Origins of holidays - does your country have a "unique" holiday?

You may realise there is an influx of sits in Scotland in July. Why?

Well each area has what is traditionally called the fair fortnight, which is two weeks when that area shut down and everyone went on holiday. It’s not so prevalent now but old traditions die hard.

Here is an explanation of the Glasgow fair.

8 Likes

@ElsieDownie Just fascinating thanks for sharing!

If you are not from the USA but are pet sitting here today you may be wondering about our newest Federal Holiday call Juneteenth.
President Joe Biden signed the bill on June 17, 2021, making Juneteenth the eleventh American federal holiday .

How did Juneteenth begin?

On June 19, 1865, about two months after the Confederate general Robert E. Lee surrendered at Appomattox, Va., Gordon Granger, a Union general, arrived in Galveston, Texas, to inform enslaved African Americans of their freedom and that the Civil War had ended. General Granger’s announcement put into effect the Emancipation Proclamation, which had been issued nearly two and a half years earlier, on Jan. 1, 1863, by President Abraham Lincoln.

The holiday is also called “Juneteenth Independence Day,” “Freedom Day” or “Emancipation Day.”

3 Likes

Thank you @ExploreDreamDiscover I did wonder what the day signified as I cannot remember hearing of it before and I am familiar with most US dates … :slightly_smiling_face: