What do you take with you for every sit?

What is one thing you MUST take with you for every sit?

For me, it’s my 6" French knife and a zip lock bag of about 15 herbs and spices. You never know what you’re going to find in someone else’s kitchen and I just wanna know I have what I need to cook the way I like cooking.

Something I WISH I had, (maybe stored at Gatwick Airport between trips?), is a pair of wellies for my UK sits. I don’t own any boots (not needed where I live and wouldn’t carry them in my luggage even if I did) so I’m often borrowing ones belonging to the woman of the house when we take our pups for “walkies” in the early morning wet grass. (And yes, I ask first).

I’d love to hear what items you always take when you travel.

(I would imagine full time sitters would differ from part time sitters.)

2 Likes

My GHD hair straighteners are a must :smiley:

3 Likes

Mia Clarisonic
Yorkshire Tea
White Mug
White King Size Flat Sheet
White Pillow Cases - it’s a WHITE thing.

4 Likes

Ooh, your own pillow case. I like that.

1 Like

For local sits I bring my own coffee maker if the homeowners don’t have one. I’m also into spices especially curry, so I’ll bring certain spices that I enjoy.

5 Likes

Ha, my husband has sometimes joked that he’d like to bring our cappuccino maker on our sits. #TooHeavyForInternationalTravel

4 Likes

I always bring my tomato peeler which is a tooth peeler :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m with Angela. White, white, White cotton bedding - king size so will fit any bed. Teabags and teapot - we like ours to brew for 5 minutes.

2 Likes

Matt and I drive a conversion van to house/pet sits within the United States. We have many things that are stored in the Ford E150 that we don’t bring into the pet owner’s home. But, there are a few things that we often use at sits such as a ricemaker, cast iron skillet, bedding, yoga mats, and toiletries.

2 Likes

I always carry my yoga stretching strap & my roller. If i’m on my own for a long period of time I have a little stuffed moose, my husband has the little polar bear :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: & have had them for many years.

4 Likes

Oh yes, if we were driving, there’d be a lot more things I’d be taking along!

2 Likes

I forgot to mention my zumba wear! I’m a zumba fanatic who looks for nearby classes on each sit.

4 Likes

UK sits we take my special pillow, topper for the bed (cannot get over how most of the beds on our many sits are so uncomfortable, Nespresso maker, potato peeler, Karcher for the shower, Wettex and sponge for washing up, 2 tea towels, plus towels so that we leave the Owners things all clean. European sits - special pillow, takes up most of the case, Nespresso maker, Wettex and sponge, tea towels, towels. There is never much room for our clothes. I have a long check list!

3 Likes

Ooh, I took some exercise equipment once but never used it so don’t bother any more. We did buy a yoga mat in France and then left it at our sit.

2 Likes

I carry drip coffee bags (such as the ones above) have saved me many times & bought some when we thought we’d have to spend time in hotel quarantine.

Also, a skipping rope and a medium or small power bands are super useful when travelling or quarantining…

3 Likes

I like that, taking your exercise equipment and not using it ! :blush:. We used to take several books to do some drawing but found we never got around to doing any. I took up Pilates via zoom during lockdown and on the pet sit we did in September there was a zoom class! My husband also took his drum kit! The house stands on its own and it was at the suggestion of the owners!!

3 Likes

OK wow, a drum kit! Obviously not flying. :rofl:

2 Likes

I always travel with a microfibre cloth and squeegee for the shower. Makes cleaning so much easier. If abroad, I have a double flat sheet with me as I’m not used to just a doona/duvet on top. There’s usually some dog treats as well.

6 Likes

Not sure we have those in the UK, will have to take a look. I like your name :rofl:

3 Likes

We always have a flat sheet at home. I find the beds we have slept in so uncomfortable that I’ve not missed the flat sheet. I think many Owners must put their old bed in the guest room but to be fair European beds are generally harder. I’ve always gone for the softest mattress even when a spring chicken !!

2 Likes