Home owners returning in middle of a sit for few days

I once signed up for a 3 month sit and in the listing they mentioned they might come back 1-2 times during the sit to pick up supplies for their business. I was fine with it at the time. But when I arrived at the sit, pretty much nothing was as advertised. Rather than coming back a couple times in 3 months, their actual plan was to only be gone on the weekends and their preference was for me to find somewhere else to be during the week. “All our past sitters really enjoyed having the chance to explore the area”.

They had also turned their house into an Airbnb between when I accepted the sit and when it started and decided not to tell me because they didn’t want to worry me. They wanted to pay me $5/day to run their Airbnb. I felt pressured to do it the first weekend because they had a wedding booked in and had already made plans to be gone. It was a nightmare of dealing with needy people who were constantly barging into my room (no lock on the door), messing with the animals (their 20 year old cat was traumatized when they kicked him out of his bed so they could move the table he slept under), blowing fuses, breaking the gate, etc. The icing on the cake was when one guest decided to lock a padlock on a gate and take the key. That padlock effectively locked me into my room and I had to stand on a balcony and yell until the guy heard me and came to let me out.

I ended up leaving after a few days as the sit was so completely misrepresented. It turned into a whole thing and I had to get help from support to mediate it. Thankfully I had copies of all of our text conversations because it turned into a he/she said situation that could have really damaged my reputation if I couldn’t prove all the problems I’d encountered.

These days I’m more leery about mid-sit visits.

1 Like