The good, the bad and the enchanting of a Xmas house-sit

A couple of years ago I was house-sitting over the Xmas period in England for two cats and an adorable Shih Tzu puppy. The H.O’s, a young couple who went out of their way to try and make their home welcoming with Xmas decorations, flowers, wine and chocolates . They were also kind enough to organize insurance so I could have use of their car. All went well until a couple of days before Xmas when I woke up to a very cold house. The one thing they had forgotten was to fill up their oil tank and of course it was impossible to order a delivery before Xmas. To add to my woes the car broke down and had to be towed back to the house and was out of action for the rest of my stay. Neighbours rallied with heaters and a friend of the H.O. lent me his car which was extraordinarily generous. It snowed and the adorable little puppy discovered that this soft, wet, white fluffy stuff could provide endless possibilities. He spent all morning literally bouncing around the garden burying his toys in the snow. That little puppy made my day with his sheer delight and exuberance and Xmas one I’ll never forget for all the right reasons and not the challenges and frustrations.

5 Likes

It will be our first ever Christmas sit .
Will let you know how it goes.
Seems a very nice lady.

1 Like

Where will you be house-sitting?

1 Like

Spent Christmas and New Year on Bali last year. The HO had spent years living and working around the world and had a lovely collection of Christmas novelties - little Santas and robins and so on, some china some plastic etc.
The 2 little shit Tzu’s were no problem but the 4-month-old rescue beach dog kept pinching them and chewing… Eventually had to remove most of them. I arrived on about 6th of December until 4th of January so it was nice of the HO to decorate the house for Christmas even if she wasn’t going to be there - even left me costumes for the dogs…

5 Likes