Publishing photos on blogs and personal sites

I’ve looked on some THS forum members web sites and blogs. Very nice, with many pictures
Do you ask for permission before publishing the photos of the pets, of the homes ?
Laws again may be very different from a country to the other

2 Likes

I think a common sense approach to this is what’s required. As long as no personal information or photos that might impact privacy or security of homes is published then we’ve always found that owners are delighted to have their treasured pets featured on our blog.

5 Likes

Since we have a website where we talk about our house sitting experiences, we’re very aware and respectful of an owners privacy. At the end of every house sit we do, we send an email asking if we have their permission to post pictures of their pets. We let them know that we never publish anything with any personal information on it (and we’re always careful to make sure anything in the background is blurred that is personal - like notes and pictures on a fridge or a desk, etc.). We wait until we have written permission to post any pictures, not just on our website, but also forums like this and social media. We’ve never had an owner decline, but would fully respect it if they did, since it’s their decision to make, not ours. :blush:

5 Likes

i realize i’ve posted a photo (the dying cat, without any permission on this forum. Angela please -i know you read all our posts-how can I delete it ?? The post is a few days old and i can’t change anything…

You are better to be safe aren’t you? We have never had any issues with any owners about posting photos on our blog. I think only once did someone ask us not to mention their name as they said they were ‘a famous face and name’! We’d not heard of him but honoured his wishes of course. Changed the names of the owners and even the pet.

3 Likes

Hi @Provence I will look at this for you, please don’t worry we know it was not done with any disrespect.

1 Like

We can never begin to guess what personal preferences someone has, or what circumstances they might be in. So exactly, better safe than sorry!

1 Like

We also always ask permission before posting any pet photos. Everyone loves seeing their pets represented on our website! We don’t post home photos as we personally don’t want to add to the glamorizing of house sitting (“wow look at this gorgeous home I stayed in”) as we feel that it might attract the wrong crowd (that’s in it more for that rather than for love of the exchange and pets). Also, I would feel weird posting the interior of someone’s private home. But that’s just our perspective and might be overly cautious.

4 Likes

I guess many owners are very cautious which may explain you see few photos of indoors and many more of the pets (if not of the owners) on their ads…

1 Like

Well I think that’s a slightly different thing. THS is a closed membership website, vs public blogs that anyone can read. And sitters should be able to see the condition of a house before deciding whether they want to apply. If someone doesn’t feel comfortable publishing their interior home photos on THS, they should say that they will send them privately.

3 Likes

I never publish photos of the homes

1 Like

Be sure to always ask owners permission before publishing any pictures of their pets and property. AARP Magazine interviewed us about our house sitting experiences and they scheduled a photo shoot to photograph us with the pets inside and outside the house where we were housesitting. We asked the homeowners for permission before the scheduled photo shoot and they said “Absolutely not! No picture of their pets or home in the AARP Magazine!” So we were in a bind, no pets and no house for the upcoming photo shoot in a very cold Colorado ski resort! Fortunately, Angela Laws came to the rescue and found wonderful home and pet owners, members of TrustedHousesitters, in a nearby town, who graciously agreed to host the photo shoot in their beautiful home with their wonderful dogs. As a result, we ended up befriending these home owners, who, like us, are also skiers, and they invited us to join their ski group for the month we house sat in Colorado. Wonderful ending to a predicament!

4 Likes

We, like many others, never publish pictures of homes that can identify the location or property. If a close-up internal picture is taken (where it’s impossible to identify anything) we always make sure that there are no personal effects, like photos in the background. We ask owners about posting pet pix on social media and our website, and so far no-one has ever objected - they generally love having pictures sent through the duration of the sit, and don’t mind these being shared. On instagram we always set the location as somewhere “in the region” rather than the specific village or town. We do also run our pix through Photoshop to strip the location data if they are used on the website.

5 Likes

@vanessaanderson We do exactly the same, never reveal private info but find that owners love to see their pets featured.

4 Likes

I think I made a mistake showing this dying cat here on the forum.
Realizing I would not dare to ask permission to the owners, because it was a sad event (for them and me too) even if I had sent that photo to the owners whilst i was in their home, in order them to understand she was really in a bad condition. Not moving although the other cat walked on her to go out in the garden…

1 Like