What brought you to TrustedHousesitters?

Hello and thanks so much for starting off some great discussions this week.

Today, we’re sharing a ‘Becoming a Member Question’ and we’d like you to transport your minds back to when you originally joined TrustedHousesitters. Tell us, what was it that brought you here, and made you want to join?

Looking forward to seeing your answers!

1 Like

What a great question and after 10 years with TrustedHousesitters I can honestly say it was fate and one of those “being in the right place at the right time” moments that can often, literally change your life.

I had lost my beloved Springer Holly and as animals are part of my very being (like so many of us) pet sitting gave me the opportunity to have animals in my life once more without becoming a permanent pet owner again as I knew that just wasn’t right for John or I at the time.

I was living in Vancouver, Canada and in the UK sitting a friends cat in Wiltshire when a chance email brought Any Peck (co-founder of TrustedHousesitters) into my life with his dream of creating:

“A global community of sitters who love animals so much they will care for them for free” … and a “will you help me?”

10 years later, over 200 house sits, working with a amazing team of passionate pet lovers, pet and housesitting the world while helping to build our community in true digital nomad style, connecting (and loving) literally hundreds of pets and their wonderful owners I have a lifestyle that feeds my three passions; PETS PEOPLE & PLACES …

I really do have the best job in the world and everyone on here is part of my world …

THANK YOU for making it a truly better and very special place! :heart:

9 Likes

Greetings all from a very blustery island in the Channel (Guernsey!)

We used to have two adorable border terriers in our lives and when the last one died five years ago we were at a bit of a loss. Another dog? Mmmm, we’d suddenly started to appreciate the ties that being a dog-owner involved. The walks no matter what the weather, the lack of freedom to stay overnight at a friend’s house. Expensive kenneling if we wanted to go away, vet’s fees (well over £8000 in the last couple of years as one of our dogs became diabetic). We felt too old to take on a puppy and rescue dogs are difficult to get here. And then a friend suggested we take up house-sitting. We mulled over the idea and thought there was no harm in giving it a go. We began here on the island with two sits to see if we liked the experience. Both families very quickly became firm friends. Then we decided to cross the water and spent a year doing sits in the UK. Having had such positive experiences we decided to venture into Europe and have spent the last two years doing sits in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and Italy. We’ve made friends everywhere we’ve been and been invited back to so many places that we’ve lost count. So, we have the best of both worlds, a furry friend or two to love, free accommodation when we travel and new friends. What’s not to like?

6 Likes

We were looking for an alternative lifestyle. Tom was semi-retired and I could work from anywhere. It was by chance we found housesitting in a Google search. We thought why not, so we joined TH. The first one went so well, we have never looked back, 4 1/2 years later. Similar to others a chance of fate and now a lifetime of memories - 60 sits and 10 countries later (visited more along the way but have sat in 10).

5 Likes

Well, our reasons for wanting to pet-sit are emotionally draining to recount (and appear in our profile) so I won’t recount them here. I see the question as “why did you choose TrustedHousesitters?” Rather than why why we wanted to sit. So:
Short answer; the “Trusted” part. For newbies like us, there’s a fear element and we are firm believers in adages such as “always buy the best you can afford”, “you get what you pay for” and “if it looks too good to be true, it probably is”. (All that will be our age talking!)
All those free groups and sites appear to be aimed at the young, carefree, nothing to lose generation (and yes, I was that person once. Hitchhiking across Europe with a friend, sleeping under the stars etc.) But life teaches you lessons and some of us choose to pay attention. My version of throwing caution to the winds these days is trying a new Krispy Kreme flavour :joy: so, ask yourself whether you want to buy your lovely shiny new car from the main dealer or an Online Arthur Daley (age showing again!).

11 Likes

Back in early 2016, we sent a prayer out into the universe for “effortless cat care”. We had both stopped working, loved to travel but hated the idea of leaving the kitties in a kennel or paying the fees for a live in housesitter. We mentioned it to a the godmother of our cats and she passed along your name, having heard about you from another person.

I googled and we were off. Created a profile, posted pictures, paid the fees and I started watching for opportunities. We started off sitting internationally, going first to a 2 week sit in Port Macquarie, Australia, caring for the largest chocolate lab, Sophie, on the planet and her kind, generous, loving mother, Jennifer. (NOTE: Sophie passed in late 2019. We hoped to get back to see her again on our 2019-2020 trip but she died in October before we arrived. However, we still connected with Jennifer and Jim and enjoyed an amazing holiday with them on Lord Howe Island. Google it and make your plans. AMAZING). Back to 2016. We arranged the rest of our trip around this sit and absolutely loved Australia and caring for animals as we travel. Its much more intimate, walking dogs we’ve meet some of the most interesting people and would NEVER have had these kinds of interactions staying in a hotel or even an Airbnb. The next year, we went to Maun, Botswana and New Zealand. The third year, I did some solo sits in Italy, France, Switzerland after my solo walk on the Way of St. Francis in Italy. We’ve returned to Australia and New Zealand and once I set the intention to sit on 6 continents, I did a sit in Portland and made a new long term friend.

Now, I can’t imagine life or traveling without Trusted Housesitters. We have made so many friends, loved so many animals and the world, as crazy as it sometimes feels, is much kinder and smaller and more intimate in my Trusted Housesitter’s universe. Thank you so much for creating this wonderful service.

