Month-long sitters just cancelled for July

My own experience.

See this topic that was discussed several months ago. FYI, it’s a good idea to use the little spyglass to search for answers to questions or concerns. . Many topics have been covered in the past.

2 Likes

@Powtastic, perhaps only sitters get access to that info (???)

My confirmed sit is listed as no 1 under sit without dates

Hi @PatriciaUH We are so sorry to hear your sitter is cancelling.
As @Snowbird mentions, I will connect with you via membership services.
Kind regards
Therese

1 Like

hi
I did the same when left in the lurch a day or 2 before a sit and it did work- took quite a few hours to personally message people close who I thought would match but I then got a small panel to choose from and to use later, which is wonderful

1 Like

Perhaps those people are saving for a future date when they have completed more sits and meet your expectations?

4 Likes

you’re right, I did not realize that.

1 Like

@Candide - Also, references will normally always be from friends and family - If you are looking for previous owners opinions you need to be asking for 3 reviews

1 Like

ok, understood, i’ll change my advert then

I just wanted to say I am terribly sorry this happened to you. TrustedHousesitters is a great community for both hosts and sitters alike and most take the commitment very seriously. Sadly cancellations happen and when they are short notice it leaves a bad taste. Last December/January I had a series of 5 sits scheduled in London for a total of 6 weeks. Three of those hosts cancelled. One did so about 4 weeks in advance due to a broken leg changing their plans to go skiing. Another did so about 2 weeks in advance because their kitty was diagnosed with a severe kidney problem. The third cancelled 1 day in advance due to testing positive during the Omicron outbreak. I scrambled and found replacements for all of them and came home Covid-free. Success! I hope you will have the same good luck.

3 Likes

That is such good advice! I recently had my sitter cancel for an upcoming 3 week sit and it left me incredibly stressed out. These are solid tips for sure. In my case, I reached out to a bunch of local sitters, several that were driving distance (7 hours or less) etc. In the end I had an applicant pop through on her own that is going to work out, thankfully!

3 Likes

Saving a sit doesn’t mean a sitter is planning to apply.

I’ve saved lots of interesting looking sits without concerning myself if I’m fully willing/able to meet their expectations right at this moment. Things change and I want to be able to be notified with them have new dates or to be able to access their profile at a later date. Things change and maybe I will be a suitable match in the future.

3 Likes

Exactly, we save sits in order to get a notification on our phones when the HO is looking for a sitter next time. If we see a sit that we like and can do we don’t save it, we apply right away and without delay.

3 Likes

We had exactly the same situation. Sitter is asking to cancel 12 days before month-long sitting starts. @Angela_L, is there anything you can do to help us find a replacement, plesae?

Hello @cavedon and welcome to the forum, although for unfortunate reasons. @Angela_L will pass your information to membership services, who will be in contact with you for further information.

I see that you have embedded your listing into your forum profile, which will help members view it and perhaps give feedback.

In the circumstances, Angela can promote your listing on social media but will need your permission. If you want that done, please direct message her by clicking on her @name and then the green message envelope. I’ll add the benefits of social media below.

Please also watch for a direct message from me in a short while.

Francine,
Volunteer Forum Moderator :canada:

Twice in the past year I’ve have “super sitters” (sitters with many sits and all five star reviews) cancel on me within a month of a three week sit. I feel its only fair if owners can see information on how many sits sitters have canceled. This may give incentive for sitters to be more careful in sits they accept.

7 Likes