How do you feel when owners ask only a single?

I’m quite surprised when I see owners asking for a single sitter, if they hade in the past welcomed couples (what you may check reading their feed backs)
Do you try to come with your partner, asking the owner why (s)he changed his/her mind ? What had happened in previous sits ?
Don’t you ever give a damn ? And ignore totally these types of listings ?
Could it give you the opportunity to come alone ?
How your husband/wife/partner would react if you come alone (this is not a question for “all year long pet sitters” of course !!)
I’m rather curious.
Why ? Because I sit with my husband sometimes, and sometimes alone.

1 Like

I can’t imagine many possible scenarios for specifying a single sitter; the obvious being that the pet has fears about people in its home or there isn’t space for more than one person.
If there is a rescue dog fearful of men (it’s usually men but I accept the alternative possibility) then the owner could specify a female sitter but why just one?
I would discount the listing because we are a team, but there must be plenty of singles in the community that benefit from this specification.

2 Likes

We occasionally see listings like this and while we might be disappointed that we’re not eligible, we respect it and don’t apply. We’ve also seen many and even applied for sits that ask specifically for couples. We can venture guesses for both requests, however we respect whatever reasons the owner has for their requirement.

4 Likes

Sometimes an owner may request a couple. Annoying to the single sitters like me. If I don’t think I could handle the animals on my own I wouldn’t apply for the sit.

3 Likes

Yes, forgot to add that we wouldn’t apply, nor would we ask for their reasons!
(Doesn’t stop me wondering though :wink:)

3 Likes

I am also very curious about this and would love to hear from maybe some pet/home owners that specific single sitters when they themselves are a couple, or like you mentioned, have welcomed couples in the past. It makes me wonder if something happened? I’ve seen a few times house sits specific “no couples due to space in the apartment” - when it’s a couple already living there! I don’t really get it, but like others have mentioned, I respect people’s needs and desires and we just don’t apply to those kinds of sits. On the other hand, if it’s a single woman requesting a single woman, I totally understand and respect that. She wants to feel safe and secure in her own home.

2 Likes

I’ve never done it but I would be curious to check if when owners have asked singles only, they had selected a single sitter in the end. The only way to check would be they publish another ad a few time later. I’ve been so surprised to notice in feed backs, although they ask for a single, they had a majority of couples. The pets are the same…

When people ask for couples, it’because they own 2 heavy dogs or more than 2. I do understand it’s pretty hard to walk 5 or 6 dogs, even when you are 2…

1 Like

My husband and I did apply and get a couple of sits for single ladies where they requested a single female sitter but I guessed the reason being that they felt more comfortable with having a single lady come into their home. I have seen listings asking for a female sitter due to the pet being nervous around males - I wouldn’t apply on those sits.

2 Likes

When I see sits asking for single sitters I’m always suspicious especially if it’s a Male as I would not feel comfortable doing a sit on my own.
I understand that some people have small flats that only accommodate one person but I would never do a sit alone

2 Likes

I’m normally a single sitter and see sits for couples a lot. Sometimes it’s a bummer, but I guess people think that some think two people could better handle the work. I occasionally sit with a friend and I would feel awkward applying for those even with her because we’re not “a couple.” But yeah, I think ones asking for single sitters might have smaller space ? I have a tiny studio apartment and I definitely couldn’t have more than one person if I held housesits. Also some animals have a specific gender preference so maybe that’s partially it?

1 Like

As an owner and sitter I can only say respect the owner’s wishes and don’t push your luck. We have had many applicants ignoring our requests for no children for instance, Also one rude reply because we turned down an applicant because she had less reviews. Also one wanting to bringing along his own dog and failed to mention this until I did a bit of delving.
I have noted a few ‘single female sits only’ that we have had to disregard as sitters ourselves. I have no issue with my husband but maybe the pets or owners would?
TBH the dogs we have looked after have required two people on occasion

2 Likes

I think huge dogs may be a problem for a woman and understand the owners prefer a man holds his string or heavy pet.

I sit as a single sometimes but don’t apply then to sits with 2, if not 3, dogs.
Unless they can play in a private park or a huge garden owned by the HO who does not ask for exterior walks…

1 Like

As a single female sitter, I have many times been disappointed to see “COUPLE, couples only, couples preferred” included in a pet sit listing, especially when It’s something I’d really love to do and know I’d have no problem with. But one has to respect the wishes of pet owners, it’s their call after all – and there can be numerous reasons for preferring two sitters (number and nature of pets, or of duties involved, nature of neighborhood, isolation of property, potential problems if one sitter should fall ill, or injure themselves, etc. etc.). No point in complaining about it really. Similarly if pet owners specify a single person (which is most usually a space issue, though can also be a wish not to have more than one person staying in their house, or preference for a female) – again, it’s up to them.
On a personal note, I think my most memorable ever pet sits have mostly been in rather isolated places, sometimes with numerous different animals to care for, and I’ve been enormously grateful to the trusting and open-minded pet owners who’ve welcomed me – a quite old single woman – into their homes, and haven’t specified in advance the number of pet sitters they’re looking for.

1 Like

Hello and welcome @Phanty thank you so much for joining our community forum, for you great introduction and thoughtful reply.

Enjoy the conversations and connecting with members from around the world, and thank you once again for being part of our amazing community.

Angela & The Team

May i give you an advice? Insist upon your expérience and your lack of fear being solo in remote places.
I answered lately to an ad which did not precise “couples only”. The owner declined my offer explaining the house was isolated and they were frightened something could happen to me

I thank them to have let me know (i hate silence, no answer) although i did not fear to be alone.
They came back to me the following day, told me they changed their mind (i guess they went to read my blog or other owners comments) but unfortunately i could not answer them positively.
Something has changed on my side…

1 Like