What kind of information do you miss seeing on a listing?

Owners publish more or less infos on them and their personal their listing.

Are you expecting more on what topic ?

Home (tv, wifi, amenities, remote place ?)

• photos

Public transportation

Surroundings ? Links to places of interest near by ?

Pets (disabled, educated, obedient ?). Duration of walks, of the daily “work” to be done ?

Profession and personal tastes of owners

If not given do you dare ask more infos BEFORE being selected or after, ready to cancel if you don’t like the answers ?

Or you don’t give a damn; any sit in the country you target will be fine?

2 Likes

We like to ask before hand.
WiFi etc nearest shops

2 Likes

I need my coffee in the morning.
We travel with an electric cool boxs.
I try to buy the milk just before we arrive.
At the HO

2 Likes

Because of our own dog, we always travel by our own car. So transport is not a problem, we do not care about information about the surrounding area. We already know the approximate location from the map. We will take care in detail of that after we have accepted a sit. This is very easy today via the Internet. A few clicks and you know where to go.

What is important to me in the first place are information about the pets. Health condition (disabled, medication), usual or unusual behaviour patterns. Info about this you can never have enough.

Secondarily, info about the house. Preferably photos from the Kitchen, living room and our sitter room. How to Maintenance if it’s unusual in some way. Like heating, water or electricity. On or off-grid? Vegan household, yes or no.

And a must is a clear expectation from the HO what daily task is the sitter required to do.

Personal info about profession, religion, taste or other private things are not essential for us. Because the HO will not be in the house. So house and pets are most important.

If I want to know something I ask.
No, I would not accept, if I do not get all the info I need, even if I ask.

4 Likes

My checklist when I search for housesits include:

1. Information about the pets
  2. House/home/location is inspiring
  3. Must have high speed WiFi (as hubby and I work remotely)
  4. What other responsibilities/tasks are specified
  5. Use of car included
  6. Duration of the sit
  7. What have previous house sitters said about the sit

I prefer to meet the HOs during the application process via FaceTime/WhatsApp to go through list of questions both parties may have and also to clarify “logistics”. When I apply for a housesit I always suggest to have that call.

1 Like

I always need my coffee in the morning :yum:
When we are housesitting in Spain, we bring our own espresso machine :+1:

3 Likes

Do you ask your questions before being selected? When you give your phone are you called before being selected (among other potential sitters?)

My application is always personal tailored to the housesit I am applying for. It starts with an introduction of my hubby and myself, the reason why we are applying for the housesit and our current location (as it might be different to the location of the housesit).
If I have questions for clarification, yes I am adding those to my application.

It has happened that HOs come back and explain that we are shortlisted and we agree on a call. Every time that happened we were chosen.

It has happened that HOs chose us after exchanging a couple of emails and then had the call afterwards.

4 Likes

Very well said. Exactly our way as well.
Elsie

1 Like

I find that many posts have only minimal pictures of the inside of the house.

Of course I understand that the Pets are the priority for pet sitting assignments but it makes me more comfortable to be able to see the environment that we’d be living in.

6 Likes

I second your opinion Elle. I see so many sits with 10 close-up photos of the same (very cute) pet and none that show any of the living space at all. I have wondered if it is for privacy reasons, but it is very hard to know if this is a good situation for me. I work remotely while I travel and have sometimes found myself in homes where there was a lot of clutter and no real workspace. While I feel fine asking about reliable WiFi, I feel awkward asking if there will be space for me.

3 Likes

Pics of the room I’ll be sleeping in, maybe the bathroom as well.
Information about walkablity - grocery stores, coffee shops, restaurants, especially if use of a car isn’t included.
I have asked about use of the car and 80% of the time, the HO has agree. Maybe because several of my reviews mention that I was allowed use of the car.

1 Like

I always put info about grocery stores, bus stops, train stations and good walks on our reviews of our sits. My reviews are always rather long winded but its a good way to give potential sitters information about the animals, the home and the surroundings.

1 Like

Hi @Elle Welcome to our community forum and thank you for contributing to the conversation it’s great to get member’s feedback. We have produced a guide for owners on how to create their best listings, what photos to include and the information needed to get the right sitter applicants also if members see a listing on the site which needs “help” they can always flag this to our Membership Services team who will contact the owner.

Thank you for joining we hope you enjoy connecting with other members and we look forward to sharing in your TrustedHousesitters journey.

Angela & The Team

1 Like

The new listing for a Catsitter in Nicosia, Cyprus looks like it needs some “help” - not a single photo!

3 Likes

Thanks @Lindsay will pass to Membership Services to pick up.

1 Like

How do you know if a home has air conditioning? I’m used to AC and worry about being hot :hot_face::joy:

@Angela-CommunityManager this listing could also do with some photos
House sit for Philip in Flayosc, France | TrustedHousesitters.com

Thank you @Elle passed to Membership Services … this is so helpful, not just to Membership Services but to the owners posting the listings.

When they appear like this it could be that they are older listing with new dates, which don’t go through the approval process and that’s how they can appear this way.

1 Like

If I have no car, I ask transportation. If there is none and I have to rent a car, most of the time I refuse. Mexico, Uber so cheap no problem.But depending on the country. How to carry groceries.