It's time to allow gas reimbursement

Many homeowners in rural places aren’t getting good applicants lately, and are needing to cancel their travel plans.

There are less sitters in rural areas, and even fewer who are interested in sitting locally. It might be possible to catch a sitter driving cross-country, but the probability of the dates lining up is low.

There might be a sitter 10 hours away who would be willing to sit, but who feels that it doesn’t make sense to spend $300 for gas to go somewhere that isn’t an area of high interest to her. If a homeowner were to reimburse the cost of gas, the homeowner would be able to travel, and the sitter would still not be earning any money, thus keeping the spirit of this website.

6 Likes

I assume a big part of the advantage for the owners is that THS doesn’t cost them anything. If they would need to reimburse let’s say 300$ to sitters, would they not just hire a local paid sitter?

2 Likes

We have had offers in the past to cover our travel costs (after we already did at least one sit for them), but we wouldn’t request it ourselves and have only accepted it in exceptional circumstances (where we really went out of our way to help them out). Not sure how many HOs would consider doing this, though. We would rather look at what we can do to travel more cheaply. There are some suggestions in a different thread about gas prices.

Would it be against TH policies if homeowners were to put something in their listing to the effect that they are open to reimbursing for gas expenses? I’m a homeowner as well as a sitter, and I know that if I were to have a hard time finding a sitter, I would be happy to offer to reimburse for gas. Depending on the length of the sit and the geographical distance between sitter and homeowner, paying for their gas could be considerably less than paying for a local, paid sitter. Based on my experience, I’ve had much better outcomes with unpaid sitters than with paid sitters, so I would be more inclined to look for a TH sitter and reimburse their gas rather than pay a local sitter who does it for a living.

9 Likes

I think the main issue is that there are more home owners atm than sitters and probably not much to do with the location……Lots of people got ‘Lockdown’ pets thereby increasing the number of HOs. I may be wrong but have seen this mentioned….A plan b) should always be in place in case a sitter can’t be found

The last sitter I had a few weeks ago accepted the sit a few months ago, long before gas prices increased significantly. It was a 4.5 hr drive one way for them. I gave them $100 for gas when we returned from our trip. (It wasn’t asked for) As the sit was accepted when gas prices were so much lower I felt it only fair to pitch in towards that expense. Given the situation with gas prices I think it only fair HO’s contribute.

14 Likes

That’s very generous of you :clap:

2 Likes

We recently had a sit that was a 12.5 hour drive plus 2 ferry fares one way. It was arranged before gas prices went crazy. Of course we honoured our commitment but the cost of gas would deter me from returning anytime soon which is a shame as we loved the pets.

4 Likes

Hi everyone, The foundation of TrustedHousesitters is a fair and mutually beneficial exchange with no money changing hands. I have just driven from Scotland to North Wales to do a sit, a 7 hour journey and my choice, I could equally have applied for a sit less than a gallon of gas away. We all agree that the cost of living is a concern for everyone at the moment.

With regards to any on sit financial arrangements this is something that can be discussed between the two parties involved and not as a request by any member prior to a sit being confirmed.

The main topic of compensation here is gas/petrol, if this were to be allowed as a condition of a sitter applying for a sit where would you draw the line? Gas, food, air & train fares etc etc.,

There are many arrangements between members where consideration for each other leads to acts kindness and generosity the very bedrock on which our community is built and why it works so well …

6 Likes

Hello @meow Like everyone else, as a sitter I am faced with increased transport costs, whether it be gas/petrol, or flights. I recently passed on a return sit I would have loved, in part because the flight cost was about 50% higher than it was when I did a sit for the family a few months before the start of the pandemic. There were other factors, but cost was certainly a consideration. Such is life.

On this forum we have seen many accounts of generous homeowners who show their appreciation in thoughtful ways. This can still be done. I’m impressed to see @Manunited 's approach - to recognize and show appreciation, even though not requested or likely expected. It reflects the warm and generous community spirit of THS.

