How do you stay in touch on a house sit? What message system?

Oh wow, really? I tried to get people to use WA when I got home from Europe and it just wouldn’t stick. I agree about FaceTime. Funny hey?

I do video chats almost solely on FB messenger and that’s how I “voice call” friends and family at home a lot as well, even though I have a proper phone.

1 Like

When I said download, I don’t mean a specific route, I meant that you can download a whole map of an area and have access to it whenever you’re not connected to wifi or data.

1 Like

@Kelownagurl We do in Canada as do most of our HOs. Even my son, who has discovered that WhatsApp does a much better job of compressing and sending pics and videos than do our built-in Android phones messaging apps. (We switch based on HO preference, but mostly WA with HOs since pics are involved.)

3 Likes

WhatsApp, sometimes Facebook or email!!

:ox: :water_buffalo: :ox: :water_buffalo:

:cow: :cow: :cow:

3 Likes

The other thing we like is that it’s easy to add both of us and all owners to a group (if there’s more than one), so everyone gets to see pix and comments and interact so everything is in one place. Also that it’s encrypted.

3 Likes

What message system do I use? Whichever the owner prefers and is the most reliable given connectivity. I have had occasions when I get WhatsApp messages from owners meant for other contacts, I also have owners who refuse to use WhatsApp because it’s owned by Facebook … the biggest advantage today is that with multiple options staying connected is easier than ever, although being on different time zones can create challenges at times.

The only times connecting on Skype hasn’t worked perfectly is when an owner insisted on chatting to her two dogs every other day … trying to get her two adored canines to take part in the conversation took every dog “whispering” skill I could muster, I’m still not sure she was convinced they were saying “Hi MOM” :dog2: :rofl:

4 Likes

Can someone who’s used an esim, and I know there are many, tell me if you can toggle between your physical sim & esim? I have a UK aim for keeping in touch with home but think I should get an esim for NZ & Oz. Thanks in advance

My communication preference is a group on WhatsApp. There’s no data roaming charge if you use WiFi and it’s super easy for sending photos and videos.

We sit as a couple, so having a group set up means that communication doesn’t fall to only one of us and it’s easier to reach each another in an emergency.

1 Like

I have done about 30 sits in UK and France since Dec 2021. Preferred platform is whatsapp for keeping in touch with the hosts. Easy to add pics and videos, as well as html links

2 Likes

We prefer Signal but we only have 1-2 people other than us using it! There’s no way around WhatsApp, unfortunately. Telegram is also relatively popular.

I pretty much only use WhatsApp, which has always kept me in instant touch. I always buy data wherever I am, so I am online even when I am not connected to wifi.
I am sure Signal and others are the same, but lately, what I have found, is that many pet parents/owners create a group with their partners, so everyone in the group gets the communication.

1 Like

I always prefer to use WhatsApp and have a mobile contract that covers me for 86 countries so that I can still be connected even when there is no WiFi. Hubby has a different service provider to me as well so that even when I have no signal hopefully he does.
Ultimately though it is down to whichever means of communication the homeowner/s prefer to use and we are happy to oblige.

2 Likes

Hi everyone. Several house sitters have really wanted us to sign up for WhatsApp. We don’t use our cell phones a lot, don’t have data on them. We are having a real problem getting it on our non Apple cell phone. Obviously we want our house sitters to stay in contact while we are away. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Mary Lynne

2 Likes

@MaryLynne
Like you, I don’t use my cell phone a lot. I use whatsapp mainly on my laptop using the wifi when I am at home.

Whatsapp is handy for video calls when applying for sits, and also very good for sending photos of the pets during a sit. Any communication via whatsapp can be done from home wifi rather than on the go using data on cell phone.

Tbh I find zoom a bit more cumbersome and fiddly than whatsapp or facetime for video calls. I guess that some people prefer to use zoom because that way they do not have to exchange phone numbers? It really does not worry me to share my mobile number with the host of a potential cat sit so I prefer whatsapp for video calls. No need for log in, passwords, meeting link etc!

4 Likes

I have an android phone and no problems getting or using WhatsApp on it. What problem are you having? I only use WhatsApp when I’m connected to wi-fi, otherwise I text. (This can mean delayed receipt of WhatsApp messages whilst Im not connected to wi-fi, but I’m ok with that.)

Text (SMS)?

1 Like

Thanks for your helpful advice!