Unusual food for pets

What is the strangest food you have had to feed a pet ? Did you make it yourself, was it left in the freezer ? or…

1 Like

I looked after a giant of a dog, Pyrenean Mountain Dog, in Ho Chi Min City, Vietnam a couple of years ago. He was a Vegetarian. Had a skin condition and the owner worked out that meat was not good for him.
So he ate a mix of roasted pumpkin, vegetables and porridge.

As I have said, he was a BIG dog, so ate a lot, and what goes in, comes out…

Fortunately, the sit included a helper/cleaner 3 mornings a week and her job on a Wednesday was to buy and cook his food, and freeze enough for the week.
Then I just had to remember to take it out of the freezer each day.

3 Likes

Where shall I start…a Siberian husky who liked a cup of tea made from your teabag after you have used it, Shitzu who had a breakfast of capsicum, cucumber and popcorn, three small dogs who had an omelette every Sunday, a very old Labrador who had a digestive biscuit every afternoon and two staffies who had their own toast in the morning.
Even with their weird diets they were all healthy and happy!

7 Likes

On a sit we couldn’t put a cup of coffee down anywhere.
One of the dogs went mad for it.
It was like having a toddler in the house.
Although she was fun to watch but we felt quilty.
When we made some

3 Likes

I messaged the owners asking if they had any more treats for the dogs, as they were unimpressed by the fish treats left for them. They ordered a box of venison, ostrich, sea bass, veal, (etc. you get the idea) treats for them!

1 Like

You got to be joking.
Can’t afford that myself.

1 Like

I am now officially a cricket wrangler.
Feed salad and lettuce to the crickets.
Catch the live crickets.
Feed the crickets to the bearded lizard in its glass enclosure.

Or how about hand-feeding shrimps to a shark.
A small epaulette shark in a marine aquarium.

3 Likes

Were you warned you would have to give alive (vivid ?) animals to other bigger animals by the owners ? I could not do that.

1 Like

Yes, I was warned.

I have my limits; I wouldn’t feed mice, dead or alive, to a snake.
In fact, I wouldn’t pet-sit a snake, ever.

2 Likes

My exemple is maybe not as original as some of yours. But I had to give ice cubes to my Florida dogs through the day in order to cool them, I guess… They happily crunched them.

3 Likes