Only 1 week left to use your paper £20 and £50 banknotes

Just saw this article about UK paper GBP notes not being legal tender after 30 September. Hurry everyone to cash in your paper notes this week as you won’t be able to use them after 30 September 2022.

Must admit, I’ve rarely had cash since the start of the pandemic but thank you for posting this

There is no need to worry if you have old-style notes that you do not have a chance to change in shops. They always keep their value and, after they no longer are legal tender in shops, they can be deposited at any bank indefinitely.

As @Colin says… you can still be take the notes to banks and post offices (an example of clickbait titles from the Bank of England :roll_eyes:):

After 30 September 2022 you will not be able to use paper banknotes. However the following options will remain available:

• If you have a UK bank account, you will normally still be able to deposit them at your bank, or into your account at a Post Office.
  • You can exchange certain withdrawn paper banknotes for polymer notes at a limited number of Post Office branches. This is a new service, and the full list of branches is on our website.
  • You can exchange withdrawn banknotes with the Bank of England, including by post.

But this is a good reminder … thanks @Crookie especially for those with the £5 billion stashed under their beds :joy: (I wish!)

Sentimental story - I do have a £20 paper note my dad gave me a week before my birthday just before he died a couple of years ago - I’ve held on to it to buy something to always remember him by, but still have - I think this is my cue to keep this paper note as that item… I should get it framed.

6 Likes

Already done @Crookie!!

With the way the pound is currently falling, I’ll offer £10 for anybody’s old £20 or £50 notes :wink: