HO changing dates prior to sit

We are pretty flexible and normally give a day either side of a sit to cover overlaps.
On this sit we’d already agreed to extend from 7 dsys to 10 as the HO had got their dates wrong but we agreed to this.
Now the HO has asked if we can change again. Its not a massive change, the sit starts 5 days later and finishes a day later.
As its in 2 weeks time ive pre booked the time i need off work which would be way to awkward to change.
This annoys me as ive booked time off unnecesarily and i now need to take an extra day to acccommodate this change.
The HO says they have booked these dates and there is no changes. We were never aware the original dates werent definate.
Has this happened tonither sitters?
I like the sit but really HO’s cant be expecting the sitters to be changing at such short notice or can they?

If you can find another sit that has better dates, I think you’d be well within your right to do so. Trouble is, it’s so very close, it might be a it tough to do. In the meantime, I’d probably give a heads up to THS staff so they can flag the HO and try to make sure it doesn’t happen again to someone else.

3 Likes

Once a short way into the sit one of the owners fell sick and had to return home, so they booked me into an airbnb nearby. I never saw them again but felt they’d done the only decent thing, as I had nowhere to go.

5 Likes

That is very unacceptable. I can understand 1-2 days of “wiggle room” on each side of a sit that is understood at the time of the video chat, but an adjustment of 5 days at the start and then 1 day at the back end with a short time to change your travel plans is absolutely ridiculous! To me, the homeowner should be “on the hook” for your lodging for those extra 5 nights, at the very least of this situation.

1 Like

Thankyou kelowngurl,
Yes i think weve decided not to do the sit as I think a change so near to the time isnt ideal, unlesd theyd been specific in the dates werent set. Plus im expected in work which has to ve priority!
Good idea to pass on to membership too.

2 Likes

Thatcwas nice Lauraa and I think a decent thing to do.
I think changes firnillness snd unfirseen is perfectly understandable.

I agree Pvgemini, its nearly a completley different week!
Sadley these dates would have worked much better if we’d known in the first place.

We have withdrawn from this sit, stating to HO that we cant rearrange our work schedules at such short notice.
Interestingly i remember they asked us to do the sit in December!!
We’d applied with different dates but they’d not responded so we withdrew the initial application.
Cant believe we’ve been good enough to kerp these dates open for so long for them to change at last minute. At the very keast they could have been transparent with us that theyre dates werent confirmed.
Yes im thinking i should report to membership, its not really fair for them to be messing other sitters about

1 Like

Definitely report them. You’ve been more patient and adaptable than I would have been, especially as you applied to them before with no response. Fortunately this situation is extremely rare, just a shame you’ve experienced it.

1 Like

Yep, I think if the new dates don’t work with you & the parameters you agreed to originally have changed, then you absolutely wouldn’t have to agree to the new dates.

1 Like

Thank you smiley and fluffball.
I must admit each sit weve completed we’ve not had a problem with any HO, infact its been a pleasure.
This last couple of weeks weve definately had issues with potential for upcoming sits. But i agree its definitely a minority. We just seem to gave had them all at once!
Think we should have noticed the red flags in this one earlier but put it down to a new member.
Anyway all has ended well, we have got what looks like a lovely sit within the dates and had a nice easy conversation with HO, just how it should be.
Also passed info on to member services as I doubt it would be only us they’d mess about. Really hope they follow it up though.

1 Like

That’s good news. It really shouldn’t be hard work. If HOs aren’t sure of their dates they shouldn’t be posting until they are

1 Like

Completley agree.

We arrived at a two month sit to find the owner has changed the end date and it is now ending a week earlier than the listing states. We only found this out when we arrived for handover and I checked the end date with them before they left. As it is for two months it is not too much of an issue but frustrating because they we turned down other sits during that week.

Sorry that happened @adamas. Fortunately, there are many sits available so you may find something great to fill in that week.

1 Like

Carpe diem! Look for something else. it’s not very cool but It very well may be a great thing as you might be ready for a new adventure by then. Roll with it :wink:

2 Likes

agreed, often these things work out for the best, it is just frustrating when owners forget to tell us these things !

1 Like

That is frustrating. You have my sympathies.

Do us a favor, and please make sure to include it in the review you leave. :pray:

I would find that frustrating as well.

One thing we’ve started doing, because we often book our sits months in advance, is to send a “touch base” message about 3-4 weeks ahead, where we briefly review our understanding of handover on both ends of the sit (dates/times/flight info etc) and any other specific and/or unusual decisions/requests that were made about that sit. We ask that the HO confirm, and to let us know ASAP if anything has changed.

We always do this in the THS inbox in order to have a written record of it, even if we’ve already exchanged email or WhatsApp info with the home owners.

2 Likes