Interviewing multiple candidates

I am doing exactly like that.
Most of the time I made two videocalls, but it can also happen that I only make one video if I’m excited about someone.

Lately I’ve only been doing one video call and that’s with my favorite. I answer relatively quickly so that if my favorite doesn’t work, I don’t keep the others waiting too long.

If I like two or three other sitters, I usually reply that I’m currently talking to someone but I’ll be happy to get back to you if that doesn’t work. I allways had good feedback about that.

I actually do better with one video call because if I make two video calls and have two very good sitters, then the decision is really difficult and I don’t like this situation.

4 Likes

A sitter who has made two sits is not necessarily worse than one who has made 35 sits. I find that some sitters with countless sits come across here as a bit arrogant and demanding. As if a HO should be totally thankfull when these 35 5 star sitters come to your house.

You can make your profile as good and detailed as you want, ultimately, it’s sympathy that counts.

As mentioned above, since I don’t like to waste time and work a lot, I decided to only make one video call only with my favorite. If that doesn’t work, I will make other videocalls.

4 Likes

For our first time using THS, we interviewed two couples. One had +20 reviews, the other none. We really liked the unexperienced couple, but since it was our first time, we wanted to chat with the more experienced couple first.

Turned out, the experienced couple had zero experience of Asia, so their expectations were a bit unrealistic. They were also not very open to listen to us, f.ex. when we explained why they can’t take our dog for long walks in the neighbourhood. So, we went with the other couple, and they were a perfect match. If we’d have had more courage, we’d only chatted with them in the first place.

The second time around, we also ended up chatting with two, although this time the first chat was agreed on before the second sitter had applied. We did like the first, very experienced house sitter. She wanted to do the confirmation on the next day, but didn’t reply to our messages during “the next day”… so, we went with the second sitter, who seems to be even better match for our sit, though way more inexperienced on THS.

5 Likes

Good on you @CatsAndDog that’s all about trust and match :raised_hands:t3::raised_hands:t3:

3 Likes

I’d say it’s less about arrogance than normal human reaction to supply and demand, or abundance vs. scarcity.

Why I say that: Imagine you need to take a bus and you know that bus comes frequently. If so, you’re less likely to care if you miss one, because you know there are more coming. Contrast that against a bus that comes only say twice a day. It’s going to be more important for you to catch it, because there won’t be another for a while. Or say it would be nice to go vs. you can take or leave going. If the latter, you might not care even if you miss both buses that day.

Supply and demand, or scarcity vs. abundance, are concepts that people fundamentally grasp and act on (and adjust with), even if they don’t realize it. Even animals know. For example, my rescue dog was found malnourished and underweight. When we first got him, he’d bolt down any food so quickly, he’d sometimes throw up. Now after years with us, he knows more food is always coming, so he optimizes for what food he likes better and will turn up his nose at “lesser” food. He’s acting logically, not arrogantly, LOL.

In the THS context, there is an abundance of sits vs. sitters, so sitters who have the greatest choice are behaving rationally — they can be more choosy. If the supply of sits suddenly shrank, you can bet that people would start adjusting.

The same thing happens in a much larger context globally, like with job markets, goods and services, etc. If you observe supply vs. demand, you’ll see patterns that constantly are at play. Like when the supply of candidates is tight, companies sweeten their offers and move more quickly, because it’s logical that they’ll miss out on talent otherwise. But when the supply of labor is abundant, they’re less speedy and generous. Logic.

9 Likes

That is true now, with the holidays. And I still get a stream of alerts for listings with new dates starting on Christmas. I find it hard to imagine that those would get filled. Even if there still was a sitter interested in taking a sit, right now it is very hard for them to buy tickets to travel.

In other periods, I see many sits getting several applicants. That is when looking at the alerts in the areas that I have a Saved search for. If I just do a new search, it is all the listings with “Low application” that come up first. And then I often can see reasons for that.

1 Like

I have not seen any sitters demand anything of hosts on this forum . I have noted that they choose not to apply to certain sits that don’t match their expectations for a mutual exchange .

7 Likes

Yup, in econ, there’s also the concept of substitute goods — the more interchangeable or replaceable something is, the less valuable it is. So if you’re a sitter who wants specific cities that are in short supply, you’ll naturally face a tougher time. That’s versus if you’re a sitter who’s more flexible on location. Then the world might be your oyster.

Personally, I’m highly flexible and will actually be doing fewer sits next year out of choice. So I’ll be even more selective about sits and care even less about not getting ones.

1 Like

My POV is that smart hosts read supply and demand and adjust as needed. Like we can all see how many sits have low applications. Or when hosts post about having a harder time getting sitters. If hosts don’t realize that they need to get speedier in such circumstances, shrug, it’s their problem. They can always pay for sitting or try to get friends and family to sit, or maybe travel less or switch to traveling more with their pets.

