I get declined after every video call - I am frustrated

Totally agree with you. I want to be given the courtesy and respect that we would give to the HO. Anything on that initial call that would suggest otherwise would be a massive no for us. We don’t need to do this to save money, we’re like you doing it because we love animals and the fun of the experience.

2 Likes

Eek! Just a bit harsh on you. I’m very much a believer though that if it’s meant to be it will happen and if not it won’t.

1 Like

You need to find your own way not to take it personally. I have been declined for many sitter jobs and have been invited to many as well…maybe you should just look at the fact that they wanted a video chat with you as a win, you got that far. Something they liked about you. I’ve had homeowners tell me they had 5 really good applicants and it was hard to choose after declining me and I’ve told them its great they got so many great applicants. Find a way to let it go and move on. Try to find the positive in it instead of personalizing it.

3 Likes

Don’t discount your surroundings when doing a video call. I always sit in a spot in my dining room that has good lighting and has a lovely photograph on the wall behind me. I notice those things about others so I’m sure others notice those things about me. There’s no harm in mentioning up front that among people you’re a bit introverted but are totally comfortable with pets.

I applied for a sit in San Miguel de Allende one time that sounded one way on paper, but the video call revealed an unkempt home with an emphasis on booze displayed and older dogs that had to negotiate tiled floors on 3 levels to get outside. It was a “no” for me.

2 Likes

But I don’t. I have never seen your pets. And I am not going to feign an interest in them in a video chat.

Maybe rephrase that as a genuine interest in the welfare of animals you are going to be responsible for. In this case, my animals. Not too much to ask surely?

We are discussing a case where a sitter is rejected after personal contact. My point was that the first contact - video call or something else - can be handled as “I’m doing you a huge favour, talk me into it” or as “Let me convince you that I’d be the best person to care for your pet”.

The second approach has worked for me.

Perhaps the answer is that homeowners should think of sitters as doing them a huge favour, and sitters should think of it as giving a service in return for accommodation.

Honestly @pietkuip, we love meeting pets on video chats, it’s the highlight of the call!

I’m afraid unless you own a Unicorn, as a sitter I’m not taking this approach……:joy:

But seriously neither option you suggest here is in fact the true case.
For a HO and a sitter who come to a video chat comfortable and confident in their own worth and value ie they have high self esteem, the discussion is mutually respectful and more of an exploration than an interview. Each party gently probes for evidence/signs of those things that matter to them, and each response is minutely observed by the other. If there are no jarring moments in the interaction then a warmth develops and this leads to a mutual understanding of trust.

1 Like

Wow! If only … I’m envious of your experience. I have discovered that people have a similar attitude to pet care, and a mutual understanding of what is involved, but no warm glows and comfortable bonding at that stage. That usually comes later as we exchange information on the sit in progress. I suppose the key is “confident in their own worth and value ie they have high self esteem” - this is not as common as it should perhaps be.

In the case of the OP several rejections after video calls would seriously dent the self-esteem of even a highly confident person.

1 Like

The HO is leaving two of their most precious things in the care of the sitter: their home and their furry family member.

In the vid call they are looking for some sense that the sitter understands and appreciates that these things are precious to the HO.

This is an exchange with a lot of risk for the HO. if, as the HO, I get the sense this is just a transaction for you, I’ll move on to someone who gets it.

You may say that’s asking too much for someone who is asking for barter, but I’ve received it before, and won’t settle for less.

3 Likes

When I apply for a sit, I always let the HO know I am available for a FaceTime call or a Zoom chat.

I prepare for the call by looking my best and make sure the lighting and background are appealing.

All you can do is be genuine, upbeat and express why you would like to do the sit. Also, I always ask “what is your time frame for making a decision?”

Hang in there! The right sits will come your way.

Wishing you all the best sits!!!

Betsy

3 Likes

@lalalein94 after 53 fairly positive responses, are you feeling a little bit better about things now?

1 Like

Speaking as a homeowner - I will often reach out and invite multiple sitters to one sit, to increase my chances of booking someone ASAP. I might do video calls with the top 3 people, and then I select the person I feel is the best fit. It’s possible that the homeowners you’ve been speaking to just cast a really wide net, and they vibed a little more with someone else, or someone else got back to them faster and they were still doing their due diligence with everyone else who applied before making a final decision.

1 Like

I find it helpful to have a few questions ready. My favourite question is ‘Is there anything about your pet that you haven’t yet mentioned that a sitter should know - any quirky or unusual?’ Similarly, ‘Is there anything about your home that a sitter might want to know - anything quirky or unusual?’ This often loosens up the chat quite a bit. I then ask if there’s anything they’d like to know about me . In the video calls, I try to build a rapport, showing interest in seeing their pets, being interested in them and their holiday plans etc. I’m also an introvert so have to push myself a wee bit, but so far it’s worked fine.

5 Likes

I think that the advice of present you more confident optimistic enthusiastic is what a HO needs to see from a person who is taking care of their House
And may be is because you are from
Far from the sitting
That happened to me many times the HO need to be sure that you are not canceling at the end because of that reason

Thank you for all the replies!! I feel a bit better know and even wrote down a few of your suggestions for questions, etc… But reflecting back I think i am already doing most of he things - asking specific questions about the pet, being cheerful, showing interest…

Yesterday i had another video call which i think went well - but again - got declined, “they went with another sitter”.

It’s really hard to not take it personal and i am at a point where i think i have to take a break from applying to sits, because i am getting more and more frustrated after every rejection.

7 Likes

I feel for you there. Sometimes that might be the right thing to do though. If nothing else it gives you a break and takes the stress away.
We havent applied for any sits since last year so maybe its changing out there, how people apply and how HOs choose. Maybe they are choosing to video call several applicants rather than just the one.
But i tend to feel things work themselves out over time. As annoying as it may feel now I’m a big believer in universal energy, so if things dont work out theres something else waiting for you.
Enjoy a break and good luck because im sure you’ll get some great sits when you’re ready…:blush:

4 Likes

It is hard. We’re newbies & so far have got every sit we’ve videoed for. We had one yesterday where they were upfront that they’d got 3 people to see that morning. They said they realised it was going to be a very difficult choice based on everyone’s profile - I felt they were very genuine & that made me feel ok if we hadn’t have got it. I truly believe for those not offered the sit it was the narrowest of margins. I do understand though that if you are a quiet or shy person it must be hard. We’ve many years experience talking to potential new clients as part of our corporate paid work & know this really helps being able to communicate confidently & quickly about the things we know the HO are interested in, whether they ask the question or not. We’ve also been married a very long time & are good at bouncing off each other. Keep going with it - you’re clearly a good sitter

4 Likes

If or when you decide to pursue sits again, you might want to consider setting expectations ahead of doing video chats. Like maybe use written msgs to express your enthusiasm, etc., and mention that you’re happy to do video chats, but you’re shy and might not necessarily come across at your best doing them, though you know they’re valuable to hosts. That context might help hosts to cut you some slack if that’s why you’re not getting sits. Of course, we have no way of knowing exactly what the issue is.

Depending on your inclination, you might also want to do a mock interview with a seasoned host. They might be able to give you useful feedback on how to better your odds.

Often, just repeating what’s not working isn’t likely to get us far.

5 Likes