SE Asia / Scotland

Hi everyone, my name is Peter, from Glasgow, Scotland.
I have been house and pet sitting since June 2017, mostly around SE Asia, but due to current circumstances, I am at home in Glasgow, almost 5 months now!!
I have only managed to do one sit in Scotland since returning, I don’t currently have a car as I am not sure how long I will be in Scotland, planning to travel back to Asia once borders reopen.
I have completed over 40 sits in total over the last 3 years, mostly with THS, including a number of repeat sits, one of my favourites has been on Bali where I have done sits , 4 for the same owner, so have in fact spent 6 months of the last 3 years on Bali !! I think I have now looked after 44 dogs, 10 cats, 2 rabbits, chickens and a sparrow in around 30 different homes.Can’t wait to get travelling again.

4 Likes

Hi @Petermac … Peter welcome to our community forum it’s so great to have you join. :wave:

What amazing journey you’ve been on.

Like many of our community you must have incredible stories about the connections you’ve made with people and pets and we can only imagine the photographs, we can’t wait to get to know you and share in your adventures and your experience.

PS I’m almost your neighbour, full time sitter with feet planted on the ground in Cove, Helensburgh since March 27th, the longest in one place for years. Hello neighbour!!

1 Like

Welcome @Petermac. Reading you, i feel miserable to have known THS only 1year ago. Instead of exchanging homes and putting my own pets in my vet’s assistants hands (who charged me to keep them when we traveled) would have pet sit much more earlier !
Now that i’m 70, i’m not sure i will be able to experience pet sitting for many years more. How sad !

2 Likes

Hi @Petermac sounds like you’ve had a super time. I’ve only been officially housesitting (via THS and friends) since January last year and have only done 20 (12 in the UK and 8 in New Zealand). I was about to do my first sit in Oz when the pandemic hit so decided to return to the UK, arriving 1 week before lockdown. Good news re vaccine, so let’s hope it’s a success and we can all get back to the wonderful housesitting/travelling lifestyle properly some time next year!

2 Likes

@Smiley Smiley, are you kidding ? 20 in a year ??

1 Like

Not that difficult, I have only been sitting for just under 3 years and have managed over 40 - some for 2 or 3 nights, some for 8 weeks, but almost full time, so …

2 Likes

@Petermac
Waouh !!! It’s a real job, you’re applying full time ??

1 Like

I was until covid. Early retired so I travel full time, housesitting helps cover the bills. SE Asia is reasonably inexpensive to live and travel.

1 Like

So being retired, you manage to find many sits, I feel relieved.
I thought my age could be a problem (young looking owners don’t even take time to answer me so now I don’t send applications to young ones) but may be not, I have to find another reason to have got so many messages from THS "you’ve not been successful this time" which is always depressing, when owners did not explain you why

1 Like

There are not so many sitters in SE Asia, I have been lucky. I am also quite flexable in where I sit, and am able to travel. I don’t mind flying from Singpore to Hongkong for instance( 4 hour flight). As long as you understand the visa requirements in the region, vary from 2 weeks to 6 months visa free, and how to get extensions etc, full time sitting is/was reasonably easy. I did think that being a solo male sitter late 50’s may put some people off, but again I have been lucky, now have 30+ 5***** reviews on THS, so must be doing something right.

1 Like

Hi Peter and welcome to the forum! My partner and I are also (normally) full time sitters and we did a 3 week sit in Glasgow a couple summers ago! Such a lovely city, we really fell in love with Scotland during our time there. We hope to return to the UK (we’re from the US) for lots of house sitting in the future. We really love how easy it is to get around without a car there - at least compared to most places in the U.S.! Haven’t been over to Asia yet, so we’re very curious to explore there in the future!

2 Likes

You read it wrong @Provence! I’ve done 20 sits since I started in January last year (2019)! Only managed 2 sits since I returned to the UK, owing to the pandemic, in March this year…

1 Like

Sorry @smiley

1 Like

No problem! :grin:

1 Like