Is it ok to eat the hosts food?

lots of dogs love cheese too, maybe that’s what happened :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :dog2:

Many years ago I had a Raw Vegan housesitter stay with my pets. She made a big fuss about getting her fruit supplies to my home (a small country town in Western Australia) for the duration of the sit, which was 2 weeks. I came back to so much of my food eaten from that sit!! I was so surprised too because of her stance on her dietary requirements. She didn’t replace what she used and it was definitely not raw vegan :rofl: . That was my lesson too in having a sitter outside of a registered proper housesitting community (she was a friend of a friend), we started using Aussie Housesitters after that and I used Mind My House while overseas to be a sitter myself but was convinced by a person I met at a Vipassana Meditation centre in the USA to use Trusted Housesitters. Even though there are some horror stories, especially on this community forum, I’ve had success stories using this particular site and I would like to assume that people that over eat without replacing are few and far between. On sits I’ve had hosts say “help yourself” and I do, but I always replace what I use. Its simple basic good manners. Which from the sounds of many posts on this forum, more people need to practice.

5 Likes

Yup, we wouldn’t want it to go green and fuzzy, would we?

1 Like

@Maria_Mike It would be a good idea for PPs not to leave any dairy products in the fridge, when departing for a month-long trip.

Sure, I agree, but why are you telling me this? :smile:

1 Like

@Maria_Mike
Because you ve outed yourself as a cheese thief :wink:

2 Likes

Imagine keeping the expensive but aromatic French cheese in the safe for a month!

6 Likes

Often with hosts’ perishables, I put them in the freezer. They can decide whether to make sauces, smoothies, soups, etc., on their return. Or they can toss them. Of course, I judge what’s freezeable.

1 Like

Apparently Owners are TOLD by THS to clear out the fridge and get rid of all perishables.

I hate wasting food and am happy to use items that are perfectly good (produce, milk, eggs), so I proactively tell the Owner that I will use these items, so please don’t throw them away.

Everyone has different needs, preferences, and tastes. It really all comes down to good communication. :grinning:

5 Likes

Yup, they’re told to clear their fridge and, in roughly half my sits so far, they’ve done that.

Once, a host stood at the fridge picking out things individually and asking whether I’d eat X. I didn’t want to go through an inventory, so I just told them to leave everything and I’d eat or toss. In actuality, I hardly ever eat anything that’s left.

4 Likes

You just reminded me of this article about house sitting etiquette, so I thought I’d link it here!

I love @Maggie8K’s idea of freezing perishables (all in the name of preventing food waste!) but it certainly sounds like clear instructions and boundaries are needed between sitter and owner to make sure there’s no misunderstandings!

7 Likes

Maria-Mike,
I actually prefer it when home owners do leave any salad items or vegetables they have not manged to eat. It is always nice to find a few things I can use when I arrive like this. Really hate arriving anywhere and a completely empty fridge, with nothing at all. Why throw out good food when perfectly edible?

4 Likes

I had a sit not so long ago where the fridge was filled with ancient leftover takeaway containers including fish. The smell was so gross. They left it for me to clean up. So I did. I put in all in their freezer. When I was departing, I said I put their leftover containers I the freezer since I didn’t know what they wanted to keep. Their mess, not mine.

7 Likes

Nope, I just said that it isn’t unusual for us to eat 1kg of cheese in 4 weeks. :wink: We would never “help ourselves” to anything without replacing it.

1 Like

Welcome @Love2travell

Yes they usually do .

In that case we would help ourselves if we like the look of what the owners had invited us to help ourselves to .

We have done many THS sits where owners have stocked up the fridge and wine rack with provisions bought especially for us - it’s not something that we ever expect but when it’s been offered we certainly appreciate a generous and hospitable host.

5 Likes

Yeah, agree. Why is everyone posting that to me?! :sweat_smile:

Good idea @Maggie8K The fridge here is rammed! Mostly full of out of date yoghurt, ayran, mouldy cheese and an interesting assortment of fruit and veg. Have made fruit compote & a Turkish soup (including enough for the HO on return night), sniffed the yoghurt and decided it was safe, thrown the ayran, shaved the cheese and used the inside good bit, frozen the berries and bananas and put their Swiss chocolates somewhere safe. :rofl: #imaginationrules

7 Likes

@Maria_Mike I’m Korean and my hubby is caucasian. When we first dated, my mom invited him over for our weekly Sunday morning breakfasts. He would get a large serving and he would finish it all. Then my mom would give him more. He would finish that even though he was stuffed. I kept telling her he was overly stuffed and she wouldn’t believe me because he kept eating. He just didn’t want to be rude. He learned to say, “honey, do you want some of my food, I’m full.” Memories :grin:

5 Likes

Even if HOs told me “help yourself”, I would not eat all of their food and have them return home from their trip to an empty refrigerator and empty pantry.

Prior to my arrival, I have had HOs ask me what foods / drinks I would like for them to provide. If I am traveling a distance, I will say that bottled water and some of my favorite snacks such as red apples / crackers would be appreciated.

Other than that, I do not expect or need a HO to stock a refrigerator for me as I can provide my own food / meals.

2 Likes

As a sitter that does seem rude and over the top. I would personally never have done that. But commenters here make a good point about cultural differences. And for that reason alone you might want to be more sepcific the next time. Im also curious to know how long the sit was for and if it was the sitters’ 'first experience as well. Also, was this a couple? Family?

1 Like