7 Likes

I was referred by a colleague and I browsed the site for a while until I found a sit I liked the look of. I signed up, applied and got the sit (beachfront Adelaide) in 24 hours and it’s all been great since then. I have looked at other sites but nothing comes even close to the user experience of TrustedHousesitters - and that’s improved the past three years, too! I also feel that the quality of sits is farrrrr better with THS. I’ve been to some amazing places with THS and I’m super grateful for the amazing animals I’ve had the honour to care for.

6 Likes

Hello! Good to hear from you. Yes, we do prefer to go away as, although we enjoy the company of an animal, we also want to travel. We’re reluctant to do sits here on the island as unfortunately we find that there’s a danger of becoming a regular dog-sitting service. As you’ll be aware you often become friends with the owners and then it’s hard to say no. We’ve missed the opportunity to do other sits having agreed to look after the same animals here. We have recently been approached by new owners here but have declined due to Covid. There are about half a dozen sitters here registered with TH (or there were last time I looked!) However, there are several commercial sitters/dog-walkers so I’m not sure how often sits here come up. It may be that you were the person who sat for one of our families here! I hope that helps.
Happy sitting!
Jane

3 Likes

Well I first heard about Trusted Housesitters when I read an article in ‘The Times’ some years ago about the founders. They were a couple who were travelling, got asked to housesit for someone while on their travels and thought it would be an idea to set up a housesitting organisation. I decided to join in 2012 in order to housesit for holidays, travelling from home but while I was still working. I never actually did housesit then and my membership lapsed. However, 2 years ago after not getting a job I really fancied I decided to relook at TH and thought I’d take up a travelling/housesitting so rejoined. In January 2019 I rented out my home, sold my furniture and car. So far I’ve done 19 housesits (11 in England and 8 in New Zealand). Back in my home owing to my travels cut short because of the pandemic.
I love the lifestyle and can’t wait to rent out my house again and get back in the road, meanwhile housesitting from home and back!

4 Likes

For us it was the combined ability to continue our love of travel and still have the dog companions when we are at home. Most the time we work hard, And don’t travel. However, when we do travel we certainly love the peace of mind that our dogs are in their own home and we are not incurring the added cost of Long-term pet or day. As we often times take two week trip’s internationally that would add up very quickly for two large dogs.

3 Likes

Ha! I thought it must be. They’ve become good friends of ours but we haven’t done too many sits for them as we’re often away from the island. I wrote about our first sit with Scheggia in my book ‘Barking Mad: Confessions of a Dog-Sitter’ ! Hopefully you’ll get the chance to come back for a longer stay some time.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s the same family. Scheggia has an account on twitter! She’s certainly very barky at times! You obviously charmed her!

1 Like

My husband and I took a first time cruise in 2015 from Singapore to Dubai. We met a couple from England who we became quite friendly with on the cruise and they were talking about their pets and I asked who looked after the pets and they said “Trusted HouseSitters”. I’d never heard of THS so was intrigued. I’d thought of doing home swaps but never thought of house and pet sitting. We joined as soon as we returned home and applied on our first local sit which we were so excited to get and did a lot of local house sits in the beginning to get a feel for it.

5 Likes

During 2017 spent $1,500.00 for a 2 week stay at a AirBnB in Boulder, Colorado.

During 2020 spent $300.00 to travel to Housesits for four (4) months in New Mexico and Colorado…

'Nough said?

6 Likes

In 2013 were on holiday in Australia and got talking to a lady on a train who told us she had retired and was house sitting her way round the country. That same weekend we read an article about house and pet sitting in the Sydney Morning Herald. The rest, as they say, is history.

3 Likes

Had been sitting for a colleague of mine who moved on to another position and she mailed me to tell me about all her new cat crazy colleagues. She then went on to tell me that one couple had done some sits for THS and that it most certainly would be something for me. Having just said oodbye to my last cantankerous old lady tabby Poespuss and considering whether or not to take on another I decide THS would be e great between alternative. My first sit was for a beautiful but fragile mini black panther called Little One. He stole my heart from minute one and have tried to find sits after that for animals who are like him older and need that litlle bit extra care

4 Likes

Hi @Maggie Welcome to our community forum, crazy cat lady fan … it’s great to have you join. Thank you for introducing yourself and for sharing your story, we hope this will be the first of many visits.

Sitting senior pets is so special I looked after a beautiful senior Burmese call Izzy 9 times and we sadly lost her just after her 21st birthday she gave many sitters some wonderful memories and touched many hearts.

Thank you for being part of our caring pet loving community.

Angela & The Team

1 Like

Angela yes, the oldies often really sweet and loving so you just want to spoil them whilst you get the time to enjoy them. Have had a few more “special” kitties after Little One and they have all been such lovelies. Going to look after another special kitty next week. Great to be with THS !!

1 Like

We were on an around the world trip and heard that pet sitting was a great way to slow down the pace of travel without blowing your budget. After doing sits via country specific websites we did some research and found THS has the largest number of listings and the best website. So we became members.

2 Likes

Hello from the state of Maine, USA!

My husband and I learned about trusted housesitters when I did quite a bit of research before we went jobhunting in Colorado in 2014. We had three Laperm kitty cats, and in short order so that trusted housesitters seemed the best possible choice. We were gone three months and we’re only able to meet the first house sitter. The sitters wrote in a journal that I left for them and sent photos regularly. Our kitties became attached to each one, often leaving toys in their shoes just before they left. It has been fun to watch the company grow now that it’s been almost exactly 7 years we have been with trustedhousesitters.

We stay in touch with many of our sitters and they have become dear friends. I don’t expect that to change, but become even more so with relationships in the times ahead.

3 Likes