How do you feel about giving medication

I have a cat who now needs daily medication. She’s really good about taking it and makes it easy, often just eating it in a little wet food. I’m concerned if I will still be able to get sitters. How do the majority of sitters feel about giving medication.

4 Likes

You will have no problem getting sitters. There are many sitters who are comfortable giving medication and there are pets here with all kinds of medical issues. And if your cat takes her meds easily, you really have no cause for concern.

5 Likes

I agree with @mars, it will not be a problem finding sitters who are comfortable giving meds, especially in food!

Do make sure you explain the process you use, and the importance of the medication.
And do check with sitters ahead of time, to make sure they are comfortable with it.

But most sitters have at least some experience giving meds, if not a lot of experience.
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
So cool that your cats is good at taking her meds!

1 Like

You will have no problem finding sitters, especially as your cat is so good at taking her medication. On our Christmas sit starting on Friday, both the dog and cat have medication. Apparently the cat likes her tablet and takes it like a sweet, we just have to put it on the floor and she will eat it! The dog has his crushed and sprinkled in food. We’ve also hidden tablets inside sausages before now!

1 Like

No problem at all as long as the owner has left clear instructions :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi @Cawall welcome back to the forum, it’s been a while we hope you have been keeping well.

I see you have some great support and encouraging replies from members the only thing to add is include your kitty’s need in the listing that way sitters with the necessary experience will apply.

2 Likes

No problem at all, unless it’s a skittish or defensive animal.

I think it depends on where you live and what meds are needed.

If you are in a very popular location (NYC, London, etc), you should get enough applications that some will have experience medicating cats. If the cat is as easy to medicate as you say, that helps a lot.

I live in a less popular city, with a cat that needs one pill placed in her mouth daily, and sub-cutaneous fluids twice a week. It has been difficult for me to find a sitter with experience. I’ve had THS sitters who can do the pills, but I’ve paid a local sitter to come and do the sub-Q fluids while the THS sitters is here.

3 Likes

You bring up a good point Lassie. I was in CA but moved to Vancouver WA. That’s a new variable for me. CA was not an issue but I have no idea what the response will be here. I guess I’ll find out soon as I have 3 sits to post for the first half of the year.

1 Like