Search Filters - Website Design - Wish List

If we’re discussing our wish list, I’d like to be able to search for specific dog breeds and rule out others. Of course to be included in the search results HO would have had to include the breed of their dog(s) in their listings. These advanced searches would use Boolean operators, AND, OR, NOT and enable you to search the entire text in a listing for words such as gluten, lake, pool, sauna, etc.

3 Likes

Or am I missing something? I love browsing and reading listings, but if you are on a mission to find a match for your upcoming dates or simply prioritize sits starting sooner or whenever your current sit ends, it’s a nightmare as they show up all over the place by default.

This seems like a really easy feature to add - have other sitters made similar requests in the past or would anyone else find it useful?

1 Like

@86529052 I agree that it would be preferable, even though I realize we can use the date filter. However, I doubt there are many really easy features to add when it comes to programming, unfortunately.

@sanora

Not entirely sure I understand your dilemma but if my guess is correct the answer is as follows:

Pick your dates and zoom in on the area you´re interested in, e.g. East Coast … available sits during a specified date frame will show up

@RadarInc I agree, but not in chronological order. I think that’s the request, or the ideal scenario. @86529052 :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Can you give me some idea what you mean by the date filter, and how it actually works? All I am trying to do is narrow down sits that start within a few days of my current one without missing any good ones because my date search is too precise or can’t be open ended!

Hi @86529052 your post was moved to get more exposure and the opportunity of receiving higher engagement.

We can´t have it all @Snowbird, or can we? :wink:

Meanwhile, a short time frame, small area, and not too many listings should be quite manageable even if not displayed chronilogically

I asked for a chronological date search a long time ago.

It would be extremely useful to be able to first search by area with a date range.

Then have sort filters available which can filter the sits by chronological date.

1 Like

I agree with @86529052 , the ability to return search results ordered by start date would be so useful.

I’m currently looking at housesits within around an hour’s travel of central London. My son has an appointment in London, and commitments beforehand mean that our start date can only really be one of 3 consecutive dates in the second week of August. However our end date is flexible and could be as late as early September. My search is returning 300 listings, but the majority start after our preferred start dates. It would be so much quicker and easier if results were returned in order of start dates.

3 Likes

I totally agree @FloridaBuckeye. Results sorted by start day would not only be more useful but also a logical way of displaying search results. It would however interfere with the THS´ boost program which could be a reason for sorting them by published date.

On the second thought, maybe such a listing wouldn´t be too messy as the boosted listings are typically last-minute listings.

The boost program can still be there. The search can be two tiered.

Tier 1 search for date range, location, pets (just as it already is).

Tier 2 after initial search would be an option to sort the results. The results can still come up with the boosts. Just now, we’d have an option to narrow the results by chronological dates.

This is not hard to program. Many websites offer this option.

1 Like

Hi @86529052 I think we’re saying the same thing when you refer to date search and I said date filter. ‘Dates’ is one of a number of filter options. :slightly_smiling_face:

I think convenience of sitters (which HOs are paying for access to and ability to match with) should trump paid boosts - we’re all paying the base membership fees anyways and we are the users of the site. I’m sure that if I were a HO paying a bit more I would still want the results to give me the best chance of finding a sitter, and chronologically sorted results would make a huge difference especially for sitters who tend to make their plans less than a few months in advance (like me!)

@86529052
Sure thing. I am a sitter myself and don´t care much for long-term planning. On the contrary, if I were to choose I´d start looking for a sit a couple of days prior. Hence, chronological order would be more practical for me.

2 Likes

We want to set our preferred duration of a sit to 4 days maximum. Currently under the setting for ‘Duration’ the sliding scale is set from 3 days minimum to the next spot which is 7 days.
I suggest that this setting be modified to allow for the sitters to more accurately set their preferred duration of sit. This would benefit both sitters and owners as both parties could avoid wasting time with barking up the wrong tree.
TIA
AKiwi

2 Likes

On each listing and each location page, I would like an option to permanently hide it when browsing or searching. This would save me tons of time and make finding the perfect sit much easier. Once I’ve decided that a home/location/pet doesn’t match my needs, it would be nice to not have it cluttering everything else.

For example, I have a cat allergy, so I would like to automatically hide all listings that have a cat, without having to specify it in the search filters every time.

I don’t have the means to travel internationally, at least to those countries not adjacent to me. There are also certain regions, states, or cities I have no desire to visit, due to crime fears, previous visit experience, distance from my home, etc. I would like to automatically hide all listings from those places.

The number of currently open listings with “0-3” applicants says to me that finding housesitting jobs needs to be easier. I think this feature would help with that.

6 Likes

Definitely agree that it would be nice to be able to at least hide individual listings so they don’t keep popping up. It’s a waste of time to keep opening the same listings and go oh yeah, i didn’t like this one.

3 Likes

I’d like the option to do that for geographic searches. For example, if I search locally/regionally, sits in British Columbia come up when I’d like to limit it to sits within WA and OR. Also for example, if I search in the Philadelphia area, I end up with New Jersey sits–not convenient.

Plus, the map is very jumpy.

3 Likes

I agree this feature would be super handy! I’m looking for sits between certain dates and want to exclude particular countries but i cant so i have to scroll through all of them… It’s time consuming and more app filters would be great.

2 Likes