Travel Update: Canada PCR or antigen test requirements

We just returned from our first international trip outside of Canada which wasn’t a house sit but a personal vacation. I just thought I’d share some info on the requirements to get back into Canada and the U.S. for others who may be thinking of travelling internationally. As Canadians we required a PCR test prior to coming back to Canada. It was done at the resort and cost us $373 Canadian for the two of us. We spoke to other Canadians who had stayed at other resorts and some of them were charged $600 CAD for the same test. The Americans at our resort only required an Antigen test which cost $32 U.S. We had to show our vaccination certificates although it was a requirement for flying home and we also had to fill out an ArriveCan document.

3 Likes

Tried to edit my post - vaccination was NOT a requirement for boarding the plane returning to Canada.

2 Likes

You didn’t have to be vaccinated because you’re Canadian. Non-Canadians must be vaccinated AND take a PCR test to enter the country.

Also, starting sometime in October, all travellers in Canada will have to be double vaccinated. No date has been announced yet.

@Globetrotter @Kelownagurl thank you for this information getting location specific insights into travel protocols is so important and extremely helpful

@Globetrotter I have moved this into the travel category as it is relevant to all travelers … thank you again.

Thanks Angela!

1 Like

Just to clarify, Canadians do require a PCR test to return to Canada. We traveled to Mexico.

2 Likes

Yes, definitely. Sorry, I didn’t include that but good point.

PCR costs vary widely, depending on who you use. It is free in some countries (Ireland) if done at a government facility. rapid test costs also vary widely. As with everything, it pays to shop around.

For my first ski holiday to the Austrian Tirol in TWO WHOLE YEARS (crying) in February 2022, I will be travelling with my hazmat suit if necessary. I am prepared to offer my hand in marriage to the airport police at Munich airport. Nothing is going to stop me enjoying that fluffy white stuff and seven days of Apres Ski.

5 Likes

Good luck, Petermac, with all these arrangements! Thank you for educating some of us on what is ahead of us where international travel is concerned. I might be delaying it until sometime next year!

3 Likes

@LTD friends just came back from Austria and they had to have their booster vaccination, because you either received your (double) vaccination not longer than 9 months ago or you have to have the booster!
If you only transit in Munich airport without actually entering the country, the German laws don’t apply.
Enjoy your ski holiday!

2 Likes

Thank you! All info to help me get on that flight on to Munich and then onward transit (I won’t enter Germany, only sleep on the seats in the airport until the ICE train at first light!) is manna from heaven! I am due to have my C19 booster jab before the end of November so I am good to go!

2 Likes

That’s great to hear! All fingers crossed that this holiday is going to happen :pray:t3::pray:t3::pray:t3:
Where do you travel from when you fly to Munich?

Same for Ireland @Lassie: You can get a free PCR test from the HSE but it can’t be used for travel.

1 Like

I recently flew Toronto to Florida and back (collected my 95 year old mum for a visit after almost 2 years not seeing her). It was a stressful experience all round, but now that I’ve done it, much more prepared for our upcoming travels.

Flying Toronto to Florida, only had to complete a US Attestation Form and hand it in prior to security. Not sure where all those millions of pieces of paper were being filed, but it seemed like a massive waste of paper. Didn’t have to show vaccine receipt or PCR results to US Customs.

Had to upload vaccine receipts to the Air Canada website, but was only required to show PCR results when flying Florida to Toronto. The Air Canada attendant at the gate in Florida announced “no one will be allowed on my plane without proof”!

Had to show both vaccine receipts and negative PCR results to Customs in Toronto, as well as completing the ArriveCan document which came up when the Customs officer scanned my passport.

Of PCR costs, definitely shop around. Air Canada’s website will direct you to LifeLabs which costs $250, and you have to book and pay in advance. I went to a small, nearby pharmacy and paid $130. I got my results in less than 24 hours.

4 Likes

I mentioned that the test in free in Ireland @travellingnomad . I know that the facilities say that this test isn’t valid for travel (presumably to reduce the numbers of people using the free testing), but I assume that the US authorities/airlines would accept the test if it met all the listed requirements (probably other countries also, but I was only researching US requirements). I did the rapid test at Boots, but the airline check of requirements was so cursory that I think the gov test would have worked.

Anyone travelling to the US, I highly recommend using the VeriFly app. Once I uploaded all my info to the app, the check-in attendant at the airport just glanced at this and didn’t need any paper documents.

3 Likes

Gosh - that’s a lot to go through but enjoy your holiday :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the update @anon39388349

1 Like

Thank you for posting information about your first hand experience @PetSitterBug