The Help Category

It’s looking a bit lonely & underused.

Is this category for Help with the Forum, or Help on the THS site, or Help with housesitting issues? May be too general.

2 Likes

Very good point! @Jon-JWalking

@Angela_L - Another idea possibly - It would also make sense, that as frequent questions are answered on the forum and popular topics are covered over time, that they be added to a Wiki type post that is pinned to the top of a category. Possibly something in the Help category?

2 Likes

Well the pinned post describes it as:

For general questions, troubleshooting or queries.
Have a question or query about the website, a sit, or where to get started? Ask your fellow forum members here.

So, it’s sort of a catch all but I’m not sure that isn’t too nebulous. If one removes the repetition, it is for “general questions, troubleshooting, [questions] about the Website, a sit, or where to get started”. That implies one could even ask about specific sit listings, which seems unlikely.

2 Likes

@Saltrams So basically everything. Seems to cover the whole forum.

1 Like

@ScrewTheAverage An FAQ on the forum is a great idea. Would need moderating and managing though.

2 Likes

A Wiki is a reference to Wikipedia and is defined as “a website that allows collaborative editing of its content and structure by its users”.

It’s a crowd sourced encyclopedia, so essentially answers and knowledge provided by the community itself.

2 Likes

I believe votes are restricted either by time (you can’t do more than 3 per week, for example) or by trust status on the forum. If I find out exactly whilst poking around, I’ll let you know.

As to the validity of the votes, that’s up to THS & we await a reply to my question on Help on the Voting Function and Value in Discourse

2 Likes

@Provence @Saltrams Voting is restricted both by trust status, numbers and frequency of application … all will become clear with the functionality update

1 Like

True, but on the other side of the coin there are plenty of members that do read the FAQs and support articles to learn how to use the features (we fall into that category! :wink:). So it’s nice when it’s available to those that do take advantage of it.

3 Likes

@ScrewTheAverage Totally agree, FAQs and Wikis are so useful and a major help to most users.

3 Likes

@Saltrams @Provence @Jon-JWalking @ScrewTheAverage @Samson

Voting

Voting has been opened on the ideas/feedback category so we can gauge how popular a post is.

This allows us to understand how urgent something may be for the product team.

At this time we’re not using voting on other topics but may add this function in the future, where we think it would be beneficial

Thank you and keep asking, suggesting and challenging, it’s what we and the forum are here for.

Angela and the Team

2 Likes

Thanks @Angela That makes good sense. Maybe THS should pin a post in the topic, saying that voting is applicable only in the topic?
And have our voting abilities been altered?

2 Likes

Something for the Admins to investigate @Provence

Hi Angela is this “ideas/feedback” category still existing? I can’t find it and can’t figure out how to “vote” as well.

Hi @Lost.In.Translation yes the category is still available … be sure to choose the Member Feedback as this will give the voting option also.

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face: