New sitter here, need some advice

@NAZDad it’s funny you should mention it (TP). It depends on the length of the sit. On longer stays, we gratefully use 2-3 provided rolls, then we buy our own and may well leave 1-2 of our own rolls for the home owner. On short stays (1 week or less) we trust it’s provided and it has always been provided luckily. Oftentimes these days the Airbnb’s only leave 1-2 rolls, even for one-week or longer sits and it annoys me! Especially when there is no weekly discount included, it means we are still paying the same nightly rate, why should we bring our own? Same for dishwasher tablets - leaving us with 1-2! Obviously it’s not a big issue, just a minor pet peeve.

1 Like

Toilet paper!!! It depends on the length of the sit!!! Perhaps it is a British humour thing, sorry!

1 Like

We arrived at our current destination (not a sit) and there was half a roll of toilet paper in one bathroom. We search to see if maybe there were more rolls stashed somewhere. No. Had to go shopping, in a foreign country, to purchase more on day one. After a few days we discovered that there were more but were hidden under all the towels in a cupboard. We no longer assume that the HO has our best interest at heart!

We had a recent sit with not a piece of TR anywhere in the house as we arrived. Nothing. Nada. Rien. A month long international sit involving two flights, a ferry and a taxi to get there. Hmmnnnn :roll_eyes: In exchange, we left a fully wrapped full roll in both bathrooms and two fully wrapped soaps too. Read the room people. Read the room.

1 Like

Wow, that’s really inhospitable. Some people really have zero consideration for fellow humans.

Unlike my very generous curent HO that knows i have a bladder the size of a pea and left me extra just in case! Tbh with the wine they left us and the fab bean to cup coffee machine they may indeed be required :joy: :joy:

Since they haven’t done this before, and neither have you, I would want to make sure that they’ll be WRITTEN information. The “official” Welcome Guide that THS asks HOs to fill out is a clumsy document, but it is comprehensive. You could tell them you remember information better when you see it in writing, so you’d really appreciate it if they could fill in and send you the Welcome Guide – or an equivalent BEFORE you arrive so you’ll be more prepared and there would be time for questions and discussion. I would even suggest maybe having a videochat to go over the Welcome Guide after you get it.

The devil is often in the details. There are things homeowners may not think of if they don’t often have other people coming in and cleaning up without being their to supervise, so you remind them to make sure they have the specific types of cleaners they use and instructions. For instance granite counters require different care than butcher block or quartz and you could easily damage someone’s counters, using the wrong supplies.

In addition to everything else, you really want to make sure you have adequate emergency information regarding both home disasters AND pet issues. Where is the nearest pet emergency hospital? Could they leave a note authorizing you to get treatment for their pet? Do they have an account? Are they willing to leave a credit card or credit card information with the note in case they can’t be reached? OR at least an emergency contact if they can’t be reached who can pay for and authorize vet treatment?

1 Like

This is a case where you can’t fault THS too much as they did add that “amenities” list which I think also can be a useful reminder of things that should be in a home. However, maybe they need to send a straight out checklist?

Definitely not the fault of THS. Just a bit of hospitality and common sense needed :+1:t3: @Marion