Nyepi, Bali day of silence

I am on a dog sit in Bali, and today is Nyepi, the day of silence.

“Observed from 6 a.m. until 6 a.m. the next morning, Nyepi is a day reserved for self-reflection, and as such, anything that might interfere with that purpose is restricted. The main restrictions are no lighting fires (and lights must be kept low); no working; no entertainment or pleasure; no travelling; and, for some, no talking or eating at all. The effect of these prohibitions is that Bali’s usually bustling streets and roads are empty, there is little or no noise from TVs and radios, limited access to the Internet and few signs of activity are seen even inside homes. The only people to be seen outdoors are the Pecalang, traditional security men who patrol the streets to ensure the prohibitions are being followed.”

I can’t leave the property to walk the dogs, but fortunately, there is a garden, so that will have to do for today.

This is my 2nd time on Bali for Nyepi, and the last time the internet was also turned off, however, this time the wifi is still on, only phones/data services are off.

It is actually a nice day, no noise from motorbikes or
scooters, even the local dogs have stopped barking - so far!!

The only thing I didn’t know was that banks close all atm services at midday the day before, until midday the day after Nyepi, 48 hours, and I was a bit short of cash last night, but have food in for today…

SHHHH :shushing_face: :shushing_face: :shushing_face: :shushing_face:

11 Likes

THIS, that, was the most profound and memorable experience of my time in Bali.
Don’t forget to look for the Milky Way tonight!

Enjoy my friend.
shhhh

3 Likes

Quietly echoing @Amparo, that must be a little bit of heaven in paradise … enjoy Peter.

3 Likes

Sounds like bliss!

3 Likes

That sounds like something that the whole world should adopt for a day… in fact I might adopt this as a regular process - enjoy your peaceful silent day!

6 Likes

We were there for Nyepi (gosh, 10 years ago now!) and it was great. We had no idea it was coming or what it was. Most hotels closed and we only found out about it when we went to book an extra night and were told the hotel was closing and we couldn’t stay anyway. After looking around town (ONE hotel stayed open for unwary tourists like us but it was full) we thought we would sleep on the beach but the Pecalang were patrolling that too. In the end we were really lucky and found a place in Ubud to stay and were able to see all the Nyepi preparations and celebrations from there. Unforgettable :slight_smile:

3 Likes