Help Us Know Your Preferred On Sit Amenities

That’s how ours works as well, but here nobody would use it for heating, because the central heating is much cheaper.
We only use it for cooling on very hot days.

1 Like

My preferred amenity.
Happy Caturday

10 Likes

These are amenities for the sitter, as we usually stay for longer in a country so the following are important. We are currently finishing up in the UK after being here 3 1/2 months and 5 sits.

A working kitchen with good selection of utensils and pans. After several sits where the knives were unusable or non-existent, we know bring our own French folding knives.
Washer and seperate tumble dryer, both functioning.
Closet space with hangers
Drawer space.
Shower
The home doesn’t have to be spacious, but it should not be cluttered. We look closely at the pictures provided, as everyones idea of cluttered may be different.
WIFI
Storage for our suitcases, we travel with a regular carry-on size case and a small carry-on case, each, as we are usually flying. Constantly walking around them in the bedroom is a pain.

Care of pets:
Pets should be toilet trained, if prone to accidents, this needs to be addressed in the ad, not when the sitter arrives.
Any special needs of pets should be put in ad.

1 Like

As a 4-year member and a nomad, who uses the site regularly, being “comfortable” is the main quality. For me that means a certain level of cleanliness. There were few sits where I spent hours cleaning before I felt comfortable, sometimes never could get it clean enough and couldn’t wait to leave. (There were properties so clean that I was afraid I didn’t clean up well enough.) So having sufficient cleaning products.

Another main factor for me is the location - how peaceful or walkable it is and how convenient it is to get around without a car. I am an avid walker and lift much more than what my size indicates so usually this is not an issue. But there were a couple of instances where it is almost impossible to get to the sit without a car. Some owners do include use of bike or car.

Other amenities I’d prefer but not a deal killer would be a space where I can stand up and work from laptop. My back and bottom hurts if I sit too long so I look to see if there’s a way to prop a makeshift stand up workspace. And of course a good enough WiFi, as well as sufficient temperature control to keep warm and cool enough.

In light of recent discussions, I’d like TH to require owners to disclose any security cameras/devices inside and out.

2 Likes

Amenities should include anything similar to a hotel listing, such as hair dryer, coffee maker etc. and would be great if the listing could cover those basics. Basically, you are setting up your home to receive a guest, so anything you would typically find in a hotel or air bnb should be included. Of course, pools and hot tubs are an extra bonus, but then as sitters we need to be informed in the listing if we will be expected to maintain them in the owner’s absence. Many of us who do this full time and long term do our own cooking, so a run down of appliances would be really helpful. But most of all, I would just request that the homeowners take the time to complete a thorough and detailed welcome guide, especially paying attention to their pets’ care, feeding schedules and any medical needs, if there are any. I’m noticing not all homeowners put the time into writing detailed notes, if any at all, and it really is the most important thing at the end of the day.

2 Likes

Fast wifi.
Space to unpack clothes (amazingly this is not a given).
Washer/dryer if staying a week or longer.
Car included if in country.
Fireplace in winter.
Outdoor area in Summer.

Hi @savoryandrose welcome back, it’s been a while we hope you have been keeping well.

We like to know Wi-Fi speed, cell service availability, off street parking, garage space for our bicycles and bed size.

Love to be near hiking and biking and how long we can leave pets for said hikes.

Comfy couch to snuggle with pets is also super important but we can usually see that from photos.

2 Likes

As I will be traveling O/S - and not generally have a car, I’d like more clarity on “Sitter needs car” . Can you get to the property and just need a car to get around? What public transport to the location options might be? Is a car needs because people in the area don’t walk. I think when people select that option - more questions should prompt some details.

I’d also love if this could be added as a Filter option - I haven’t seen it but would be great to have it

2 Likes

Here in Australia we have what we call Reverse Cycle air conditions - cooling and heating, and I definitely use both but agree other heating options are cheaper!

Thanks for this opportunity Arjuna. For me its pretty simple. I love flats as they are secure, I dont need much space. Wifi is great but I do not work from home so again basic is fine. I think honesty from the home owner is what I am really after. ie will your cat insist on sleeping in the bed? Will they try and escape every time I open the door? I mostly apply for London house sits. I know London very well so do not need any info from owner.

Thanks Angela, lots of wonderful travels through THS! Happy New Year!

Bathtub and good Wifi. A checklist like Airbnb amenities would make life easy for the homeowners.

1 Like

Hi @zoemac Happy New Year and welcome back … hope you have been keeping well , we’ve missed you!

Any presence of surveillance cameras, or not, should be declared in the listing. Shouldn’t be something the sitter has to ask about in the live online interview. It’s awkward.

8 Likes

I may just be too new to pet sitting to have much insight, other than what’s already been stated above. We are a ‘less is more’ kinda couple, and have pretty simple day-to-day needs. During a short sit, I believe we could make do with just about any situation that we found ourselves in, however, a longer sit may require more necessities. While the creature (pun intended) comforts of home are nice, when we travel, we have found it’s good to be flexible in our wants and needs. Thanks for everyone’s input…definitely helpful for us newbies!

4 Likes

I feel the same way. I like the new and I don’t want to have the comforts of the familiar. I enjoy discovery and fun surprises, especially my own improvisations and adaptation skills.

3 Likes

Bicycles if no car available as we travel in Europe by train. If necessary we rent bicycles instead of rental cars.

1 Like

Good idea. As long as it’s not Scotland, too many hills to bike up for my liking. I’d rather walk.

#1 - whether the cat is indoor-only or not (This should be an essential piece of information in a cat-owner’s initial post.)
#2 - high-speed and reliable WiFi (Great if HOs could do a speed test and post the results in their post.)
Plus, it’s good if HOs specify things (besides details about the pets themselves) like:
local bus service availability, walking distance to shops, closest bus or train station (i.e., how to get there without a car, if it’s possible),
TV/streaming services/cable,
desk or table and comfortable (steno) chair for working,
kitchen appliances (blender?) and space in fridge, freezer and cupboards for sitter’s food,
washer, dryer or drying racks, air-conditioning and fans for hot weather, good heat source for cold weather,
non-feather duvet and fragrance-free sheets and pillow-cases,
confirmation that no one else will stay there or visit while the sitter is there (HO’s family members or friends),
etc.

2 Likes