I was saddened to read of @Kootenaigirl 's decision to be unlikely to return to a sit because of the travel costs, even though I can understand the logic. However, the THS website clearly states that sitters are responsible for their own travel expenses to get to and from a sit. While that is in place, and was in place when I renewed my membership this year, I will continue to honour those terms.

1 Like

It’s entirely up to the sitter(s) where they decide to travel to for a sit. I enjoy driving (although appreciate it’s not environmentally friendly and use public transport while at sits as much as possible not just to help the environment but it’s a good way of exploring new areas. I couldn’t travel to sits on public transport because I have so much stuff!!
If I decide to drive for 12 hours or 30 minutes to a sit that I fancy then that’s my choice. I don’t have any living costs atm as have rented out my home. So petrol is the only cost I have and wouldn’t dream of asking the HO for a contribution.

2 Likes

We are doing a road trip this summer/autumn up the east coast of US and Canada then down again to Annapolis. This has been postponed till now because of Covid. It is our decision, no one’s else. Next year we are doing exactly the same but on the west coast. Again, our decision.
We plan to travel for a week then look after some animals then travel again. The cost is going up daily but I still cannot see the reasoning to pile that cost onto the pet owners who have accepted us as sitters. It’s not their problem. It was us that made the decisions.

If a person can’t afford the increased fuel costs shouldn’t they be looking for sits nearer home or where they are?

Of course it’s up to the individual whether to ask or not. And I suppose it all depends how desperate the pet owner is but personally I see it as taking advantage of the situation. Would you be travelling there anyway?

5 Likes

I agree. And then where would it stop? Does someone want to pay towards our flights and our car rental? As sitters, we have the option to apply for sits that we are willing to travel to. If it’s too expensive to go there, we don’t. T

hat being said, if a home owner is struggling to find a sitter and they offer to help out with costs in order to find someone, that’s their choice.

4 Likes

I am confused as to why homeowners are allowed to charge $ for utilities costs, but sitters are not allowed to even ask for assistance with gas/petrol costs. Personally, I am fortunate enough to be able to afford the cost increase at this point and would not consider asking for assistance. But it is sad to see so many desperate homeowners needing sitters and many sitters who would be willing to sit for them, but can’t afford the travel expense and thus don’t apply. It is a slippery slope, as to where to draw the line, but it seems like more flexibility is offered to HOs than sitters. Again, as long as it is agreed upon on the front-end, it seems this should be able to be negotiated between the parties- just like utilities are allowed to be negotiated. HOs can always decline sitters who need travel assistance. It seems that allowing this may help fill more sits in these challenging times.

3 Likes

Personally I would feel uncomfortable taking money as a sitter as we all pay a membership fee.
I imagine rising prices affect both parties.
I also agree though that we are more likely to apply for nearer sits than we would have a year or two ago.

1 Like

That’s also my thinking. Now is summer, but heating costs in winter will be astronimical! We don’t expect a contribution to our travel cost, but also don’t want to get charged.

1 Like

I did not realise HO could charge for utilities . I am not sure why they would, unless there was a sitter that wanted the heating on full all the time. I would not charge as we are grateful for a sitter to come and stay.

2 Likes

Hi @Coco,
There are some instances where owners have requested the sitter pay for heating or A/C but that is entirely up to the two parties to make those arrangements.

1 Like

I am not willing to take a sit that requires me to pay for A/C or electric. I have to draw the line some place and that is the only place I have chosen to draw a line in the sand. But to be honest some of the pet sits with large animals that require almost 4 hours worth of work every day does not seem like a pet sit to me. It seems more like a part time job.
As for the cost of traveling I am truly considering downsizing my luggage so that ground transport will be easier in the future. We can always find other ways to save a little bit of cash along the way.

1 Like

Hi @Southernsitter I refer to my previous reply … I hope that helps.

Thank you

1 Like