Sitter leaving during a sit due to problem with fleas

Thank you everyone who has replied to my post. There’s obviously quite a range of opinions, I wonder if owners perhaps view the situation a bit differently to sitters? Also, it’s interesting that quite a few people have mentioned health issues when actually fleas do not normally cause health issues or spread disease in the UK ( I accept of course that some people may be more irritated by flea bites than others- in a similar way to other insect bites).

I don’t think anyone mentioned the (maybe small) possibility that the fleas might have been inadvertently introduced by the sitters- who had just come straight from another sit. There were no fleas downstairs even though that’s where our cats spend most of their time.

As parents and grandparents, we are aware that parents are always going to put the well-being of their children first, but there would have been virtually no risk of any health issue (other than perhaps a minor skin irritation) and the mother and baby could have stayed with family. We do however expect house sitters to display a certain amount of resilience to deal with unexpected issues and are unlikely to ever again choose a family with young children to sit for us.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone mentioned the (maybe small) possibility that the fleas might have been inadvertently introduced by the sitters- who had just come straight from another sit. There were no fleas downstairs even though that’s where our cats spend most of their time.

I actually thougth about this and meant to mention it earlier. Sometimes fleas can travel in bags.

I was going to ask you if the anti-flea treatment on the pets was administered right before you left, and perhaps they were walked around an area that was infested with fleas. And because they had the flea treatment, the fleas fell off from them but stuck around in your bedroom. That’s a possibility too.

1 Like