Homeowners: Remove blank reviews due to canceled sits

Some of us have suggested that it would be helpful if sitters could opt in to allow other sitters to contact them by email. While this seems unlikely to ever happen, I had the good fortune to be able to connect with another sitter from THS. She is from my state and has left reviews on some of the same sits I have browsed. Recently she become a combined member and sent me an invitation to sit for her. Although I was unable to accept, we decided to stay in touch. As luck would have it, the chance arose. Because we had corresponded in the past, I was able to send her an email through THS with my phone number. She left a message on my voicemail the following day. I wanted to ask her about a sit she had done where she had left no review. I had considered applying for this sit but it appeared the homeowners had had six previous sits, but only three reviews. When I saw that she was one of the blank reviews, I called her to inquire about it. She told me she had gone to the home the week before the sit, it was lovely, as were the animals, but due to covid the sit canceled and the homeowners never removed her name and the blank review. If she had not told me this, I would have considered this a warning sign and avoided this home. In addition to hers, there was another blank review, which may have been blank for the same reason and a third blank review that was a second sit by a previous sitter. Someone should alert homeowners so they know that blank reviews can be a warning sign for future sitters. They are not helpful to the homeowner because they put off potential sitters. They should request that repeat sitters leave even an abbreviated review and remove any blank reviews that are there because the sit never happend. This is a valid reason to remove a review, but the onus falls on the homeowner to contact THS to have this blank review removed from their listing.

7 Likes

Thank you for this feedback @mars it’s extremely helpful and a very valid point our team are on the forum all of the time reviewing member’s posts and feedback and we follow this through also … THank you again.

2 Likes

I also have a few @Angela-CommunityManager
I left feedback regardless with commentary that sit cxld due to the great Paws…
But still have a few “completed sits” with no reviews.
Who (if possible) do I mssg to have corrected?

Hi @Amparo please forward info to Membership Services … support@trustedhousesitters.com

1 Like

@Angela-CommunityManager If you don’t mind, we’d like to add an additional thought. While blank reviews are indeed something we keep in mind when considering a house sit, so are multiple cancellations. Maybe rather than removing the blank review, it could indicate that a sit was cancelled. Airbnb does something similar and it’s helpful :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like that very much. Thanks.

@ScrewTheAverage , interesting idea. The sit I was referring to was canceled due to covid. The other blank sit occurred in January 2020, and covid wasn’t an issue yet at that time.
Perhaps, there could be a message with any blank review stating whether it was canceled by the homeowner or the sitter. It would also be nice if there was the option of stating the reason for cancelation too.

1 Like

we are in a similar situation. Our sit was cancelled due to covid but as we had met the owners we left feedback for them with that explanation. However they have not left a review for us as sitters which we feel might impact us with future HOs. We did ask them to leave us a review as the sit is still seen as completed but have heard nothing.

1 Like

@mars having read your initial post and replies, just to add this experience; I arrived for a sit at High Wycombe outside of London early on as a sitter where the HO met me at the station drove me to the house and when we got their told me they had to cancel the sit as the people they had planned to visit had fallen ill! They gave me dinner and said I could stay for the weekend! I was completely thrown by this bizarre way of dealing with a cancellation especially as it turned out they had known earlier in the day and could have saved me time and travel costs (which by the way they never offerd to cover) by just ringing my mobile to let me know not to travel to High Wycombe. I think some HO genuinely believe that sitters just live in a cupboard somewhere and do not have lives outside of the needs of themselves!

3 Likes

How inconsiderate!

1 Like

I don’t know what is meant by ‘blank reviews’. Can someone explain please?

If you look at a homeowner’s listing through the app, it will show reviews from all the sitters they’ve had. Sometimes you see a sitter’s name without an accompanying review. This is what I call a blank review. Prospective sitters often check the reviews left by previous sitters in choosing whether or not to apply for the sit. When there are sitter’s names without their reviews, this can be interpreted as a red flag because given the choice of leaving a truthful but negative review, or not leaving a review at all, many sitters will opt for not leaving a review. Because many sits canceled this past year, the cancellation taking place only between the HO and sitter, THS was not made aware that the sit never took place and the sitter’s name minus a review stays on the HO’s page.

I use the TH website on a computer, not a phone, and this feature is absent. Instead there is a series of reviews in chronological order, with no sign that any sitter didn’t leave a review. I wonder why this difference exists.

1 Like

@Lauraa yes same

@Lauraa and @carpediem We (and other sitters) have wondered the same and have asked on other threads. @Ben-Product (correct me if I misspeak :wink: ) has mentioned that differences between the mobile app and the desktop web interface is generally because of different development needs on the two platforms and testing features on the each one.

We miss the days where you could see ‘blank’ reviews on the desktop version and are :crossed_fingers: that this will come back soon so that we don’t have to check listings in both places to get the comprehensive picture.

2 Likes

That’s the way I understood the situation to be too. The only thing I would add to your ‘wish list’ is that there would be a fix for those blank reviews where sits didn’t happen because of the pandemic. Those blank reviews negatively affect homeowners, sitters, and all of us using this information to try to accurately assess a listing or sitter.

2 Likes