Rising gas prices

My local Costco (14 miles north of London, UK), has been steadily increasing its fuel prices over the past week or so. This morning, Unleaded Petrol was £1.68 a gallon. This means that in the UK, if all Costcos are doing this, it is no longer such an attractive proposition to join.
Further, as a flat dweller, where on earth would I store 56 rolls of toilet paper and 24 bottles of brown sauce ?? !!

2 Likes

Wow that’s ‘cheap’! I was pleased to find unleaded petrol yesterday at £1.74 yesterday, all the others were over £1.84

I hear you in every word right!! Thanks for the link too

We use trains, buses and car sharing. There hasn’t really been a dramatic increase in prices for these modes of transport (although they did increase in price very steadily in the past). If you have your own car you might be able to consider using car sharing as well. Not sure how popular it is in the US, but in Europe it works OK. You can offer your rides on BlaBlaCar and dramatically lower your petrol cost.

2 Likes

Are there any decent ridesharing apps/platforms in the U.S. yet? I used to get rides on blabla all the time before COVID. We desperately need more things like this in America - hopefully a silver lining of this recession will be a bit of a cultural shift.

5 Likes

Petrol stations in Lincolnshire are starting to touch £2/litre - $9.35 USD/gal. It’s like watching a train wreck; I can’t look away…

2 Likes

Not sure about ride sharing platforms in the US, but for Europe there are also Facebook groups for that. We never actually got any rides through the FB groups, though.

1 Like

$2.29 unleaded where I am but according to my friend in a regional part of my state, he is paying $1.67 a litre at an independent fuel station.

1 Like

What apps are you referring to?

Turo is a car-sharing company in the US.

Yes, I would be bringing my cans to fill up on top of filling up my car.