How do you stay in touch on a house sit? What message system?

If you have to drive, you use paper map.?

1 Like

Messenger and WhatsApp for me.

1 Like

I set my destination and hit go from my starting point where I have WiFi. I take photos of the route as back up but as long as I don’t change the setting or divert the route stays live.
If anything goes amiss, I go where their is wifi and recalculate. Have never had any problems

2 Likes

Exactly how I do it :+1:t3:

3 Likes

I tried, when I get lost am here n the by dockside doesn’t help. At home I get offline that I can work on the road. I guess taking pictures a good idea.
Thanks

It takes a little foresight but it can be done. I didn’t learn these little tricks when I let go of my phone service. I learned this from the many years of driving cross country as a travel nurse here in the US. There were many times and places were there was no service, no reception so I learned that I had to make a map, mentally and eventually by doing screen captures of the routes.
I have so many stories to tell… Once I got lost in Death Valley, which is a huge desert. No reception and I was running out of fuel. A German tourist helped me find my way!
Another time, doing a sit in Edinburgh I had the pics and the spot was clearly indicated where the house should be and it was dark, I was exhausted dragging my case across the cobblestones back and forth. Finally I knocked on someone’s door and explained. They called the HO for me. Her home was in one of those alleyways that sloped down out of view where there were a cluster of homes!
I have learned to talk to strangers who turn out to be travel angels.

1 Like

Great stories. Where are you now?

Central Northern US, Minnesota on my 4th week of a 12 weeker with two delicious cats and miles and miles of trails. You?

In Florida. Flying to France next week in a Farm with all kind of animals and chickens. My favorite, best Fresh breakfast hopefully with French croissants :croissant:.

2 Likes

Do you download the area map to your device before you leave? I find I’m usually able to reroute etc as well so long as I have that section of googlemaps downloaded.

1 Like

Nice, my base is in Orlando. I love sits with chickens! Did one recently in Merritt Island.
I go to the Uk I’m April!
Have fun
Amparo the great grandmother!

Yes the whole route and trip. and I do screenshots of tickets, HO contact info, addy, phone etc.
I write separately about when I lost my phone!
:scream:
Talk about Ángels!

I will be in Orlando March 3. Let’s meet.

1 Like

Thanks, that would be lovely but I won’t be in back in Orlando till late February '23 and for less than a week!

I live in Canada and most people I know use WhatsApp. Most people I know also own iPhones and yet we rarely use FaceTime. I think WhatsApp is mostly used by those I know who have family or friends in other countries. I don’t use Facebook, so maybe that’s the difference too, based on your later comment. It’s certainly nice to have such variety, and usually at no cost too.

1 Like

WhatsApp usually if HO in another country; otherwise, SMS or email.

1 Like

So where is next base

From here I go to Virginia for a short sit then to long term repeat sit for friends in South Carolina. I will be there November to January.
Going to Colombia on personal holiday for a month, “home” for a week (maybe) then LONDON and beyond for who knows how long :slight_smile:
Life is wonderfully delicious.

1 Like

Wow set for a year. That is interesting.
Have fun.

1 Like

I have been full time since 2018 except for covid pause. I am usually booked 6 months to a year in advance. I have a few regular people.
I spent about 18 months in the UK and Europe.
It’s amazing and I am very very grateful to do what I do. The people, the pets, the places ignite my fire!
Thank you!
Happy to chat anytime