Are You A Cat or Dog Person? (or can you really be both)

Are you a cat or a dog person AND is it REALLY possible to be both?

When I proclaimed to be both, a few of my TrustedHousesitters colleagues said “Not possible” but is it? Let’s have some fun … we also need picture proof!

8 Likes

Definitely Dog. Don’t really get Cats to be honest.

1 Like

Oh, don’t get me started … “Dog lovers like to be in control”? No way, we just love taking a canine companion for long, healthy walks. “Cat lovers are submissive”? Well, you might have a point there, they do say “dogs have owners, cats have staff”. Seriously, I love them both, equally, and am especially pleased when my sit involves one of each. Just look at these two from my very first (and now regular) THS sit. Built in head rest/built in back warmer - symbiosis in action!

7 Likes

As personal pets, I prefer dogs. But I have fostered and sat for both and love them all. Once Covid is over and you can actually tour and explore towns, my dream sits will probably be with cats so that I will have more freedom to explore without rushing home for potty breaks. That said, with Covid, dogs are the best snuggle buddies and they don’t walk on the kitchen counter tops!

3 Likes

We love both, but I think dogs suit us better! We love getting out for walks and although we have seen a few cats on leads I think dogs are a bit more suited to our lifestyle!

6 Likes

Dogs all the way! Like @anon36831737 said dogs are the perfect walking companions. They are true friends like this one I kissed under the mistletoe!! That said house sitting has made me love cats a lot more. We’ve looked after some real characters and some have acted like mini dogs so they also get a vote!

7 Likes

Doggos suit my outdoor lifestyle to the max and when on a housesit in a new country it’s a fab way to explore and meet lovely dog owners. I also love cattos but always feel a bit worried that they may not come back (when they are outdoor tigers). Photo I have chosen is a wonderful little pack I have looked after several times this year.

5 Likes

I must say …though I enjoy all animals, my heart melts for doggies.
Here, Huck, my three legged furry grandchild.

5 Likes

Ha! Best option cats in the winter and dogs in the spring and summer. This way I don’t have to go out in the cold freezing morning or for late night toilet breaks and in the warmer weather I have company for good long walks.

6 Likes

@Wendy that’s genius you really are enjoying the very best of both the feline and canine pet sitting “worlds” :dog::heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

Had I been asked this last month I would have said dog. However, after spending a month with Mistletoe she has won me over!

7 Likes

Stanley Coren’s research into people’s relationships with pets concluded that most “dog people” also like cats while 68% of “cat people” don’t like dogs.

3 Likes

I don’t mind either but there’s nothing to beat an energetic well trained dog on a good long hike. One that responds to a whistle and loves to run. Cats are very entertaining when they want to be and lovely companions when the weather is cold or wet or both.
Elsie

3 Likes

Of course, you can be both. I have 2 of each. After a difficult divorce, my son brought home a pup following a sleepover and I didn’t have the heart to say “no”. A few months later I “fostered” another pup between owners and the new owner didn’t live up to his commitment and I ended up quite “attached”. But my love of cats was unfulfilled so I then “rescued” 2 manx siblings. There is a heirarchy amongst the dogs, cats, and the foursome. And I still love them all.

3 Likes

Hi @rdcookone welcome to our community forum and thank you for sharing your lovely story and for caring for the unfortunate ones!

Also for voting on the “You can be both” side because many of us know that to be true … we’d also include horses, llamas, pigs in fact all creatures great and small, we love them all.

Thank you for joining in our conversation and we hope to hear more from you and share in your THS journey.

Angela & The Team

1 Like

I’m afraid I swing both ways though I have done more sits with cats! Raised many dogs when I was a HO.
This sit is already too much fun.

But they’re taking the pups for an adventure!

3 Likes

Cats! Only cats! I am not a dog person at all.

4 Likes

Me too @Amparo

1 Like

2 Likes

WOW :heart_eyes: I wish I had “hair” like that @Grandma