What food , if any, should I leave for my sitter?

But isn’t this what gifts are about?

I know sitters don’t expect it and if they don’t want to use anything, be it that they don’t like the offered or because of allergies, or simply because they never use anything which they haven’t purchased themselves, that’s perfectly alright with me.
I think it’s the offer that counts.

2 Likes

I have not bought or left any food especially for my sitters because I don’t know their dietary needs or likes. But, I tell them they are welcome to use ANY and EVERY thing in my fridge, freezer or cupboards. I cook, so I have all the herbs and spices and dry goods that one could ask for as well as basics in the fridge and freezer. So far the sitter has brought their own groceries.

2 Likes

If I’m flying somewhere it nice if ho can take me a food shop to a supermarket.sometimes the local shop hasn’t got a great variety.I don’t drive so it’s much appreciated.I have been asked which milk I like or bread.I’m a pescatarian so I don’t eat meat.I have been so lucky I have had meals cooked for me on arrival.it depends sometimes I don’t see the ho at all.

1 Like

@Timmy I’m interested in the term ‘certified food saver’, can you elaborate please?
I try to never waste food, I had to throw away half a pot of yoghurt recently and I agonised over it.
I am appalled when I see people wasting food.

2 Likes

I don’t expect the home owner to leave anything out for me. I do short sits with my family so we bring our own food and drinks. We would hope to find some space in the fridge for our perishables though. On the first sit, we were welcome to anything in the fridge and cupboard. We even got a bottle of wine which i haven’t touched yet. We probably took some milk that would expire before the time the homeowner returned home., the second sit there was nothing for us anyway, not even space in the fridge. The cupboard was filled with opened products. We touched nothing in the cupboard nor fridge. The third sit, well the homeowner left some lovely items for us - there was a packet of biscuits, soft drink, chips and some bread. We kindly took the biscuits and chips and that was it. We were so grateful.

It’s a German organisation but maybe there is one where you live?

1 Like

@SandC we love Olio. We’ve done a few collections from Tesco and shared them with others on the app, as well as collecting items from individuals. We even got a turkey once!

None food items can also be given away. There is also the facility to loan items to others - things like tools for example.

1 Like

I always tell (and mean it) sitters to feel as if my home is their home while we are away and that they should feel free to use any food that is in the refrigerator, freezer or cupboards. We are about a 15 minute drive from the nearest grocery store so I feel that their being able to use what is in the house is important.

7 Likes

As a Sitter, a few days before my arrival, I proactively tell the Owner that I will try to use up any leftover perishables (dairy, eggs, produce) in the fridge, so “please don’t feel that you need to throw away good food.” Hopefully this gives Owners a nudge to clean out the fridge! Every sit so far has been perfect. A few produce items, a bit of dairy and eggs to get us started. Some Owners leave a welcome basket, but I don’t expect it. Every Owner has offered us to use oils, spices, pantry items. If I use something up (for example, oatmeal or flour), I replace it.

2 Likes

Milk, cream, and bread can be frozen!

3 Likes

@Timmy thank you that looks really interesting and a great concept.
I’ll have a proper read later.

I think we must have had the most unusual house sits of all time! None have just been basics. A few have included a fridge full of food bought just for our stay, sometimes it’s been please help yourself to beers, another please empty the freezer and another, drink as much wine & aperol as you like. I think the least offered has been bread, milk and eggs and coffee and tea and use up the perishables in the fridge. When one sitter asked us to buy our own water we were speechless (but maybe too spoilt). We always replace anything not offered and we cook for our HOs when they return. I think tell them what you were thinking of leaving and check you’re both happy. I like the idea of a little basket of goodies if you’re not sure or don’t have time to ask that question. That was a bit of a ramble….:rofl:

3 Likes

Hi everyone this is my first post here. My sitter arrives in a few days and going by our conversations she doesn’t have transportation. I want to know if I have to feed my sitter? I’m also curious to know how many people allow the use of their vehicle? I’m not comfortable with that at all. Thanks in advance

3 Likes

I would never expect a homeowner to include food. We’ve had homeowners leave homemade cookies a few times during a Christmas sit, and that was sweet. But unless I’m staying with family, I expect to fend for myself. As for the use of your vehicle, I would make sure he/she knows in advance that they are responsible for their own transportation. Maybe send them the link to your local bus or train schedule.

1 Like

Hi @Dbmt21 and welcome.
As a sitter I would not expect to be catered for during a sit.
Generally we travel to a sit by car and take our own food, toiletries etc.
Communication is the key and your sitter should be aware by now that your vehicle is not available.
If your sitter is arriving by public transport it might be a kind gesture to take her to a store for provisions if they are not readily available in your local area.
After reading previous posts on this forum I would ensure the sitter is aware of what can and cannot be used. Some homeowners have said help yourself and they literally have - although I feel these instances are in the minority.

@Dbmt21 We are sitters and homeowners. We do not provide a vehicle. That’s clearly stated on our listing and we clarify this during the video chat. We have no idea about their driving record so, no thank you.

We do ask the sitter if we can leave them some milk, eggs, bread, peanut butter, bananas and apples for their first morning of the sit. They are also welcome to use any spices, oils and vinegars, and condiments in the fridge.

But no, we do not feed sitters. They are getting free lodging, and we get free pet/house sitting. As sitters, no homeowners have left us food, beer or wine.

@Dbmt21 in addition to all the great advice provided by numerous responses, I’d also consider leaving a list of local stores that deliver groceries. You didn’t mention how long the sit lasts (if more than one shopping trip will be necessary) and if Uber is available in your area, if buses are not an option. All of these suggestions can assist your sitter in obtaining food. Most sitters would have researched on their own, to determine the availability of food in the area. We traveled overseas with no car for several months, and did all our grocery shopping by walking.

I’d never expect a HO to leave me food. I would be more than happy to accept tea and coffee facilities but I always bring my own food and drinks. I have had homeowners offer me to have anything in the fridge and pantry but I prefer just the space in the fridge for my milk.

1 Like

That is a great point! If stores aren’t close, it is lovely if the Host offered to pre-stock some food. I had this done for me once. It was so nice. The host asked me what I’d like, so I did use all the items. I think the key is communication and kindness leads to great experiences!

3 Likes

I leave enough food in the freezer, fridge and dry goods for a few days. No one ever uses it though! Everyone so far has brought their own and maybe used a can or so of supplies. I would be happy if they used up everything! But my sitters seemed to have it so together that they bring everything they need.

4 Likes