Hi @Catlover96

My experience is that I have never been “Interviewed”. It is the other way round.

If I have a phone call with the owner, I have a list of prepared questions that I ask about pets, owners understanding of Code of Conduct, timing of arrival and departure.
I usually ask if there is anything the owner wants to ask of me and they say No. The sit is confirmed at that time.

I am intrigued as to how these “interviews” progress.

5 Likes

@Itchyfeet Be it an interview or a chat… in our case it goes like this:

• Short introduction of who we are
  • Sitters ask us their questions (if any) and we answer.
  • We ask couple of questions from the sitters. Mainly checking they know what they are getting into when coming to Thailand. We’ve normally already covered their travel plans etc. by texting before the video chat.
  • If they didn’t already ask, we give info about our travel times and plans, visas, arrangements with vet and possible emergency situation, a bit more indepht info about our old house and our dog. If they’ve shared a special interest etc., we may give some tips from the area.
3 Likes

I don’t mind if owners want to chat to other applicants as well as me. As long as they understand that I may have accepted another sit before they make their mind up.

8 Likes

Just going back to the OP. And others. I think both sitters and homeowners have their own comfort level and standards, but honestly I don’t think many HOs are going to interview “all five”- as the OP states – simply because HOs with more site experience have a sense of what they need and usually – especially in more popular locations – they’ll be at least a few applications that really aren’t suitable. Trying to set up chats with different schedules and in different timezones is difficult. It’s time consuming for owners too! So my guess is anyone interviewing all five applicants is probably new to the site and thinks this is the way to do it, or isn’t great at extracting the information they need to make a choice based on the profiles, or really isn’t impressed with the applicants and is hoping they are better in person, or something else. They aren’t doing as some kind of power trip because it isn’t that much fun on either end. I don’t see it from a sitter’s point of view as a waste of time if you are interested in the sit and believe in your own skillset and competence.

2 Likes

In my work, we do informational and reference “interviews,” which are all about getting more information from another person. I don’t see much difference here, as it’s an opportunity for both parties to “interview” one another.

I also try not to get too het up about HOs chatting with multiple candidates. I certainly have my own reasons for speaking with multiple sitters, and sometimes that’s just down to logistics, schedules, money, or unclear expectations. Sometimes it’s just who I vibe with better, which isn’t something that is immediately clear over email.

5 Likes

We’re sitters. There has only been once where we have been interviewed along with 2 others, the rest of the time it has only been us alone that HO’s have been video’ing.

Maybe they were both new. They’ll soon realise it’s easiest to go with their heart and gut to video with their favourite one first to see if their gut was right, before deciding to video with others.

In marketing we call them “tissue meetings” if we are still sounding out a potential match. As long as everyone is clear who’s in the running from the start and what the plan is then anything can work as long as both halves are happy :raised_hands:t3:

@Cuttlefish I am googling this and I read: “They are called tissue meetings because they are where the creatives start to cry.”

Sometimes they do @pietkuip Mostly when the client says please make me a TV advert with singing santas, Taylor Swift & 1000 reindeers for prime time and I have a £5k budget…….:rofl::rofl:

I’ve had sits where we had a video call and we weren’t the only ones. There were probably others where we just didn’t know either way. This may be a more common occurrence now with the new application limits. Owners may need to be more thorough in separating out their potential sitters.
Shouldn’t really be a problem unless it means it drags the whole process out for days longer than needed to get to everyone. However I generally don’t wait for a response from a particular sit and apply for multiples having had many go months without response at all so I would recommend doing similar and don’t rely on one application preventing you from applying for something else until it is literally in the bag and confirmed.
I did have one sit where I was asked to come visit which involved some travel costs by train and several hours and assumed it was a meet before approval only to discover they were doing this for multiple people. If asked for similar I would probably now say no thanks up front.

1 Like

No matter what type of sitter someone is, just based on pure math, if a host is interviewing multiple sitters, the odds are worse for each sitter vs. if a host intws only one. So it’s logical that some sitters might consider it a waste of time — that is maybe unless they don’t understand the value of time or don’t value theirs as much as some others might.

Some hosts will intw more than others for various reasons — the applicants might not be strong; the host might be anxious or have unreasonable expectations; they might be inexperienced; etc. It’s similar to hiring mgrs — some don’t know what they’re doing and/or lack confidence or experience, so they might take longer or be more handwringing.

Some sitters might not even care what the host’s motivations are, because it’s relatively easy to just move on and find other sits, where hosts are decisive and/or not anxious or untrusting.

For sitters, unless the listing is unique or otherwise special, many sits are relatively easily interchangeable or replaceable. And for some, they’re not just comparing sits — they also can travel without sitting or travel less.