How many animals are you able to look after?

It may be différent if you are a single, or 2? What type of animals you don’t feel to cope with ?
I precise on my profile walking 2dogs can be hard if i pet sit alone. I have à weak shoulder so holding 2 leads might be hard if my husband does not sit with me. We looked after 3dogs because they could stay free in a park, no need to walk them. But i will never apply if there are 4 dogs or more
And i would not dare to keep horses, afraid not to be able to notice something goes wrong. I know cats and dogs’diseases, not donkeys or alpagas’.
Do you apply even without any experience of such pets ?

1 Like

Good question @Provence (excuses pour l’erreur) I would never apply to care for any animal I wasn’t comfortable with, you also need detailed info from owners in order to make an informed decision in the first instance … before you commit.

I was living in Vancouver :canada: and did a lone sit on a small ranch in Washington State :us: looking after two horses - stabled (there’s a difference in work load compared with those living out) 4 GSP, 6 cats, 2 indoor, 4 barn, two goats and an assortment of chickens, ducks plus LOTS of watering of the garden … the dogs were highly trained and wonderful company, owners also had the husbandry and animal care down to a fine art, it was all incredibly easy to manage … weather was amazing too, it was summer. Biggest threat was the mosquitos :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@Saltrams ?

1 Like

A simple error, I think.

2 Likes

Thank you @Saltrams

1 Like

@Provence excuses pour l’erreur

1 Like

Our first and as yet only fulfilled sit was with 5 gorgeous young Salukis; I actually never gave it a second thought, believing myself capable of dealing with any number of dogs! Horses are the spawn of Satan (sorry @Angela - I have good reason for that), I’m out of practice with cats but taking steps to remedy that, chickens are easy-peasy and I would love to care for alpacas :heart_eyes:.

1 Like

For us it’s all about the environment with regards to how many pets we’ll look after. I’ve looked after 4 dogs on my own but the house was on a farm with acres of fields to walk them in and no need for leads. I wouldn’t make the same decision if it was 4 dogs in an urban environment and having to walk them on leads. We like the more rural properties and have looked after a whole range of animals, horses to alpacas to snakes! Some animals like horses can need more work but we love them (and I usually ride them) so we don’t mind. We want to enjoy the animals and also like exploring the local area so go for places where we think we can get the perfect combination of both.

1 Like

Waouh @PetSit, what did you do with snakes ?

1 Like

We are up for any sort of challenge, but we always make sure we let the homeowner know if we don’t have experience in the animals we are looking after. It’s Trusted Housesitters after all… it’s all about trust and honesty!

We did our first housesit looking after horses last year, although we didn’t have any experience looking after horses we were eager to learn. We visited the homeowner before the sit and she went through what we needed to do and also provided some self-made videos for us. It was great and we had no problems!

We’ve looked after the smallest of dogs and also some of the biggest (a great dane who thought she was a lapdog!). Feral cats, and cats that just want to sit on your lap. Even looked after farm animals such as chickens, pigs, cows, sheep and even donkeys and alpacas! You don’t necessarily need to know everything about each animal, but knowing the tell tale signs that an animal may be in distress is often enough to contact the homeowner to say something is up and they can advise from there.

Travelling as a couple, we often think we might have the edge on others as we can easily walk a few dogs each. I think the most dogs we’ve walked at once was five - but they were adorable sausage dogs!

3 Likes