likes

Yay :grinning: we are now set up for 5 sits, wonderful places to explore but most importantly some sweet pets to care for. Cannot wait for Wednesday when we head out but have sooo much to do in the meantime :rofl:
Who know where the next sit may come from - it’s all part of the puzzle
Hope you’re enjoying each day
We’re taking our #rustylimbs to Spain :es: in 4 days!!

3 Likes

Where in Spain are you going? We are in Jávea

1 Like

Costa Blanca for our first EU sit @Debandbee - near Murcia so just south of you I think. We have 6 nights in Barcelona (plus Montserrat) - then do a loop around and back into Murcia from Albacete. Have 18 days with two adorable doggies that we can get out and about with! Heaven
Let us know how you’re going please :pray:

2 Likes

Welcome Verena ~ I had a moment where I thought,

“Pip looks a lot like a fox!”
Ha ha.

Glad to find you here.

I was just looking at a place to buy on Isle of Wight, just for my researching finding an affordable home. Can you share anything about Shanklin? Is that a nice place to live? The South-facing cottage and garden looked very nice to me!

I am new here on TH, as well, seeking my new home in Scotland, and visiting ancestral homelands in England, Wales, Ireland and Cornwall by housesitting along our way, my Assistance Dog and I.

Enjoy this adventure, and know there is a ton of support on this TH Forum, if ever you have a question or a conundrum!,

Claire + Lady Tarkina Snowfire,
from Taos, NM, and
Maui, Hawaii,
soon-to-be from Scotland, forever.

3 Likes

Hi Claire,
Thank you for you nice note.
Would you be seeking a holiday home or 2nd home on the island? Or a permanent home? I ask because then the location for a holiday home, I would agree with you and say Shanklin, as it has train connections and more regular buses for the ferry to the mainland. (Great for visitors to the island)
However, if you are looking for more permanent accommodation, I would then suggest Niton, Brighstone, Freshwater, Yarmouth, etc… an area known as “west Wight” and is more rural and quiet. Buses are not so frequent and there is no train. Peruse on a map and ask as many questions as you like.
Added to this there are many small villages tucked away, and all can be astonishingly beautiful.
I live in Totland, near the sea, and the Needles. We benefit from lovely sunsets and an evening sun.
Shanklin does have a good selection of shops, plus lots of walking areas, and a lovely sandy beach. Shanklin Chine is beautiful and unexpected and still retains its Victorian charm.
Thank you for your suggestion for offers of advice, I will certainly ask when I’m daunted :blush::+1:t2:
Best wishes, Verena

3 Likes

Barcelona is awesome. Make sure you do the cable car and also I recommend that you book La Sagrada Familia in advance or you may not get tickets on the day.

2 Likes

@Verityandjulian as @Debandbee mentions, you must visit La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, this is a photo I took inside on our last visit. The colours with the light shining through are simply spectacular! …. and definitely book in advance! :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Omg! That is stunning, we did miss our last time due to works in progress but will try for this visit! Thank you for sharing :es:

2 Likes

@Verityandjulian You are very welcome :slightly_smiling_face: … it is truly breathtaking, especially on a sunny day at midday you will get the full effect of the sunlight pouring through the stained glass windows on the southern side.

2 Likes

It is so nice to hear from Local wisdom, thank you, Verena ~
I am just exploring all options now, and seeking a sense of a potential home that is beautiful, steeped in Nature and affordable, in a most miraculous sort of way. I live by Magic, and like learning about all areas. My friend lives on Isle of Wight, so I look forward to visiting all the areas you mention. Maybe even have a Meet UP!.
Thanks, and Welcome again!,
Claire + Tarkina.

3 Likes

The Light is Divine!

2 Likes

@anon84784007 It really is! … to stand there and behold this beauty is magical :sparkles:

1 Like